Air Wing Redux

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are happy with Garauld's mount as the mount for the air wings I will see if I can get a set ready to go ASAP through Baker that will be specific to the FJR. I have already worked with Bruce on the basic shapes, just need to get the mounting hardware in the right spot. Interest???
:clapping:
I'm very interested.

Just a quick follow-up.

Received a response to my email message to Baker. Currently they have the wings available, but the brackets are still in development. Their letter states the brackets need to be ordered from our very own Garauld (BIG THANKS). They expect to have their own brackets available within 90 days. Maybe by August/September time frame it will be a one stop shopping experience.

BULL

Several weeks ago, I got the FJR specific Hand Wings from Baker. Last week, I got the G-Mounts. Yesterday, I finally got around to mounting both on my '05 w/ FZ-1 mirrors.

I used the template and directions supplied by Baker. The wings clear the FZ-1 mirror stalks but the wings were "way" forward." So much so, that, even w/out riding, I was thinking of removing the suckers because I didn't like the looks. Reminded me of a box...so far forward of the mirrors and really messed up the lines of the bike.

This morning, I removed the wings, reversed them (left-to-right and right-to-left) and re-installed them. This put the wings more underneath the mirror stalks and they are much less obtrusive. Now they match the piccies Radman posted in this thread and they still clear the FZ-1 mirrors.

This position will be OK for summer riding but, I think, I'll have to reverse them again to completely close off the air for cold weather riding.

I'm going for a quick spin this pm to try these things out and will take a couple of pics while the bike's out of the garage.

UPDATE: I went for a ride down the interstate (88[SIZE=8pt]0[/SIZE]) w/ the FJR specific wings. First, I was wrong when I said the wings cleared the mirror stalks. After stopping once to change the position of the wings, I found that the FZ-1 mirror stalks do limit the "turn-in" of the wings. I guess that's why the Baker instructions had them mounted reverse of what I have them and so far forward. I "think" I can feel some air moving across the sides of the tank but could still feel the heat on my lower left leg. I guess I need a longer ride to really test these things. And, I may try mounting them below the G-Mounts...although I think that's gonna be too fugly to tolerate. IMHO, the jury is still out on these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got around to mounting my "Wings" with Garauld's bracket (I bought GL-1500 hand wings from Baker Built. Did my order BEFORE the FJR ones from Baker) and I think they work just fine so far. It wasn't all that warm this weekend here in New England but on our Maine Lobster Run I could feel the air moving down the side of my tank and on to my legs. Just what I wanted. Both parts are GREAT quality for sure! :clapping: YMMV

Tom

Finally got around to mounting these myself while doing a bunch of other maintenance tasks. Easy as pie. I also used the Gold Wing hand wings and Gary's brackets.

I just wanted to say thanks again to radman for posting the pics. That made the job easier.

Hot weather is coming and there hasn't been much talk about this farkle lately. I thought it would be a public service to bump this thread for the new guys with some added photos. I used garauld's light brackets with the Gold Wing Baker hand wings. It works great, as radman noted a year ago. Turned out to catch the air (as in these photos), they bring a lot of cooling into the cockpit. I notice it most under my arms. Turn them in and it's like an extended fairing. And I really like the way they look -- nicer in person than in the photos.

airwings2.jpg

airwings5.jpg

airwings4.jpg

Several weeks ago, I got the FJR specific Hand Wings from Baker. Last week, I got the G-Mounts. Yesterday, I finally got around to mounting both on my '05 w/ FZ-1 mirrors.
I used the template and directions supplied by Baker. The wings clear the FZ-1 mirror stalks but the wings were "way" forward." So much so, that, even w/out riding, I was thinking of removing the suckers because I didn't like the looks. Reminded me of a box...so far forward of the mirrors and really messed up the lines of the bike.

This morning, I removed the wings, reversed them (left-to-right and right-to-left) and re-installed them. This put the wings more underneath the mirror stalks and they are much less obtrusive. Now they match the piccies Radman posted in this thread and they still clear the FZ-1 mirrors.

This position will be OK for summer riding but, I think, I'll have to reverse them again to completely close off the air for cold weather riding.

I'm going for a quick spin this pm to try these things out and will take a couple of pics while the bike's out of the garage.

UPDATE: I went for a ride down the interstate (88[SIZE=8pt]0[/SIZE]) w/ the FJR specific wings. First, I was wrong when I said the wings cleared the mirror stalks. After stopping once to change the position of the wings, I found that the FZ-1 mirror stalks do limit the "turn-in" of the wings. I guess that's why the Baker instructions had them mounted reverse of what I have them and so far forward. I "think" I can feel some air moving across the sides of the tank but could still feel the heat on my lower left leg. I guess I need a longer ride to really test these things. And, I may try mounting them below the G-Mounts...although I think that's gonna be too fugly to tolerate. IMHO, the jury is still out on these things.
Don't give up Travis, these things really do work

jim

OK, I have the G-mounts coming but what Baker hand wings is everybody using? The ones for the 1500 or 1800 Gold wing?

Bill

I used the 1500 Wings and they work fine. I think you can use the 1800 ones as well but the 1500 ones come close to my mirror stalks. Just like in the photos squeezer posted.

Tom

im shure i saw a pair of the wings mounted on the same bracket with a set of lights below anyone know of this pick im still thinking i need this fark but dont want to loose my lights

im shure i saw a pair of the wings mounted on the same bracket with a set of lights below anyone know of this pick im still thinking i need this fark but dont want to loose my lights
Radman did that. The pics were a few pages back but he must have deleted them from photobucket. It should work, though.

Just saw on the Baker web site that they want $50 bucks for one or is that for a pair? Seems that they are real proud of them if it cost $100 for two.

Bill

FWIW, Baker makes wings and brackets just for the FJR. I saw them at Americade this past Thursday. It doesn't look like they updated their website yet:

Baker Air Wings

I don't know if his new design is compatible with my brackets. The best thing is to email him.

I use the "hand wings" for the 1500. BUT, I mount mine differently because I also have driving lights.

I used this set up on Garaulds brackets with Hella lights and I liked it so well that I made some similar brackets when I installed the Skyway brackets.

Sorry the first one is fuazzy. I snapped them in a hurry when I was getting ready to clean the bike after the Morro Bay ride.

MorroBayTrip039.jpg

MorroBayTrip040.jpg

MorroBayTrip041.jpg

Because my idea mounts the wings a bit lower than on top of the bracket, I notch the wing with my dremel so that I can turn it to gather more air. I use a 3/8" nut as a spacer between the wing bracket and the aluminum bracket.

On Garauld's brackets, I simply drilled the hole large enough to use the light mounting bolt to secure the aluminum strip to the bracket. IIRC, the 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum strip was about 4 1/2" long.

Of course, these are on different brackets, but they work just the same. Because these brackets are a bit lower the wings, when closed, do block the wind that hits my knees on cold mornings. When they're opened, they gather plenty of fresh air and push it into the cockpit.

I was going to ask something but then I forgot...

I was going to ask something but then I forgot...
Since you own a Gen II bike, having air in the cockpit isn't a problem for you because of the fairing redesign with the added venting (If you look carefully, we don't have the vents next to the headlights or the outlet under the gauge cluster, nor the new style "W" bracked for the windshield.). Some of us ride in hot climates with Gen I FJRs and do what is necessary to bring some fresh air across our gas tanks.

Just saw on the Baker web site that they want $50 bucks for one or is that for a pair? Seems that they are real proud of them if it cost $100 for two.
Bill
$50 a pair. Paid $42 for mine.