• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Good time to sell 2003 Gen 1?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis0735

Reaction score
Ok...... say what you will. I stopped riding after I became an EMT. As a result I have a 2003 FJR1300 sitting under very dusty covers in my garage. If I understand the serial numbers, it was the 24th unit shipped into the US when they opened up the market in 03. It's in excellent condition (assuming I can get it to start). I believe it has around 4K miles. 

Questions: 

Do you think this would be a good time to sell? (used car prices are through the roof, bikes too?)

What should I ask for the bike?

Should I try and sell it myself or consigne it to a dealer? (I don't like the idea of letting a stranger take my bike out for a test drive. What if they crash? What if they don't come back?)

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Sincerely,

Mdavis0735

I sold my 03 that I took delivery on in July of 02 with 140k on it for 2500. I replaced it with a cherry 04 well farkled with 20k on it for three grand a couple years ago. Sitting can be harder on it than being run a lot. Things tend to deteriorate from lack of use. Good luck with the sale. Price it where you're comfortable and be flexible. 

First thing to do is get it running and then list it for sale asap as spring/ summer is the best time to sell a bike.

Price?   Sub 5 K but take the first offer as I doubt your going to have a high demand for a bike almost 20 years old.

GLWS