AE clutch bleed procedure?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjskach

Reaction score
My 06 AE has issue when in 5th gear it will not downshift. Shift light comes on and I have to let it bog down until engine dies. Will be fine once I restart until I am in 5th gear. If I never use 5th gear all is fine. Am going to change actuator module and bleed. I have heard air pockets can cause this.

Try a search.

Put   

bleed clutch ae 

in the search box and tell it you want to search all terms.  This board thankfully allows search terms below four letters. (Didn't before the upgrade.)

Lots of information will pop up.

If you click on the magnifying glass, you get a lot more search options (advanced search) which are pretty comprehensive.  Don't need it for this.

My 06 AE has issue when in 5th gear it will not downshift. Shift light comes on and I have to let it bog down until engine dies. Will be fine once I restart until I am in 5th gear. If I never use 5th gear all is fine. Am going to change actuator module and bleed. I have heard air pockets can cause this.
I once had a similar problem (albeit on a Gen 3) that was caused by the gear position feedback potentiometer not set up properly, it would hang in 5th gear, would hang until the engine stalled. Cycling the ignition enabled normal running until it hung in 4th again. The shop re-taught the MCU the potentiometer positions in each gear and all was well.

If you really want to bleed the clutch, be aware it is not trivial, below are links to relevant pages of the workshop manual:

(Click on any image for larger view)

The official procedure calls for removing the swing-arm to manually operate the clutch. My understanding is that this is unnecessary, that cycling the ignition operates the clutch sufficiently - I haven't done this, so can't confirm.

[edit]

Found where I posted about my issue : So, maybe you don't want a Gen 3 YCC-S

[/edit]

Hello Christopher,

Same bike here, nice ride...

Been a bit, but I think I just cycled the ignition with a hose on bleeder in a cup to cycle fluid through. Every ignition cycle activates the master cylinder when in gear as the AE releases the clutch when you turn the key so you can start. I may have also removed the slave and pressed in the puck a few times as well. Just be careful you don't have the puck (slave piston) pop out or have the reservoir run out. Somewhere someone posted a handy procedure that I followed.

Probably bleed before messing with gear position pot or reprogramming in my opinion

You should also check how much friction the clutch has to final drive while released. That will tell you if fully released. Think I had in in 1st on center stand holding rear wheel. Just don't spin fast or you will get a ABS light/code.

Are you using the proper oil for wet clutch ie. MC oil and no fancy additives?

Ohh, another thing is that a recall was done about gear change motor mount. You may want to check if the superseeded bracket is installed and also check if rod is adjusted properly.

Enjoy!

Hello Christopher,

Same bike here, nice ride...

Been a bit, but I think I just cycled the ignition with a hose on bleeder in a cup to cycle fluid through. Every ignition cycle activates the master cylinder when in gear as the AE releases the clutch when you turn the key so you can start. I may have also removed the slave and pressed in the puck a few times as well. Just be careful you don't have the puck (slave piston) pop out or have the reservoir run out. Somewhere someone posted a handy procedure that I followed.

Probably bleed before messing with gear position pot or reprogramming in my opinion

You should also check how much friction the clutch has to final drive while released. That will tell you if fully released. Think I had in in 1st on center stand holding rear wheel. Just don't spin fast or you will get a ABS light/code.

Are you using the proper oil for wet clutch ie. MC oil and no fancy additives?

Ohh, another thing is that a recall was done about gear change motor mount. You may want to check if the superseeded bracket is installed and also check if rod is adjusted properly.

Enjoy!
Similar; I leave ignition on, 'n flick between 1st 'n neutral,  w/ mah Harbor Freight pneumatic bleeder running. does the trick