AE vs Standard Clutch Pro and Con

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I confess, the AE has a downside. Moving at a very slow speed (just fast enough to balance) across a small patch of ice, the back wheel will push faster than the front wheel wants to move. With no clutch lever the back tries to pass the front.
lazy.gif
DAMHIK.
I've never had that problem.
biggrin.png

I have an '09 AE, and would buy another AE over the manual clutch. I've had my bike for a year now (NOS, in the crate when I bought it last summer). I've just hit the 4k mark, after my first long trip on the bike from Seattle to San Jose and back via the scenic route. The only thing it needs is a cruise control... I use a Go Cruise and it works well, but you have to fiddle with it every few minutes and of course it speeds up going downhill, slows down going uphill, etc. If Yamaha brought in a batch of Gen III AEs I'd get one in a heartbeat.

The only drawback is not being able to pull the clutch in after a high speed pass, to coast back down to reasonable speed. Engine braking is VERY effective on this beast. Advantages include not having to worry about clutch management at low speeds or when the brain is otherwise fully occupied... the bike is much safer for less-experienced riders. Low speed maneuvering is easy... use 2nd gear and just drag the rear brake. No chance of stalling. I've never had a problem with the auto clutch.

I only wish Yamaha would develop their version of Honda's DCT as found on the VFR1200. Now THAT would be a sweet bike.

Lack of Cruise Control choices is a (-minus) with the AE
Got an Audiovox CC on my 2006 AE. I didn't know there was a CC that won't work on the AE.
Yes on the AV but not an easy install. Several of the friction/lever types won't fit the AE.
Thanks. I was unaware of that, likely because, with the AV, I don't need a friction/lever, throttle-lock type device. Before I got the AV, I tried a Throttle Meister; it fit, and it worked, and it was better than nothing, but I found I wanted a full-on cruise control, not just a throttle-lock. Even with the AV, I left the Throttle-Meister on because it absorbs some of the high-frequency handlebar vibration.

Which of the friction/lever types won't fit the AE? That would be a useful bit of lore for anyone looking to purchase or modify an AE/AS. I'm curious because they all fit on the throttle-side of the handlebar, and as far as I know, the throttle-side of the handlebar is the same on the A and AE/AS. Am I wrong about that?

I certainly thank everyone for the input. I am sold on the AE, however at this time I am going to pass on it. The numbers are just not there for the loan. Great price for a show room bike with 5400 on it and the extras of Side bags and back trunk with back rest. Frame Sliders, Exhaust and tinted shield.

I will be hanging out to get in the know for such a great bike, I am looking forward to the day I bring it home.
Be patient and an AE will be advertised here with the mileage you are looking for & price in your budget.

I like shifting and saw the AE as something else that could go wrong. With that said I haven’t seen very many issues posted on this forum to make me say, I’m glad I didn’t get an AE. You can’t go wrong with either one.

Well there is one issue, the manual shift riders like to make the AE riders buy lunch.
smile.png
Why?! Because you smoke them on the twisties? :)
Dream On, Grandpa!!! :finger:

The AE is like beer... You can live without it, but why in the hell would you want too? I love it, it is silky smooth and shifts like pulling the trigger on a semi auto pistol.

Do you ever get a big clunky shift on an AE...say if you shift down before a curve into a very high RPM situation? Just curious...

Slow speed turns (going around city street corners) sometimes engages the clutch with a clunk. You can restrict that from happening by letting the AE drag/feather the power by staying in second gear since the shift computer wont allow the engine to stall. Otherwise I rear-brake drag during slow gas station maneuvers in first gear.

I've never allowed myself to get use to the finger shifter and leave it disabled so that if I ever get on a conventional manual clutch I wouldn't mistakenly be reaching for the missing finger shifter
no.gif
. But that's just me.

...I've never allowed myself to get use to the finger shifter and leave it disabled so that if I ever get on a conventional manual clutch I wouldn't mistakenly be reaching for the missing finger shifter :no: . But that's just me.
I take the totally opposite view. I only use the finger shifter so when I go to a conventional I won't forget to use the clutch lever. I even went to the trouble of making a gizmo that always selected the finger switch every time the ignition is turned on (actually a little addition to my heated vest controller).

Lack of Cruise Control choices is a (-minus) with the AE
I don't see how that can be true. The only difference with the bike is on the left handgrip. Any friction-type throttle lock works just as on the standard FJR; any electric cruise control also works similarly.

Latest posts