AE Shift Actuator Bracket failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while but I brought my baby home tonight! Bob Weaver Motorsports and Mama Yama came though and replaced the shift actuator, the rear subframe and something called the "Stay Kit Shift Act C", all covered under recall (about $3100 all told, according to the guy who printed up my paperwork). They actually finished it about a week ago, but tonight was the first chance we had to run up there and get it. It was also the last day we're likely to see with decent temps for a long while. It was about 66 according to the dash on my way home around 7:30pm. Tomorrow, there is a winter storm notice in affect with predictions of up to 8 inches of snow, so tonight was likely my last shot at actually riding the thing home!

Anyway, just figured I'd update this. Got the bike back just in time to put her to bed for the winter.
upset.gif

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, but I thought of responding...does that count? :fool: I have about 36,500 miles on the bike right now. Should have been a bit more, but the return trip was on a trailer, so...

It's the thought that counts. Lol

Much lower miles than I had expected.

Great to read they stepped up and stood behind their product. Your unfortunate incident had me seriously considering moving to another model. But I love this bike! So I will continue to both ride and monitor the part.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as it shifted it was better than it was. Did you get to see the parts replaced or get some photos of what failed?

Didn't get to see parts as the service desk was long closed for the day by the time I was able to get there to pick it up. I suspect the parts were long gone anyway, since it had been completed over a week before I was able to retrieve it. Not sure why the actuator was replaced, as it appeared fine, but perhaps it suffered some internal damage when the bracket let go as I was shifting...never know for sure I suppose.

... Not sure why the actuator was replaced, as it appeared fine ...
In my experience of Yamaha picking up the tab for something, they will replace everything that might be relevant, witness my brake issue, where I later found out they'd changed discs, calipers, pads, all fasteners around, brake fluid ...
I think they take the view that the marginal (not retail) cost of the new bits is much less than the labour costs of a dealership having to re-do something.

Could be that the actuator had some sort of a bind or something that put stress on the mount. Mama Yamaha would know more about the initial recall and possible results.

Latest posts