Adware/Spyware Remover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompsonian

Mr. Christmas Pants
Reaction score
So my laptop has got a horrible infection of adware/spyware/something. I don't know where it is or where it came from. I tried downloading a Microsoft Adware/Spyware removal tool and it ain't done shit. My Norton subscription has expired and I'm too broke right now to re-up it. Anyone know anything good out there that is free for download? I'm running XP and that's aboot all I know. All help/ideas appreciated!

So my laptop has got a horrible infection of adware/spyware/something. I don't know where it is or where it came from. I tried downloading a Microsoft Adware/Spyware removal tool and it ain't done shit. My Norton subscription has expired and I'm too broke right now to re-up it. Anyone know anything good out there that is free for download? I'm running XP and that's aboot all I know. All help/ideas appreciated!
Rose's computer got blasted a few months ago with a few trojans and we had to wipe it out and reset it to factory defaults. We were able to save most of her pictures and important documents. While on the phone with Dell, one of the techs recommended Super anti-spyware. I think you can find it at Super Anti-Spyware. It seems to work really well. And it is free!! Best of luck!

+1 on AVG

If it is Spyware/Adware you might have some luck with Ad-Aware, easiest way to find the free version is go to download.com and search for it. It's made by Lavasoft.

JW

Funny you should mention AdAware. I didn't have the problem until after I installed AdAware. my comp was running slow, so I thought it was adware. Went to CNET and downloaded it and now they are hitting ablmost every 5 minutes it seems like. I'll try the AVG and see what happens.

It would help to have a description of exactly what is happening to your system. There are classes of cooties that your computer can have. At the lowest level are simply trackers then there are viruses that can cause operational problems including Windows functions and features becoming corrupt and in the upper level are malware and rootkits.

I suspect that what you are complaining about is actually malware that combines a Trojan and a worm. Malware slips in and replaces a Microsoft file with one of its own, sprinkles the registry with supporting files and then creates the reoccurring pop-up messages from heck. Even if you track down every single file that the malware has created you will be left with the replacement file that has a valid Microsoft name and recently will pass or avoid a Microsoft authentication test. The next time you boot your machine it runs the replacement Microsoft file which then sprinkles the registry and causes the recreation of the bad files again. If this is what you have, hopefully one of the IT guys here can steer you toward a good tool to help you exorcise your machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use any. The irony of these programs is just too much, they protect from computer programs that are going to slow your computer down? Nothing has ever slowed my computer down more than having one of these things skulking about in memory looking for trouble and the latest updates. I'll take the a hit once every two years and remove the problem by hand. 'Course the router is hardware firewalled, and I keep that up to date.

Download the free version of Webroot Spyware Blaster. It will clean that mess up and you have 14 days of free use. You will probably end up buying the home version. It WORKS.

Ok. Description of problem:

Would open IE and it would open without an address bar. Would close it, then reopen, address bar intact. Also would get pop-ups for stupid shit. Not your typical pop-ups either. The same ones over and over. Would constanly get something saying it was a Microsoft Scanner tool. I never clicked it since I don't trust anyting.

Downloaded the AVG Anit-Virus and it found 1 Trojan in there and cleaned it all out. So far, so good. We will see how it works as time progresses. Thanks to everryone for advice/reccommends.

It would help to have a description of exactly what is happening to your system. There are classes of cooties that your computer can have. At the lowest level are simply trackers then there are viruses that can cause operational problems including Windows functions and features becoming corrupt and in the upper level are malware and rootkits.
I suspect that what you are complaining about is actually malware that combines a Trojan and a worm. Malware slips in and replaces a Microsoft file with one of its own, sprinkles the registry with supporting files and then creates the reoccurring pop-up messages from heck. Even if you track down every single file that the malware has created you will be left with the replacement file that has a valid Microsoft name and recently will pass or avoid a Microsoft authentication test. The next time you boot your machine it runs the replacement Microsoft file which then sprinkles the registry and causes the recreation of the bad files again. If this is what you have, hopefully one of the IT guys here can steer you toward a good tool to help you exorcise your machine.
This sort of thing probably explains why I had to get my hard drive wiped and the operating systems reloaded. My problems were kind of like Thompsonian's, with my puter getting bombarded with cookies and some sort of BS fake MS Scan for spyware popups. (Ex-GF admitted to having clicked on one of those at the beginning of this adventure.)

I took it to a good tech who confirmed that I had a bunch of malware infecting the system and explained that even cleaning it once it was on there wouldn't necessarily get rid of the problem. So, the hard drive was wiped, my computer was reloaded, and Webroot's Spy Sweeper was installed to keep viruses, adware, spyware etc. off the machine in the future.

Glad to see the system is back up to snuff.

My own preferences are AVG for antivirus, and Spybot for malware. I don't install the active parts of Spybot, just the scanner, which I run every week or so. That means the only real-time scanner is the antivirus, so my system's performance stays as high as I can get it.

In a corporate environment the Symantec product (Antivirus Corporate edition, or the newer Endpoint Security) is hard to beat. It's much faster than the Norton home stuff from the same company, and is actually configurable for what level of protection you need. If you try to tone down the Norton product it keeps telling you that you have to "FIX" it, without telling you what it's doing.

This sort of thing probably explains why I had to get my hard drive wiped and the operating systems reloaded. My problems were kind of like Thompsonian's, with my puter getting bombarded with cookies and some sort of BS fake MS Scan for spyware popups. (Ex-GF admitted to having clicked on one of those at the beginning of this adventure.)

I took it to a good tech who confirmed that I had a bunch of malware infecting the system and explained that even cleaning it once it was on there wouldn't necessarily get rid of the problem. So, the hard drive was wiped, my computer was reloaded, and Webroot's Spy Sweeper was installed to keep viruses, adware, spyware etc. off the machine in the future.
"MS Scan" is a known Malware application. It's nasty...actually downloads a crap load of adware, spyware, etc and won't let you go until you buy it - and then good luck.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.24 is free, available at download.com and gets ride of it.

Bitdefender Antivirus has been proven by CNET and other independent sources to be in the top three AV applications. BTW, Norton and McAfee were near the bottom. Free 30-day trial at bitdefender.com and then it's $29.95 for use on up to three computers. Use ZoneAlarm for your firewall instead of the Windows firewall - free and more effective.

Multi-level defense is optimum - Adaware, Spybot, and Spywareblaster (all available at download.com) make a good cocktail. Be sure to update first before you run them.

Finally, after everything has been run and cleaned, do a Registry Clean with Abexo Registry Cleaner and then a defrag with Auslogics Disk Defrag 1.4.16.308 (be sure to go into Setting/Program settings/Defragmentation and choose "Remove Temporary files before defragmentation". Programs are free at download.com.

Open your browser and be sure to go into Internet Options to delete your temporary browser files, too.

Do all your Windows updates.

Then, when you're finished, set a Restore Point.

BTW, I charge $80 an hour for this, and the most you'd spend would be $29.95 and about four hours...