fog/spot combo fork light source

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
About 4 years ago I bought some incredible 2" LED lights to mount on the forks on my 2020 FJR1300ES. They were sold by advmonster.com, which is out of business now. What was so awesome about these lights is that they had a lower power amber fog light with a decent cutoff to not blind oncoming cars and also a high power white driving light that I wired to turn on when I flipped the bike high beams on. They're still working great on the FJR, but I went to get a set for my wife's Gold Wing that I'm farkling and they are nowhere to be found. They were sold as Model 57FA lights at the defunct webpage.
So the question is, does anyone know of a source for a similar light?

Can't speak for quality, but I am looking at some very inexpensive auxiliary lights on AliExpress. They seem to have several models with yellow/white combinations. Worth a look...

Edit: I'm looking at ones probably better suited to conspicuity rather than lighting up the night.

Last edited:
I put these on my previous FJR and liked them so much I put a set on my current FJR. They're really small, have a rectangular beam pattern and the white beam does aim higher than the amber. They're very small but throw out a lot of light so I have them aimed pretty low with the amber on all the time. They flip with my high beams and end up pointing down the road quite a ways. They're cheap and you get what you pay for but, they work well for my purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/Zmoon-Motorc...x=amber+white+auxillary+lights,aps,98&sr=8-15

This is for vzhq16: Apparently, there is no switch, relay or fuse included with the lights. So, how did you wire the lights? Also, where did you mount them. If it's not too much trouble, can you provide pictures, please?

This is for vzhq16: Apparently, there is no switch, relay or fuse included with the lights. So, how did you wire the lights? Also, where did you mount them. If it's not too much trouble, can you provide pictures, please?
I just looked at the link and they have a "Frequently Bought Together" bit at the bottom where they include harness/switch and mounting hardware which almost double the cost. I would also like to see @vzhq16 's solution for mounting...

I mounted them to the upper fender mounting hole by using a slightly longer bolt and a hard plastic spacer. The wiring is a little trickier. I used an auxiliary fuse block mounted under the seat for switched power. I have relays set up to make them do some tricks. When the bike is keyed on, they come on amber as long as the switch under the handlebars is set to "normal". If that switch is not in it's "normal position, the lights are off. Second, the trigger for the high beam toggle is taken from a Clearwater pigtail you can purchase from them for a pretty reasonable price. It's the only way I found to work with the negative power control of the headlights. There's a second switch that I can punch to make the aux lights blink opposite of the turn signals too but, that's just fluff. The trick is that if you send power to both the amber and white leads on these lights, you get amber. If you then kill power to the amber lead, you get white so, that's what that Clearwater relay does. Flip on the high beams and it kills power to the amber lead and the lights go white.

Attachments

• AuxLights_01.jpg
    AuxLights_01.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 2
  • AuxLights_02.jpg
    AuxLights_02.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 1
  • AuxLights_03.jpg
    AuxLights_03.jpg
    976.2 KB · Views: 1
  • AuxLights_04.jpg
    AuxLights_04.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 1
  • AuxLights_05.jpg
    AuxLights_05.jpg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 1
  • AuxLights_06.jpg
    AuxLights_06.jpg
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 1
  • AuxLights_07.jpg
    AuxLights_07.jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 0
  • AuxLights_08.jpg
    AuxLights_08.jpg
    901.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ClearwaterLightsJumper.JPG
    ClearwaterLightsJumper.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
I mounted them to the upper fender mounting hole by using a slightly longer bolt and a hard plastic spacer. The wiring is a little trickier. I used an auxiliary fuse block mounted under the seat for switched power. I have relays set up to make them do some tricks. When the bike is keyed on, they come on amber as long as the switch under the handlebars is set to "normal". If that switch is not in it's "normal position, the lights are off. Second, the trigger for the high beam toggle is taken from a Clearwater pigtail you can purchase from them for a pretty reasonable price. It's the only way I found to work with the negative power control of the headlights. There's a second switch that I can punch to make the aux lights blink opposite of the turn signals too but, that's just fluff. The trick is that if you send power to both the amber and white leads on these lights, you get amber. If you then kill power to the amber lead, you get white so, that's what that Clearwater relay does. Flip on the high beams and it kills power to the amber lead and the lights go white.
Very nice, thank you. So , you need their harness or something similar (such as the Clearwater pigtail you used) to get the different modes? I assume cycling with a simple on-off switch doesn't do it.

Very nice, thank you. So , you need their harness or something similar (such as the Clearwater pigtail you used) to get the different modes? I assume cycling with a simple on-off switch doesn't do it.
You could use a switch to flip them manually but, I wanted them to flip automatically. That's why I used the Clearwater Lighting pigtail.

Thanks for the follow-up info. Much appreciated.