After WFO...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsy

667 - Neighbour of the Beast
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have never been to the western US except a business trip to LA (I remember traffic!). So I was wondering if I could get a little input. I have a week to just explore after WFO. There is obviously a lot of beautiful country in Utah and neighbouring states. If you were starting in Park City and had a week what areas would you say are not to be missed? The states I am looking at mainly are UT, CO, WY, ID, and MT? I ride in full gear so will be trying to avoid Death Valley type experiences.

Thanks gypsy

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorites are Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, and Zion, in that order.

If you like firearms, the Cody museum in Wyoming is excellent. You can see this on your way out of Yellowstone if you take the east exit.

I hope to see the Bonneville salt flats while I'm out there, just because I have not seen them yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gypsy, My buddy and I are planning on doing a loop down to the Grande Canyon and back over to Denver then up through Cheyenne. If you want to tag along You would be welcome.

Hi Folks,
I have never been to the western US except a business trip to LA (I remember traffic!). So I was wondering if I could get a little input. I have a week to just explore after WFO. There is obviously a lot of beautiful country in Utah and neighbouring states. If you were starting in Park City and had a week what areas would you say are not to be missed? The states I am looking at mainly are UT, CO, WY, ID, and MT? I ride in full gear so will be trying to avoid Death Valley type experiences.

Thanks gypsy
How about following the historic Route 66 home?

My favorites are Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, and Zion, in that order.
Excellent areas here. My personal favorite is Teton National Park (just below Yellowstone) and the town of Jackson is a must see and a great place to stay the night or stop for lunch.

A bit further south of Bryce/Zion the north rim of the Grand Canyon would be a great stop. A bit to the east is Monument Valley, and finally, southwestern Colorado, specifically Durango and the Million Dollar Highway are always high on my list.

Southwest Colorado. Black Canyon of the Gunnison, through Ouray, Durango. Then across to southern Utah. Head up to the Moab area, then to Blanding and up to Hanksville. That route will take you across the headwaters of Lake Powell and some fabulous riding. You can then head west through Capitol Reef NP, Grand Staircase NM, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP. Some of the finest riding and scenery in the world.

Lots of good ideas here some might be a little warm in July, nothing like Death Valley, but 90˚to 100˚F. Cooler temps will be north of course. Grand Tetons and Yellowstone are great places. Someone mentioned Cody, nice town, right next to Chief Joseph Highway and not far from Beartooth Pass, both excellent roads. You could follow the Rockies up through Glacier NP and farther north to Banff and onto Jasper. Then head home along the north shore of the Great Lakes.

Food for thought :coolsmiley02:

Hey all,

Thanks for the input. It has given me some places to investigate via the internet.

gypsy

Hey all,
Thanks for the input. It has given me some places to investigate via the internet.

gypsy

those are all good suggestions...

Last summer... early part of July, I rode over US 50...

it was in the high 90's... I just kept my jacket zipped up and my face shield closed...

made my own shade... very comfortable.. the air was warmer than me in my jacket....

However riding back east on I 80 a couple weeks later, it was in the teens... 100+ teens...

that was kinda warm.... lots of stops for lots of Gatoraide and water.....

and to stare at the idiots on mostly Goldwings riding in tank tops and shorts....<G>

Wished I had a lighter weight jacket, had to unzip it...

Mary

I assume you are riding back to Nova Scotia.

I would take HWY 89 south to Bryce Canyon up and over HWY 12 to Torrey and through Capitol Reef NP (NP= National Park). You could also go further south on 89 and hit Zions. It will be warm but not Death Valleyish. At Capitol Reef it will start to get hot but I think tolerable. You can go a little south out of Hanksville to Natural Bridges. Off to Blanding UT and north to Moab UT, home of Canyonlands and Arches NP. From Moab follow the Colorado River up to I-70 and head to Colorado. From here a couple of options. I hae never been past Grand Junction on 70 but you could take that and work your way up to Rocky Mtn NP. One of my favorite roads is north out of Loma CO to Rangley then to Vernal UT and on north the Flaming Gorge. You could then go up to Jackson WY and through Yellowstone Park. If you make Yellowstone go out through the North East exit and go over the Beartooth Pass. Stay at the Yodler Motel and Eat at Red Lodge Pizza in Red Lodge MT. Up through Billings MT to the Little Big Horn Battleground. East to Devils Tower and then to the Black Hills and the Badlands. After that I'd probably shoot for Canada and cooler weather. You are probably looking at 90's the whole route. Stay hydrated and I soak a long sleeve cotton shirt under my jacket and stay fairly cool. If you hae any questions let me know, I'm real good for answers in the Salt Lake area and about a 250 mile radius.

Hi Folks,

Thanks gypsy

You could take a look at my web page: https://www.bestbits.org/wfo6_trip_2007.htm

I'm planning my trip to Park City from San Francisco, looking to take six days (!) via the northern route.

Run that backwards (heading north and west from Park City) and you get the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, I-90 through Montana across the Great Divide, and then US12 across Idaho - this is the highway with the famous "Winding road next 77 miles" sign.

Now you're in eastern Washington. Follow links from my WFO route page to see what I've captured about people's favorite roads in different states. Far from complete; this is my personal "scratch pad and auxiliary memory" for when these questions come up.

Wow! Great roads, all and I've been on most all of them, except for California. It's been a long time since I was out there, but I'll be passing through CA in June or early July on the last leg of my 2007 USA Four Corners tour. We are very lucky, us that live out west. But then there are so many cosmic roads back east also. And up north. And down south. Yippee! Five weeks and I hit the road! Key West, Madawaska ME, Blaine WA and San Ysidro CA (and points in between).

A tip for those of you who might be coming out from areas of high humididdidy: A wet vest works wonders in the arid west. As does a wet shirt. The vests have a material that holds a lot of water, so they don;t dry out quite as quickly. A mesh suit works well. Allows air flow, but keeps the sun off your bod. I came home from Reno last year via highway 50 and the vest was a real lifesaver. What a great road 50 is. I must have stayed hydrated, because I never once saw one of those Radman critters. I know they're out there, since I saw pictures of them :dribble: Just be sure if you go, fill er up at every opportunity. No many stations out that way.

Mary,

This Goldwing/FJR riding idiot wears all the gear all the time while touring. But I know what you mean. Although I frequent Wing forums and there is usually an on-going discussion regarding what type of helmet one should wear, I see many riders of Wings outfitted in 'wifebeaters', shorts and sneakers. You'd think at that age, they'd know better :unsure: I wear modular helmets, armored gloves, Sidi On-Roads and ballistic riding suits (Kili). I prefer the mesh type of suit. I will be breaking in my new Cycle-Port Kevlar Mesh suit this season. This suit is appropriate for asphalt surfing. Not my cup-o-tea, but one never knows.

Getting back to where to ride out west. If you come to a fork in the road, take it. Not many 'bad' roads in Utah.