All things considered, which would you buy? 03 or an 08???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new to the boards here, and had a few questions. My current ride is an 02 R6, and i'm probably going to be adding an FJR1300 to the garage as well. There is an 03 FJR1300 for sale locally that has 10,500 miles on it, and is stock with the exception of bar risers. The asking price is $6,500. My questions are: What are the notable differences between 03 and 08? Is it worth the extra money to go with the 08? What should I look out for on the 03? Were there any problems with the 03 model since it was the first year? I will probably come up with some more questions, but that's all for now. All help will be greatly appreciated, and again a "big hello" to everyone.

Lucas

Id definitely go with the '03...it only has 10,000 miles on it! Its more than half off...I cant see ever getting rid of my 2005 fjr for a newer one. Not saying I wont add more motorcycles but not for a new fjr, not until this one falls apart. But man that 08 is sweeet looking.

The only major difference i would consider is the ABS.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've successfully asked every question that's ever been answered a million times on here. You're gonna get dogpiled by the masses, but I'll suggest you search the site for the differences between the generation 1 and generation 2 bikes.

Personally, I'd buy the 08, but I'd probably look for an 06 instead (because it's the same generation as the 08 and less expensive).

Generation 1 bikes had issues with valve guides (ticking problem) and they weren't very good at keeping engine heat off the rider. Generation 2 bikes have these issues solved and offer a bit more refinement than the first generation.

As far as the price is concerned....... I wouldn't personally pay $6500 for an 03. YMMV.

Go 03, lighter, faster and looks better than the 08! Why pay double just to get ABS?

Welcome to the forum! Where are you located?

JW

There is a huge difference between the bikes.

Not to disparage any version or iteration of the FJR, they are all good bikes. If you can afford it, get the '08.

OLD GEN (GenI)

'03 had the most powerful engine but the smallest brake discs. No ABS. No glove compartment, smaller windshield.

'04-'05 the brakes are larger, ABS is an option, larger windshield, integrated turn signals, glove compartment, fork springs are stronger, rear shock spring is stronger.

NEW GEN (GenII)

'06 through current....

Different seats, different dash, different fairing with more vents for wind/heat management, adjustable handlebars, ABS is standard, improved ECU, '08 has additional lubrication line inside transmission.

Oooooh, I'd jump on the '03. Wouldn't even bother looking at the '08. Why? The motor.

And welcome, noob.

As for you and your theory, Andre: :fuck:

Looked at your post several times and figured that anyone that can add a 2nd bike to their garage isn't hurting for money; Therefore, why would you wanna get yesterday's technology when you can get the new perfected model.

Get the 08 with an extended warranty and have all of the variables on your side of the ledger!

Bet you can find a used 06 for $9,000. I would spend the extra bucks for Gen-II. I have owned both.

Whether or not you buy new or used is strictly personal choice. The FJR is solid in any year.

I loved riding my '03 and if it had had ABS, it would still be on the road. The comment on it having the smallest brake disks doesn't mean that you can't lock up the front wheel. I'm going for an '08 as a replacement.

You'll enjoy which ever one you decide upon.

Welcome,

Another way to run this thread may be to create a POLL to see which peeps prefer.

I love new technology and always lean towards improved equipment. With that said, I currently have the Gen I (2005) because I could not justify (to my wife) the additional expense for the Gen II model (2006-current). There are some differences as stated above and should be considered when making your decision. In regards to the 'ticking' problem with the valve guides. I think it was about 20% of all Gen I bikes that had this issue and Yamaha seems to be honoring the repairs. A quick search of this site revealed THESE THREADS regarding ticking. There is a POLL within the link that reveals stats regarding ticking.

In all, I don't think you'll be dissapointed by what Yamaha has created the FJR to be.

Hope this helps.

Sport

ME? If I had the cash, 08 hands down. Lots of issues addressed and fixed with the 08. Am so happy I waited instead of getting one back in 03,4,5,6,7. 8 is where it is at.

I think the price is right for the 03. I love my 03, haven't had any issues with the tick and honestly I'm not even worried about it. It's also a 2nd bike for you to have in the garage so it might make sense to save some money and go with the 03. It's an awsome machine and yea.... us 03 owners are faster.

Welcome!

I would agree that you check out both of them and then make a decision. The FJR is a great bike and I think you'll be happy with either choice.

Assuming that money IS a consideration, this is a no brainer. The heat issues with the '03 are very easily and inexpensibly managable....if it even bothers you. Some people don't think the heat is an issue at all.

As far as a more powerful motor and smaller rotors, any '03 owner will tell you the brakes are more than capable of stopping that bike. I personally have NEVER heard of anyone getting into trouble on their '03 FJR because the brakes were insufficient. I don't believe the Gen II bikes with larger rotors and ABS are capable of stopping any quicker than a Gen I bike. No question about it, ABS is nice, especially for those people with less than stellar emergency braking skills, but many people get along just fine without it and you certainly shouldn't overlook the '03 just because it doesn't have it.

Bottom line: you will not be disappointed with any FJR you end up with. Good luck.

I would recommend the '03. At that price, you're not going to go wrong with that bike. At only 10,500 miles, it's not even broken in yet!

Some considerations:

(1) The '03 is "the devil you know" while the '08 is a new model year (although we have yet to hear of any widespread issues with the '08s ...not that I think there will be any). The heat issue ... which Larry accurately said is not an issue for many ... can easily be fixed. Bottom line is that the '03 has been available for years now and it's still a great bike.

(2) There's nothing wrong with saving $$$. You are going to pay a premium for an '08 and, being the first owner, you're going to take the brunt of the initial vehicle depreciation. Why lose $$ if you don't have to?

(3) You may not even like the FJR ... so why not pay less for basically the same bike and assume less risk in the instance that you dislike the bike and want to sell it soon? Worded another way: in the instance that you don't like the FJR and wish to sell it, you'll lose less $$ on the '03 than you will if you buy the '08.

Don't let emotions get the best of you. Make a reasoned decision. Are the differences (and the "privilege" of owning a brand new bike) worth paying over twice what you could've paid for a basically unused '03?

Think about it.