Aerostich Hi-Viz Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300A

Reaction score
So I bought an Aerostich Darien Hi-Viz jacket in January. Today I received a letter stating that they're recalling the Hi-Viz fabric garments due to fading. I have to admit that mine has faded quite a bit, and considering I didn't ride half as much as I wanted to, that's a bit too much! I can see this thing turning almost white by the end of next summer. Here is the dilemma...

First, I have to say that they're being more than fair about this whole thing. They are offering a full refund, an exchange for a new color, or a replacement in the "new" so-called hi-viz color (see the low quality cell phone pic below). As you can see the new color isn't exactly what I would call hi-viz, so I won't be exchanging for that. I'm on the fence between a new color or a full refund and I'm looking for opinions on other manufacturers hi-viz jackets. I commute a lot in more traffic and congested construction zones than I would like so I want to be seen (hey I live in PA, and we're constantly under road construction!). Any real life experiences / advice would be appreciated.

One final note, I'm looking for a waterproof jacket made from Hi-Viz materials not a vest that I have to wear over top of another jacket. I can get one of those cheap anywhere so please no suggestions about vests. THANKS!

Cell Phone

recall.jpg

Camera with Flash

NewHiViz2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
are you serious? you're saying the patch on the right is the new, more visible hi-viz lime yellow? looks nothing like their website photo.

https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/HiViz-...uits-sp-19.html

are you sure?

So I bought an Aerostich Darien Hi-Viz jacket in January. Today I received a letter stating that they're recalling the Hi-Viz fabric garments due to fading. I have to admit that mine has faded quite a bit, and considering I didn't ride half as much as I wanted to, that's a bit too much! I can see this thing turning almost white by the end of next summer. Here is the dilemma...
First, I have to say that they're being more than fair about this whole thing. They are offering a full refund, an exchange for a new color, or a replacement in the "new" so-called hi-viz color (see the low quality cell phone pic below). As you can see the new color isn't exactly what I would call hi-viz, so I won't be exchanging for that. I'm on the fence between a new color or a full refund and I'm looking for opinions on other manufacturers hi-viz jackets. I commute a lot in more traffic and congested construction zones than I would like so I want to be seen (hey I live in PA, and we're constantly under road construction!). Any real life experiences / advice would be appreciated.

One final note, I'm looking for a waterproof jacket made from Hi-Viz materials not a vest that I have to wear over top of another jacket. I can get one of those cheap anywhere so please no suggestions about vests. THANKS!

recall.jpg

The color on the left is the one that I bought in January. The one on the right, is what I would be getting if I did an exchange.

The color on the left is the one that I bought in January. The one on the right, is what I would be getting if I did an exchange.
I have an Aerostitch suit and there is nothing better, in my opinion. I also have a jacket and pants from Olympia Olympia link ] and they are a nice set up also. My "stich" is red and has held up well , why not just get a replacement in a different color?

I have an Aerostitch suit and there is nothing better, in my opinion. I also have a jacket and pants from Olympia Olympia link ] and they are a nice set up also. My "stich" is red and has held up well , why not just get a replacement in a different color?

I'm considering a different color, but really like the hi-viz look. It's saved me on more than one occasion.

Has your Olympia faded at all?

It's the new stuff that's fading, not the old color.
I don't know, Hal. Your stuff looked pretty dinghy when I saw it Saturday....
Absolutely NOT!!

Covered in bugs, dirt, bird guts and other assorted biologicals, it simply has a 'patina.' :rolleyes:

And if you're moving you can't even smell it. B)

I'm considering a different color, but really like the hi-viz look. It's saved me on more than one occasion.

Has your Olympia faded at all?

I have not had the Olympia out in the sun much, but it does not look like it is going to fade. I'm sure it will get dirty, but thats normal. I really tend to wear my stitch more often as it is a one piece suit and I find it easy on and off. The Olympia AST jacket got a good review in one of the cycle mags, thats why I bought it. Seems to be a good quality jacket.

I have the Olympia AST in HiViz and used it all summer. It has a lot of bugs and road grime on it, but the color has not faded. That includes some long days in the hot sun crossing the plains states.

The AST is a great jacket, but not perfect. The only problem I have with the AST is that it is not completely waterproof. After a long ride in heavy rain I get wet through it.

Well crud. I'm 2 weeks into a 4 week wait to get my new Hi-Viz DarienLight (replacing my 8 yr old regular Darien 'cause I lost a bunch of weight). I kinda like the newer Hi-Viz they've been using lately.

I also got my recall letter yesterday. Side by side there is no comparison between the eye catching in your face color on the left and the dark yellow on the right. It's a shame it isn't colorfast.

I just received my Darien at the beginning of August, and wore it almost daily for seven weeks. I looked hard at the thing last weekend and noticed the sun bleaching. Its weird, the wrinkles show the brighter color, the folds and shoulders are already noticeably faded. I have a different issue with my Darien - the iron on Velcro holding in the armor and back pad are peeling off. Granted the parka is unlined, and if the Velcro were stitched in then you would have water intrusion past the Goretex laminate via the stitching. I would have liked to have a little more time before the stuff failed. They must have had a bad shipment of the stuff from their supplier. Several pieces have peeled off in the knee areas on the pants too.

Question... Any other Darien owners have this happen to their jackets? I already contacted Rider Wearhouse concerning this issue and they said to send it back for warranty repairs. It's going in this weekend.

Anybody planning to keep the current faded color and try dying it back to brilliance?

Brodie

I kinda like the newer Hi-Viz they've been using lately.

Yeah me too. It's really unfortunate that it fades so much. I don't think it would be very "hi-viz" for too long though based on what mine looks like.

Today I looked closer at the highway workers on the job during my commute. They all wear that eye popping color either as a vest or as a tee shirt. They really stand out, however, several were wearing older garments and the color had noticeably faded too. Makes me wonder how dirty white my stitch would look in a year and a half - should I decide to keep it.

Bear in mind people, this is just the dye that is going south. The integrity of the garment is not in question. It's just how much EEEEWWW factor you expect and how much Yuck! factor you get after wearing it for several years.

And unless I miss my guess, the fabric in question is the Fluorescent High Viz Lime Yellow introduced last year. I assume the replacement fabric is the same as the original used for more than eight years.

Any one with the older (pre 2007) High Viz Stitches care to chime in on this?

They doin' anything about the pink ones?

It doesn't seem like they're going to do anything about the faded red ones.

But I'm glad you asked. Does anyone know how badly the blue fades? I'm considering this as my new color, but if it's going to look like a baby blue tux from a bad senior prom picture in two years, I'll change it to gray.

But I'm glad you asked. Does anyone know how badly the blue fades? I'm considering this as my new color, but if it's going to look like a baby blue tux from a bad senior prom picture in two years, I'll change it to gray.
I've had blue for about 5 years/approx. 50,000 miles and it still looks good. :thumbsup: