Adding Coolant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
In the am, I'm leaving from TN for a week long trip down to Longview, TX and, then, over to Ft. Worth, TX. As I was checking over my bike this morning, I noticed my coolant level was between the marks (but low) so I decided add coolant to bring it closer to the top mark.

I managed to get the black coolant reservoir cover loose, remove the reservoir cap, add the coolant and, then, found out it's a real biatche to get the bolt back in w/out removing the fairing. After many attempts w/ the bolt between both index finger tips, I managed to get the bolt back in place. Is there a secret to this?

And, it made me wonder if anyone has removed the coolant reservoir cover and left it off? That would leave the cap only on the reservoir.

The only advice I can give is that the plastic is not that difficut to remove and replace. It gets much easier after you've done it a couple of times. I reserve maintenance that requires plastic removal for a time when I can get a couple of things done in the same wrenching session.

Yeah, I removed mine the first time I had the lower fairing panels off a year and half and 25000 km ago. It seemed like overkill to me and as you have seen it's a PITA to do with the fairing in place. I did drill a small hole in the lid and attached a safety wire - just in case the engine should experience a massive boil-over and pop the cap off. That has not happened, though and I have not had to add any coolant either.

Now, don't get me started on what a major PITA it is to remove the pressure cap and add fluid when changing the coolant!!!. GRRRRRRRRR! :angry2:

I can add to the resevoir without taking off the plastic. Take a wedge, plastic or wood shim and block the resevoir in place. Then take the bolt off for the cap andd to and the blot goes directly back in. Then remove the wedge and you are good to go. But if its between the marks let it be. Sometimes filling to the top mark it will overflow in heat or altitude. I had this happen in Nevada this year. After the overflow checked the level and it was between the marks again.

Removing/installing the radiator cap is fairly easy. It's also fairly easy to add coolant at that location. The trick is to disconnect the support bracket from the rectifier/regulator to the coolant pipe assembly (component that the radiator cap fits on). Once this bracket is disconnected you can tilt the coolant pipe assembly inward toward the frame. The assembly is connected to the top of the radiator by a piece of hose. So, it can be tilted toward the frame fairly easily. You can remove/install the cap and add coolant fairly easily once the pipe assembly is tilted in toward the frame.

On my 04 I have added coolant at the resevoir by just reaching in with my wrench undoing the bolt and removing the black cover. I did not have to remove any other plastics.

The thing I found not easy was to find out how full it was. Discovered that a light shone through from the other side shows the level nicely.

Small hands come in handy for somethings. :lol:

I sneak up on her very quietly w/ a rag and some ether and then...............oh adding coolant! Sorry, my bad, wrong forum. It puts the lotion in the basket!!! :p

i tried to r&r the cap with the lower faring in place and had trouble getting the bolt line back up. i went to loosening the lower faring so i could get more clearance. this last time, i tried the cap-only method again and got it to work. you have to really persuade the bottom of the overflow tank up so that the retaining bolt doesn't get cross threaded.

I removed the cap cover (bolted on part) over a year ago. I have yet to lose the cap. Just make sure it's on firmly and you can access the reservoir with ease.

Latest posts