Allowing Test Ride when selling?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove from VA up to Philly to pick up my bike a year ago April. I had never ridden an FJR and hadn't even seen anything but pictures of mine. I didn't even bring a helmet! I sat on the bike in the showroom and thought, "this will do.". The guy that loaded it on my truck started it up, so I did verify that it runs. I drove back to VA and directly to the DMV. Just down the road from the DMV I unloaded it and drove it home. I don't even know if he would have let me test ride it. I think I am with Patriot on this one. I would make a decsion on a case by case basis.

Advice from a co-worker who has sold numerous bikes:

1) Make sure they have a drivers license and motorcycle endorsement (not legally required, but for your own peace of mind).

2) Hold their license in your hand during the test ride (keeps them from doing anything to attract the attention of police - and make sure they come back).

3) Ask for 1/3 - 1/2 the $$ in your hand for the test ride - can be returned if they don't buy (to cover damage and make sure they come back).

Signed bill of saleCash in hand

Ride it and bring is back unchanged for a refund in 20 minutes if you don't like it
Exactly. I didn't even ask for a test ride when I bought my FJR. The deal was struck, and with cheque in hand, I handed it over, completion pending a test ride. He had no problem with that. Fair to both parties.

Yep!Oh well walk away. I had a guy almost kill himself on a dirt bike I was selling. Guess who would get sued if he crashed? BINGO! Me! I've let other buyers ride bikes of less value and power, and dirt bikes. I've also run into other sellers when I was buying with the same philosophy. I was bummed but respected that. Oh well.
ding ding ding ding.... (a bell went off)I'm sorry because it IS completely different up here. Quebec has no fault insurance so if I let you ride my uninsured, un-plated, illegally modified bike while you're drunk & strung-out on acid, without a valid permit and you run through the front window of a daycare center........ I'll surely get a ticket of some type but I aint gonna lose the farm over it.

2 main differences

1) The quebec govt is who everyone sues for any injuries related to accidents on a Quebec road.

2) If there's any damage to vehicles in quebec, regardless of who's at fault, each driver's insurance pays for damages to their car

so there's no 'suing' anyone

sorry - not the same situation so I withdraw my comment
Leskid - I understand now where you're coming from too.
I always want to ride a bike before I buy it but I'm not always able to due to owner preference. I didn't even take my FeeJ for a test ride before I bought it. The guy fired it up, etc, I rode one before at a dealer, I handed him the cash and off I went. I guess if it was funky I could have gone back or taken legal action.

Differnt laws situations etc.

Last edited by a moderator: