After market shocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr07

Reaction score
On the BMW site everyone praises the Olins shocks.

They say that the Olins really smooth out the ride.

Why is it that you never hear anyone speak of Olins on this site.

Is there a reason for not using them on the FJR.

Also, does Yamaha not own Olins, read that somewhere.

On the BMW site everyone praises the Olins shocks.They say that the Olins really smooth out the ride.

Also, does Yamaha not own Olins, read that somewhere.
Just commentary:

Over all applications Olins enjoy an outstanding reputation, and an outstanding price tag.

BMW guys get bling blinded very easy. (If Showa built a shock that tested to be superior to the same fit Ohlin at half the price, do you think BMW guys would buy the Showa or the Ohlin?) Seems like lots of FJR drivers have Wilber's experience and some Penske too. Maybe that experience is why Ohlin isn't as popular on FJR forums. Then again, you're riding an 07, I've just cracked 1300 miles on my 06. Just because a bunch of yahoos on the forum extol the virtues of aftermarket shocks, have you really determined you need one??? Until I experience some evil handling, I ain't changin' nothin'. Besides, no amount of farkles is going to make me Nicky Haden.

On the BMW site everyone praises the Olins shocks.They say that the Olins really smooth out the ride.

There is nothing "wrong" with the Ohlins, but as sprint_st correctly observes, you're paying a pretty penny to have that name on the shock body. There are other shocks out there that are just as good, and without the exorbitant price tag.

You'll read the name Wilbers mentioned here quite a lot primarily due to the two massive Group Buys we did with them in 2005 and 2006. They sold huge numbers to the FJR community because the price was exceptional for the hardware involved. Unfortunately, they have not been without some amount of problem areas themselves.... many arrived from the German factory significantly undersprung, and a disturbing number of folks have had blown seals and other outright failures. I had a Wilbers fail on my Blackbird that actually caused significant damage.

Until I experience some evil handling, I ain't changin' nothin'. Besides, no amount of farkles is going to make me Nicky Haden.
It's not really a question of "evil handling", it's just that one doesn't know what one is missing until you ride this bike with a proper shock that is set up correctly for your weight and riding style. The OEM shock is decent enough when new, but truthfully, it's decent only for everyday riding. If the bike is loaded up with gear and/or ridden assertively in the twisty canyons, it starts to show its limitations. Once it starts to age a little bit, it goes downhill pretty fast. Many aggressive riders find it fairly well spent after 15K-20K, and once it is spent, that's the ball game for it as they are not designed to be rebuilt.

The smart money indicates that for riders who tend to put on the miles (and assuming they are going to keep their FJR a long time), go ahead and invest is a good, quality aftermarket shock before your factory shock is totally spent. Retain the old shock so that you have something to put on the bike when you have your main shock sent in for overhaul. (Few things are more exasperating than having the bike down because of a backlog in getting your main shock overhauled, like a lot of folks are experiencing right now with Wilbers). The FJR's chassis is quite excellent right out of the crate, but becomes phenomenally good with a killer suspension installed that is set up specifically for your weight/riding style/riding environment.

Thanks for the intelligent comment's Warchild.

I had noticed that there was a lot of bad rap on here with the Wilbers.

I was just wondering why the Olin's never got mentioned.

They do get a lot of praise on the BMW site's.

Oh yes, just one more thing, Nicky Haden couldn't check my oil.

Richard

I just picked up a newly factory refurbished Ohlins for $550.

Came with a new spring too (one step up from standard)

They are out there if your looking form them.

Gen 1 rear suspension are not compatible with Gen 2.

So, as people update to the next gen.

Used aftermarket shocks will become more available.

FYI for everyone:

The previous owner of this shock removed it from his gen 1 and spent months trying to come up with a viable way to mount it on the gen 2. He said it did physically bolt in, but definitely did not work. No where close. He eventually concluded that major cut a weld surgery would be required, so he gave up and sold the shock.

OHLINS DOES NOT CURRENTLY OFFER ANYTHING FOR GEN 2 MODELS (YOUR 2007).

They also have no timetable that they are willing to share, at least not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI for everyone: The previous owner of this shock removed it from his gen 1 and spent months trying to come up with a viable way to mount it on the gen 2. He said it did physically bolt in, but definitely did not work. No where close. He eventually concluded that major cut a weld surgery would be required, so he gave up and sold the shock.
I find that curious. If it bolts on why would it not work? The swing arm is what 5mm(or so) longer on gen 2. I would think the shock would comp that.

Also a +1 to what WC said on the upgrade. There was nothing wrong with my 06 stock shock (except I felt it handled like a pig 2 up). That of course is going to depend on the size of the rider. I'm a fat ass. I swapped out to the Penske 8981 and I found what I was missing. Its more smooth on rough highways and I like the height adjustability of the Penske.

Last edited by a moderator:
The previous owner of this shock removed it from his gen 1 and spent months trying to come up with a viable way to mount it on the gen 2.
I just spent a weekend riding with Highlander.......who removed his Wilbers from his '04 and installed it on his '06. IIRC, he said the space is tighter but it did bolt up.......... and is fully adjustable.

The previous owner of this shock removed it from his gen 1 and spent months trying to come up with a viable way to mount it on the gen 2.
I just spent a weekend riding with Highlander.......who removed his Wilbers from his '04 and installed it on his '06. IIRC, he said the space is tighter but it did bolt up.......... and is fully adjustable.
Yep it works great !! It had no problems fitting it, it was just a tight fit. The adjustments all work, the ride is as good as when it was on the 04. I have the ride height set also so pegscraping is minimal, but I am on my toes at the stop lights. Maybe physical size of Ohlins that will not fit the Gen 2 bikes? :unsure:

I have had the Ohlins front and rear on the 05 FJR 10K miles and no probs ever. Very happy with the ease of adjustments. Great Ride! I figured that I was only going to buy and install them ONE TIME ONLY! My philosophy is, start with the best, get what you really want, and take good care of it. You get what you pay for! There is nothing worse then going cheap and always wishing you would have bought the one you wanted.

The only reason I bought a Penske, instead of a Ohlin's is because the Ohlin's did not have ride height adjustment....(& I have a gen one bike)

Maybe physical size of Ohlins that will not fit the Gen 2 bikes? :unsure:
Ohlins for a Gen 1 will not fit a Gen 2.

The relocated rectifier on the Gen 2 will interfere with the N2 canister on the Ohlins.

Oh and it works great :clapping:

Chris