AE shift light on and disappeared!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbird

Reaction score
Last weekend I was on a long distance trip to Zion and my AE shift warning light was on in the middle of freeway riding at about 80 mph. The light was on for about few minutes and disappeared. Half hour later I pulled over to a gas station to check out if anything wrong. Shift rod and bracket looks normal and not loose. Restarting the engine a few times and still no light. And 400 miles of the rest of the trip shows no such warning light. Very strange. Is this a signal of something about to break? Do any AE owners experience similar thing? Thanks for your help.

Are you absolutely sure it was the shift warning light?

I'd suggest checking for any stored error codes.

One other possibility, the back brake binding can result in the shift computer complaining. I had that experience, wrote it up here, might be worth a check.

Ah I read up your post and realized I had a similar amber light on as on your picture! So it's ABS thing and brake related. I'll check out the brake light and probably just lubricate the brake levers Thanks for the suggestion Mcatrophy! Mine has more than 62k miles now and it should get some grease here an there.

I had this issue and screwed around for some time. Finally a Yamaha mechanic told me that there is a sensor involved with the rear brake pedal that can cause this. I didn't watch what he did, but it never happened again when he was done.