AE shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the foot shifter is definately more solid, it seems the drive shaft doesn't clunk as bad, and you don't hear the engine over rev for a split second when shifting (this over rev I've only noticed when I don't get off of the throttle while shifting and using the paddles). Because I have acquired memory loss largely brought on by consuming massive quantities of my favorite beverage throughout the past fifty some years, I had to develop a way to remember which finger to use when shifting. I didn't want to be shifting down by accident when I had someone directly on my ass (that could get ugly real fast) so I developed my own saying. Index finger used to gear up, (as in, going up, no direction but up) and the thumb to gear down (as in thumbs down, boo).

I will say though there are way too many things to do on the left side of the handlebar, I still get confused with all of these confounded buttons. I have accidently blown the horn so often that when people see me coming they automatically wave to me (it's like they figured I was doing this on purpose, so wanting to save face I let them think I am doing this on purpose).

I really haven't checked, but is the gearing mechanically attached to the foot shifter? If so, this would explain things a lot better to me. All the computer does is finds a spot where the gears will mesh with each other and not grind, and the foot shifting is actually mechanical. If this is the case I think I will quit using the finger thumb shifter, it's got to be better on the drivetrain? About the only thing I have done to shift without hearing the driveshaft bump, is when I'm just about ready to shift I just barely get off of the throttle when shifting, once shifted I get right back onto the throttle. This is one way I have found it doesn't seem to be as hard on the drivetrain, and actually sounds like I used a clutch.

Be Safe

clutchless1

When I purchased mine, the original owner said he felt it shifted faster with the foot. :huh: I have tried both, there might be something to the theory, but the signal still has to go through the ECC to the shift rod. I find that I use the finger/thumb shift all the time, just easier to deal with once you get the finger to gas ratio figured out. B)

I've gotten almost 3000 miles on the bike now and I have started to use the finger-shift much more BUT i don't use my thumb to gear down, I use my finger to do both the upshift and downshift. It's so damned easy that way.

For reasons beyond my understanding, I must admit that I can do smoother shifts with my foot :huh: Go figure it!

I just installed the lowering peg and they stick out and make it very hard to shift with your foot and rear brake for that matter? I use my front (linked) brakes and shifter so my feet do not need to do anything.

I just installed the lowering peg and they stick out and make it very hard to shift with your foot and rear brake for that matter? I use my front (linked) brakes and shifter so my feet do not need to do anything.
\begin hijack

I thought actuating the front lever only actuated the front brakes, and the rear actuates both (at least on my 06). Maybe im wrong...

\end hijack

\begin hijack

I thought actuating the front lever only actuated the front brakes, and the rear actuates both (at least on my 06). Maybe im wrong...

\end hijack
Brakes are linked.

I ended up buying the A, but since the moment I left the dealership on the AE, I felt home with it. Even before the end of my 30-mile test ride, I was banging WOT shifts like a pro. And I was so smooth at normal speeds that I doubt I'll do any better on the A.

Again, if I had found a new '06AE cheaper than the '07A, I'd have bought it. But couldn't justify paying over 2 grand more. After all, the main issue remains: How reliable will it be? THAT IS the question. Will certainly be paying attention as AE owners accumulate miles. Later.

JC

Latest posts