AE Shift Actuator Bracket failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is fantastic news! From your situation, I was getting ready to expose that area on my bike to take a look see for any detectable cracking in progress. I have all the equipment in the world for that. Now, I can relax a little. Great news indeed. I'm happy for you. I was ready to catch the bike if I could while you were getting ready to roll it into the van. Very happy that there was NO Utube video of the "Watch This" moment.
yahoo.gif
All I could think of when folks were saying "We have enough guys, we can just pick it up! We don't need no ramp!" is what sort of YouTube moment it would make.
uhoh.gif

Still not sure if I understood her exactly, as she said something to the effect that Yamaha would do the actuator recall over again as that was the way to get the bracket replaced. Really not quite certain how that would work, since the bracket is supposed to be welded to the rear subframe. I just wonder if maybe when they looked closer, they found cracks on the mounting ears of the actuator? Not saying no to a good thing, but I really didn't think the failure I experienced was related to the original recall. It was a pleasant surprise to be sure!!

I'm a little disappointed that we're not going to do a impromptu tech day. But this is probably the best possible solution.

I'm sure Ray would have worked his magic. I probably would have broke something else.

Good news.

Their were way to many cameras rolling video when that bike was loaded. I thought for sure I was about to see an FJR mate with a van (= Goldwing!) . As it was, KJ and crew only 'almost' pushed it through the front window :D

That bracket fails after the 25th shift when you're sitting still.

Just kidding!!

I've wondered how this system reacts to motionless shifts.

Obviously it's something to be avoided.

When the actuator bangs in and the gear dogs don't mesh what gives?

That bracket fails after the 25th shift when you're sitting still.
Just kidding!!

I've wondered how this system reacts to motionless shifts.

But don't they "Constant"ly Mesh?

^^^^ Ahh, grasshopper... the gears are indeed always Constantly Meshed. They turn freely on a shaft until a gear dog engages the gears, locking them together in driven sets. The gears can only be engaged in sequence but being in constant mesh eliminates the need for synchronizers. So, as you can now see, good ol' Constant Mesh is just spinning his gears
wink.png
and needs to be concerned about banging his dogs as he mentioned in his post. This can't be fully explored until Friday :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news.
Their were way to many cameras rolling video when that bike was loaded. I thought for sure I was about to see an FJR mate with a van (= Goldwing!) . As it was, KJ and crew only 'almost' pushed it through the front window
biggrin.png
It (Mike's AE) went up like a fat lady seeking the fried-dough machine at the State Fair!.

And Steve; we could of gotten a full dressed Winger up that ramp! (minus the height issue of course). :) Put me as the anchor-man anytime!

Mike & Laura; I'm glad there is a happy ending to all this, you guys are awesome people!. I'm wishing you nothing but positive good luck from now on!!!

Cheers M8s

?..I've wondered how this system reacts to motionless shifts.

If the change fails, It simply stops trying after its short impulse time.
It can happen when stationary, just like with a manual.

My take is that the actuator doesn't push hard enough to bend the shift forks (or anything else for that matter). Nor is there any way of stamping on a lever it to increase the force beyond a safe level.

If it happens, like you can do with a manual, just rock the bike a little and try again. There is, of course, no option to turn the gearbox a little by feathering the clutch in and out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at a drawing of the shift rod in the service manual it appears to be spring-loaded with a dampener.

I assumed that the rod would shorten if it met a lot of resistance when attempting a shift.

Shifting while motionless is verboten.

Mike

I'm glad it is turning out ok for you. I was reading the thread today and I was about to jump into the impromptu tech day! A late in the season tech day! Ideal to get the bikes ready for the winter! Perfect! But then again. They have it all figured out!

Good man yourself Mike! Excellent news!

Luis

I'm a little confused...... did they order the actuator ($2000) or the subframe, or both?
She said around $2000, didn't specify if that was just parts or included shop time. I remember a figure of $1400 for the actuator from another thread, but that was maybe from back n '08. The subframe is what, $400-$500? That would be around $2000 for parts, if that is what they're doing. I will try to give them a call tomorrow to get some clarification.

Any update Mike?
Haven't heard anything since their initial call, and haven't had time during business hours lately to even make a call. If I can't get to them later today, it may be Monday before I can find out what's what.
fool.gif

Update as of this afternoon. Part(s) were on back order and supposedly shipped last Friday and will arrive tomorrow. May have the bike back by Saturday if the tech doesn't run into issues installing a new motor in a wave runner (his current project).

She also explained a little about the original recall and why Yamaha was willing to cover this. The original recall procedure was to use a torque wrench at a certain setting to see if the actuator mount bolts turned. If they did, the recall was performed, and parts replaced (still not clear if that was just the actuator or if it also included subframe, but I believe it was both). On my bike, apparently the bolts didn't move (were torqued properly by factory) so in fact no replacement took place. Yamaha apparently now feels it should have been replaced regardless, hence their willingness to cover me. Since I never took mine apart, I can only speculate, but I bet the mount bolts thread into the bracket that is welded to the subframe (no nuts, threads cut into bracket) and that's why I think the original recall replaced both parts. I'll get the full scoop when I go pick it up.

Thanks for the update mike, To bad you did not live closer to the shop to stop by and get some photos of what failed while it is apart.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Madmudder" data-cid="1343454" data-time="1476736258"><p>

Thanks for the update mike, To bad you did not live closer to the shop to stop by and get some photos of what failed while it is apart.</p></blockquote>

Hell, I could be right next door and I probably wouldn't have the time to walk over there. It's all good though as long as it gets fixed. We're missing prime leaf-peeping time!!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Madmudder" data-cid="1343454" data-time="1476736258"><p>Thanks for the update mike, To bad you did not live closer to the shop to stop by and get some photos of what failed while it is apart.</p></blockquote>

Hell, I could be right next door and I probably wouldn't have the time to walk over there. It's all good though as long as it gets fixed. We're missing prime leaf-peeping time!!
You just might have to take time to go through the allegheny forest on tionesta creek in your cayak. I followed it for a few hours on the bike last fall. As much as I love riding I think the true beauty of the season would be best experienced from the water very peaceful and it offers the ability to see much more detail.

Glad to hear that it's going your way on the recall. Hopefully we still get a stretch of riding weather once you get her back.