Advice wanted on 2nd bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been doing some reading tonight. A little excited about the V Strom 1000 ABS. Or even an older V Strom 650 or a Super Tenere. I didn't realize how well they were equipped for street, too. The comment "a motorcycle company's best street bikes are often their adventure bikes" appealed to me. I think I'm gonna test ride the local FZ1 tomorrow, though.

Your FJR is too heavy to really be a great sportbike; the GW isn't different enough to justify it. (I know lots of incendiary words here....)

I would suggest two different directions:

1. Get an exotic sprotsbike ;-) A Tuono, Brutale, something that you can't ride very far on, but you'll have a hoot and be a little proud of owning, rips through corners and sounds great. Or something a little exotic maybe, like a Speed Triple. All are upright and comfy.

2. DL650 (vstrom). Dad has one. It is wicked good on dirt, pretty comfy (not as comfy as the FJR but still pretty good). For its size it is surprisingly light. This is a great bike for crappy pavement, or no pavement. Ugly an utilitiarian but it gets the job done.

If it were my decision: Tuono V4R.

With all the great dirt roads and trails you have in KY I'd go mid-sized dual sport - one of the 600cc class bikes. Enough power to get you to the dirt and still light enough to enjoy it once you get there. Opens up an another world. Depending on tires you can bias the bike more streetish or dirtish - however you prefer to sling it around.

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go the Goldwing route. I've got the perfect sportbike for me already with the FJR.

I was really considering the adventure route. Saturday I went and looked at a new V-Strom 650 and an older V-Strom 1000. The stroms weren't serviced and the dealer told me I'd have to give him 2 hours notice to do a test ride.
sadsmiley.gif
I sat on the V-Stroms and the 1000 felt too heavy and tall for me to be comfortable in the hills and trails. The 650 was a LOT lighter but it still was tall. I kept thinking about my older brother (my height) whose wife made him switch to a boat a couple years ago after he got in a bind in California and fell over down a hill and hurt himself pretty bad.

I also maneuvered around an FZ1, and it felt a lot more nimble and seemed like it would've been pretty easy for me to manage. It would have been really fun but I don't know how smart I would have been with it. I think I'll probably always want one a little, but I don't need to be doing track days.

But then the wife and I test drove a Goldwing and I really noticed the difference. Even with my great windshield and Russell Day Long seats, she was shocked how much difference there was on the Wing in the wind. More importantly, she gets leg pain on the FJR (half what she did on the VTX) but she said the Goldwing was much more like sitting in a chair than the bind she feels on the FJR. So it really is going to add a lot of miles and comfort to our trips, which I need to invest in since I am so blessed to have a wife that "usually" likes to ride with me.

And the great news is that I found a beautiful blue low mileage 2007 Goldwing with the options I want on ebay. I was nervous about doing a fly and buy on ebay, but the guy owns an FJR! He's gotta be okay, right? He was very communicative, helpful, non-pushy and seemed like a great guy from his emails. Then I found out he's a forum member. He accepted my offer this afternoon. Personally, I'd trust the credibility of a long time FJRforum member more than I would trust a dealer. I won't identify him unless he wants to identify himself, but I'm looking forward to meeting him Friday and much more excited to meet our new blue baby!

So I bought a 2007 FJR with 7000 miles two years ago, and a 2007 Goldwing with 7000 miles this year. I see a nice habit forming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if the wife isn't happy, no one is happy! Looks like you already have that all figured out. Good luck and happy riding with the lightly used GW.

Nice! What color did is your Wing? Lots of good information from the GL1800 forum. Replace your stock valve stems (known to blow out) with these https://bikeeffects.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=tire+valves&sprice=&stype=&scat=&sman=
Jeff of Bike Effects is a former FJR owner and a top notch guy.

You and the Mrs. will enjoy the comfort and before you know it the Darkside will be calling

IMG_1037_zpscad36355.jpg
Don't listen to him, I understand that every flatsider highsides on their first turn...

I don't know Wheatie. The only time my bike fell down was when you were involved. My Wing is darkside and doesn't highside. It's just YOU.
punk.gif

I don't know Wheatie. The only time my bike fell down was when you were involved. My Wing is darkside and doesn't highside. It's just YOU. :punk:
Please don't blame the drinking on me...

:D
Right...We're supposed to blame our drinking on our wives or our jobs... OR our lack of wives or jobs. Not each other.

PS. I tried to like your post Wheaties, but I got shot down, so this'll have to do.

Darn. I was hoping the OP would see that he still has a few good years left in him for a fun bike before succumbing to the spousal pressure to join the 2 wheel land barge riders. Why rush into old age, right? It'll be here soon enough.

In any case, I hope the Wing turns out to be everything that you wanted.

He chose his FJR for his one-up fun bike and his GW as his two-up fun bike. If that's his bag, I see no down side to that...

Besides, a GW with the right operator can move along pretty good...

Yeah, yeah I know. If grinding the floor boards all over the road is your thing, that's great.

But... I'm sure he won't be doing that with his missus on the back, right? And, sorry if this offends anyone, but... I still do not see the FJR as a "great 1-up fun bike." YFBMV*

*special acronym decoder for HRZ:

Your Fun Bike May Vary

bleh.gif

It's been my great one-up fun bike for 10 years now. I just happen to tour with it, as that is my primary reason for having a bike.

This summer, I will have the $$ to purchase a second bike...it will not be used for touring, but for day rides. An FZ-09 looks like the ticket for me.

However, if that $$ never arrived, I would have no complaints at wupping it up on my FJR like I have been doing since 2003. Seems like its been fun enough for me...

...sorry for your disappointment.

But... I'm sure he won't be doing that with his missus on the back, right? And, sorry if this offends anyone, but... I still do not see the FJR as a "great 1-up fun bike."
I can't argue with your experience Fred, but it's still way more bike than I've ever owned in 20 years of riding and I still haven't learned all she can do.

It'll be an interesting year to find out how much difference we feel on the Goldwing on a long trip. Hope to get a feel driving back from Pittsburgh through VW Friday afternoon. If I regret it too much, I can trade it in just in time for the FZ09s to start being available.

Please don't tell my FJR, but if I really wanted variety, I'd get rid of her and go to the FZ09 or FZ1 alongside the wing. As many mixed feelings as I had about parting with the VTX, there's no way that's happening for a long time.

And Wheatie, I won't darkside at first, but you never know.