Adding LED Strips to a Gen 3 Mirror

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_TK

Reaction score
In a different thread, I mentioned that I was going to add LED Strips to my mirrors.

I started that project today.

I had to remove the inside center panel (again), and remove the side panels.

Actually, I only got as far as the left side of the bike.

However, I did get the left side working, and the right side will go together much easier tomorrow.

I don't have pictures of the final product yet, but I thought I would share the pin-out information on the Gen 3, as it seems to be different than the previous ones:

JFR+Turn+Signal+Pins.JPG

You will note that there are four pins and not three. The upper-right is ground, and the lower-right is the positive for the blinker. Upper-left is the lead for the running lights. I am not sure what the lower-left is for.

It was a little difficult to figure this out. I have leads with alligator clips, and I tried various combinations. It was the second to last combination of pin positions that let me get the running lights. With a quick swap of the leads, I knew which one was ground.

However, both the lower pins would let the LED strip blink once, and then never again. After a bit more futzing, I tapped into the wires, and then plugged harness to the signal wires, and I got a blinking LED array.

I'll post pictures of the finished product when it is finished. Sadly the bike is torn apart, and I haven't the energy to reassemble it tonight, so I'll be forced to take the cage tomorrow.

I suppose since I haven't installed the right side one yet, I don't want to reassemble anyway.

Time for dinner and a drink.

Nice! I'm all for extra lighting so the cagers can see us better.
punk.gif

I'm having a very slow morning at work, so I took some time to do a more complete write-up.

As mentioned earlier, I installed 4.5" Radiantz flexible amber strips. The Radiantz come with two leads about three feet long. One lead is yellow (positive), and the other is black (negative).

Running lights and turn signals are on separate circuits. The amber strip is a single circuit, so the only option was running lights or signals. I chose signals. Now that I have the taps in place, I can add running lights easily later.

The LED strips come with about 3 foot leads. I cut the leads in half, and then installed connectors. I did installed the connectors for several reasons:
1. Ease of future disassembly
2. Make the mirrors are still discrete units and not permanently bound to some harness or other
3. If I decide to change mirrors, these connectors will make that job easier.

Note: If I were doing this again, I would have made the leads on the LED strips 10" and the harness leads 16" to reduce the amount of wire I had to manage in the final product.

On the left side I tapped into the harness on the bike-side. On the right side, there isn't much space before the factory plug, so I had to tap into the harness on the panel side.

Note: Had I disassembled both sides of the bike before starting the left-side installation, I would have seen the short harness on the right bike-side, and, for consistency, tapped into the harness on the panel-side on the left. I assumed they would be the same on both sides. I was foolish.

The black-with-white wire is the electrical common. The light isn't great in my garage, and I think the color of the signal wire was brown and yellow. Since I can't say for sure, following is a diagram of the pin-outs:

FJR_Signal_Harness.jpg

I wrapped the exposed leads in electrical tape to bundle them together and protect them. I zip-tied the wires to my mirror, and then carefully dressed the remaining wires inside the cowling.

Some pictures I snapped on my morning break:

Right_Side_Signal.jpg

Future_Running_Light_Location.jpg

Are there any details I didn't cover?

The admore have both running lights and turn indicators in one. I liked them so well I put them on the side of the 5th wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
The admore have both running lights and turn indicators in one. I liked them so well I put them on the side of the 5th wheel.
I couldn't find an admore set that was the right size and flexible. Do you provide a link?

I have a feeling my solution will be cheaper in the long-run, but is (nearly certainly) a more time-consuming installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!

Video won't play for me. I take it they only blink with the direction indicators?

I've been thinking if adding these but making them flush with the surface of the OEM elephant ear hand guards on my bike so the wiring is hidden. Now to get off my butt. & do it.

Nice set up, I have running LED's all over the bike.

Always thought about putting a strip for the blinkers....thanks for sharing this idea.

I really like the idea but I'm not so happy about the visibility of the wires. I have been looking at various light designs to see if I can incorporate them into the actual mirror shell, but there is still the problem of the wires.

I'm thinking to bore a small hole up through one of the two arms connecting the mirror shell to the mounting point and then through the mounting point bolt, to feed a small wire - any thoughts guys ?