Help with 2003 Forks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodZilla

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Reaction score
So, my brother-in-law, Mike, has a 2003 FJR that he bought used. It has had fork seal issues since not long after he bought it. He took them to a local mechanic who is known for doing good work and got the seals replaced.

The owner told Mike that someone scratched up the "inner tubes" and the seals will not last long. Sure enough, 6 months later he is leaking fluid again. Now, I don't know much about FJR forks. They intimidate me. I've only seen one set taken apart and I don't remember any "inner tubes" but I'm thinking he's referring to the smaller diameter tubes. He told Mike that they were too damaged to properly repair and Mike would have to replace them but that he's screwed because parts are no longer made for '03 bikes. I'm under the impression he cleaned them up and put them all back together, just to have another leak spring in 6 months.

So, a few questions:

>I have heard of gouged tubes being an issue. Is it true that they are not repairable, or can he send them off to Traxion or someone like that and have them fixed?

>If he cannot, is there any difference between the way any of the forks are built or specced(sp?) from 2003 to 2013? Basically, can he use internals from any year? I know there are two bushings in GenI bikes and 3 in later models. I'm just wondering if the tubes will fit, regardless of year. Also, is there any reason he could not put a set of 2004 forks on there as long as he got them with the wheel? I'm pretty sure all the triple trees are the same, so any set of FJR forks should fit. Right?

If different year tubes will work, or he can just change out the entire set for a newer, non-cash model, does anyone have a set they want to sell, or have a good source? He's under the impression he's screwed, and I know better.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

I've had some success polishing tubes in the lathe using 800 grit and 1200 grit paper. if the scratches won't polish out then he is screwed. I don't know if Forks by Frank is still in business or not but if so they can replate the hard chrome tubes and polish to size. Otherwise yes the 04 forks will work if you get a complete set and you end up with bigger brakes or just the 04 tubes should work fine with the 03 lowers.

I would definately try to polish them out first as Ray suggests. Or see if you can pick up a set of used forks. Doesn't appear that Yamaha sells the tubes separately, as far as I can tell.

$400 set on eBay for 2004-05, if they are compatible

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-2004-2005-Fjr1300-Fjr1300a-Front-Forks-Shock-Suspension-Set-Pair-48mm/192935009627?fits=Model%3AFJR1300&hash=item2cebd29d5b:g:rbwAAOSwq9Fc8ZE5#viTabs_0

An alternative to replacing the forks might be to just replace the tubes - Chinese sourced ones available on eBay although I have NO idea if they are any good.
Edit: Someone on the "other" forum tried this and found the quality to be too poor to use... (Do ya feel lucky?)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-Pipes-For-YAMAHA-FJR1300-2001-2005-Front-Fork-Inner-Tubes-2002-2003-2004/254324472553?fits=Model:FJR1300&hash=item3b36eb7ae9:g:BfYAAOSwHf5a~uhZ
s-l500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had success with using epoxy resin to fill in small stone chips and scratched (that were too deep to buff out) on my FJR stanchion tubes. After sending the repaired areas level I used 800 & 1200 grit wet & dry sand paper followed by a scotch-brite pad using criss-cross motion to create light scuffing.

AJ, I have a set of 2005 forks, that will work. They are left over from ChazGlenn when we had to buy a set to get cartridge to repair his 2008. The tubes appear to be straight and not scratched.

You have a PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow, AuburnFJR came through and is shipping fork tubes to me as I type this. Sorry it took me so long to get back. I kind of fell off and have just been up to my ears.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.  I think my BIL will be good to go.

Remember, you can only use the tubes, the legs are different from yours. Good luck, 
Ah!! That's good information that I didn't know!! Hopefully the guy at MotoAuthority can figure it out. He's a decent guy and a pretty competent mechanic. I'm sure it'll be fine! 

HRZ, I replied to your thread on the other forum but since this is posted here I'll chime in. If you can, get me measurements on those scratched up upper tubes. ID x OD x length. I work for a hydraulic cylinder repair shop and since this has been brought up if you get me these measurements I can try and get a price to have them repaired. At this point simply for the curiosity of it to determine the cost and feasibility of having stuff like this done in the future should anyone need it. I will get our guys here to give me ballpark numbers doing it as "government" work and see if I could offer a future alternative to expensive replacements or how to handle potentially obsolete part scenarios. My primary concern is the tubing wall may be too thin for the equipment we use here. For the record the shop I work for specializes in repairs on cylinders used on large mobile cranes so a set of forks looks like toothpicks to our guys.  

HRZ, I replied to your thread on the other forum but since this is posted here I'll chime in. If you can, get me measurements on those scratched up upper tubes. ID x OD x length. I work for a hydraulic cylinder repair shop and since this has been brought up if you get me these measurements I can try and get a price to have them repaired. At this point simply for the curiosity of it to determine the cost and feasibility of having stuff like this done in the future should anyone need it. I will get our guys here to give me ballpark numbers doing it as "government" work and see if I could offer a future alternative to expensive replacements or how to handle potentially obsolete part scenarios. My primary concern is the tubing wall may be too thin for the equipment we use here. For the record the shop I work for specializes in repairs on cylinders used on large mobile cranes so a set of forks looks like toothpicks to our guys.  
Oh, I read where you suggested a hydraulic shop. I missed it if you said you work in one. That has to be a cool job!!

I'll get them from Mike and send you whatever you need. I think that's a Hellavua good idea. Whether or not it works would be good to know. I'll let you know.