Alps tour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John d

Reaction score
Some of you may be aware that I went on an Alps tour in September. The tour operator was a Quebec based travel agency tour company named Megavoyages. I went on their Alps tour led by their Italian owner.

It was a great 15 day adventure based in Italy which focused on crisscrossing Alps through border countries, Italy, France, Switzerland, and Austria.

The very reasonably priced package included air fare, bikes, hotels, breakfast, and dinners. Gas, tolls, and lunches were extra. Their were in total six bikes, three couples and three single riders. As it turned out there were five R1200RTs and one K1600GT.

Max the leader likes taking videos. The video here is of three of the bikes going down from the Stelvio into Switzerland. I happen to be the rider behind the camera bike ridden by Max. https://youtu.be/mo8jxncy6ZA

In the video you may have noticed brown streaks on the road. That was cow shit and coniferous needles.

That brown stuff has a zero traction coefficient no matter what the country, BC., Montana, Oregon. etc. Pretty video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for sharing. No center line, just use the whole road (what little there is of it)Definitely on my bucket list.

Canadian FJR
Over there, when there is no center line, and there is a crash, blame is 50/50 no matter what. Surprisingly, there are very few accidents, given these roads and others with lane sharing being commonplace and expected. Don't be surprised if a local on a Vespa, passes you in a hairpin turn. Keep your eyes and ears open.