Amazingly Bright LEDs from Clearwater Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, this has got my farkleitis flared up. How much do the Kristas weigh? Where did you mount the intensity controller (is it in a mountable box)?

And Howie, I remember watching that movie on TV when I was a kid...Jan Michael Vincent rules!

OK, this has got my farkleitis flared up. How much do the Kristas weigh? Where did you mount the intensity controller (is it in a mountable box)?
And Howie, I remember watching that movie on TV when I was a kid...Jan Michael Vincent rules!
Weight is 15 oz each (compare to Soltek Fuegos @ 3# each, for example). My controller is on panel "A," just a small knob. I think you could put it into some kind of box and mount it somewhere like a handlebar too.

I took the Lee Parks "Total Control" class this weekend in San Mateo--it got a lot of attention from everybody. Especially when I'd toot the horn after they'd seen all the other features. ;)

By the way, I just noticed this post on the "For Sale" section--the very brackets I mounted my Kristas with, and the ideal mount for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
woe baby...

the top big lights on the mirror mounts are called Kristas - mine are dimmable with a control module with knob mounted on my bars

the fork lights are called Glendas...mine are full bright all the time

4597008791_1ba274b09d.jpg

4597079885_0596cae296.jpg

I decided I wanted 2 led's on top and after mounting them opposite here for a look see

4597008793_bf80d3cda5.jpg

full intensity low beam (hit high beam and they get a bit brighter not shown)

from here, my first thought was I need brighter turn signals

4597002461_6f952f87c3.jpg

4597002453_32266c5984.jpg

4597002457_6f952f87c3.jpg

4597002473_2445a70ed1.jpg

upper big lights dimmed to minimum intensity (hit high beam, they go to full intensity not shown)

4597002469_111004aae6.jpg

4597002463_67804663a0.jpg

Called Clearwater today and ordered the Glendas. When asked about how I found out about their lights I said through this forum so they honored the group buy price from last year. Something I didn't ask for or expect. I try not to take for granted the nice folks who come my way, but I enjoy the feeling when it occurs.

I think I have space to mount these on my Racing 905 engine guards instead of the fork or fender location. I really wanted to get these back as far as possible for better side conspiciuousty to the adjacent traffic during the rush hour commute. Will see. R

Must. Resist. Buying.

Having said that, I do have a set of the Glendas installed and they are great. These new Kristas look simply amazing. If you look on the Clearwater lights page on the product description they show an FJR with TWO sets mounted on one side

that would be an amazing flamethrower setup.

Hmmm...I guess I need to see how much of my severance check is left and sell the Trailtech HID's that I just installed and possibly a kidney so replenish the farkle fund and place an order. :yahoo:

". . . These new Kristas look simply amazing. If you look on the Clearwater lights page on the product description they show an FJR with TWO sets mounted on one side . . . that would be an amazing flamethrower setup.

Ahem. MY bike. :blush:

We never connected those; it was just to test for fit. Does kind of look cool, tho, huh?

Really? I was unaware that the model for the dual install was your FJR. Just out of curiosity, was there any reason you didn't leave both sets installed?

The Trailtech HID's I currently have mounted on Gerauld's brackets and it's a super clean look. However, as Dale and others have pointed out there are some longevity concerns with them. I do like the fact that the new Kristas are dimmable and Clearwater lights are built with the quality of fine surgical instruments and would persoanlly like to have 2 sets mounted to each side for a true flamethrower setup. Even if I ran them at half power it would seem that they would be a more effective and durable setup as compared to the Trailtechs.

Was there a specific reason you didn't keep both sets installed? Just overkill or expense or possibly both?

Thanks!

". . . These new Kristas look simply amazing. If you look on the Clearwater lights page on the product description they show an FJR with TWO sets mounted on one side . . . that would be an amazing flamethrower setup.

Ahem. MY bike. :blush:

We never connected those; it was just to test for fit. Does kind of look cool, tho, huh?

From what I've seen there are several vendors selling some varation of these lights although Twisted Throttle's kit seems to be the most complete.

These are quality lights and do have a lower price point than the Glendas. What stopped be from getting these was the fact that they aren't dimmable. Having that feature was a selling point for me. Now...if being able to dim them isn't something that you care about, then these would seem to be a good value. There are several people over on ADVRider who have installed them and I have yet to see a single negative comment. There's one guy there who linked up FOUR on each side of his BMW R1200 GS. The light output from them is simply amazing. I'll see if I can find the post.

I don't know if these have been talked about before, but I have been eyeing these:
Denali Lights--Twisted Throttle

No, I have not taken the time to compare.

Really? I was unaware that the model for the dual install was your FJR. Just out of curiosity, was there any reason you didn't leave both sets installed?
Glenn just wanted to see how they'd look like that. I never considered it seriously, though (they weren't "installed," just test fitted). For one thing, yes, expense is always an issue, but overkill was why it never was a real consideration. If you had a set of these mounted and just rode up a dark road and clicked them on for the first time, you'd be amazed. The last thing you'd be thinking about is more lighting. They light up the road beautifully, as well as a wide peripheral area (where the deer are hiding).

Additionally, California limits the number of lights on the front end of a motorcycle (for some reason). California Vehicle Code, section 24405:

"(a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.

(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.

(3) Fog lamps.

(4) Warning lamps.

(5) Spot lamps.

(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258. (All these types are defined in related sections. See this.

(b ) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp (my emphasis).

(c ) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle."

My four LEDs put me "one over" this limit when I run everything, which I usually do (on mid brightness days, minimum at night), so I'm pretty much always in violation of this section, technically. I can switch off the two Kristas, if needed, though I've yet to be stopped or questioned about this. Maybe two more would be pushing the limit a bit too far, who knows? But again, mostly, who needs more?

I don't know if these have been talked about before, but I have been eyeing these:
Denali Lights--Twisted Throttle

No, I have not taken the time to compare.

These were posted about here just a while back. Light output and size are similar to the (smaller) Clearwater Glendas. I couldn't compare the quality of the two products, just the look, and of course they aren't dimmable, which like many things, you don't really appreciate till you've had and tried it.

Glenn just wanted to see how they'd look like that. I never considered it seriously, though (they weren't "installed," just test fitted). For one thing, yes, expense is always an issue, but overkill was why it never was a real consideration. If you had a set of these mounted and just rode up a dark road and clicked them on for the first time, you'd be amazed. The last thing you'd be thinking about is more lighting. They light up the road beautifully, as well as a wide peripheral area (where the deer are hiding).
Thanks for the update. I emailed Glenn earlier today and will be placing an order soon. These look like they will be a great addition to the Glendas.

I know what you meant about two sets being overkill...but they did look pretty cool mounted on your FJR. :dribble: Time to sell some other toys to replenish the farkle fund. B) I think between the Kristas and a Day-Long saddle I'll be just about done (for now) with the farkles. I've got a local indy shop installing everything now and will have a write up on them later.

It is amazing what they are doing with LEDs these days - my new aux brake lights being a case in point.

I can't find a formal specification on the number of lumens the Kristas produce, but I can infer from what they say that they put out about 3500 lumens and would thus be about as efficient as a set of HIDs, with the added flexibility of being dimmable and having less mass than most HID lighting out there. They also will blind oncoming traffic, because they go out of their way to say that there is no shielding and that they depend on the dimming factor to deal with dazzle.

However in my case buying a set of these will need to await my next ride - my Hellas are installed and work just fine (and IMO look a lot better), so I am not about to change things out.

By then these'll cost $25 a set.

SacramentoMike and Patriot,

Now that you've had the Kristas installed for awhile how do you like them? Have you gotten some ride time on them at night? Have you gotten to compare them against any other popular driving lights out there?

I am seriously looking at the Kristas now. I like the LED features as far as power draw, dimmability, light weight, etc. I just wanted to make sure they throw enough light downrange and not just flood the area near the bike.

Thanks.

Those lasers look great. Bet you could light up a stop sign two miles away. Of course, that's all you'd be lighting up. :lol:

SacramentoMike and Patriot,
Now that you've had the Kristas installed for awhile how do you like them? Have you gotten some ride time on them at night? Have you gotten to compare them against any other popular driving lights out there?

I am seriously looking at the Kristas now. I like the LED features as far as power draw, dimmability, light weight, etc. I just wanted to make sure they throw enough light downrange and not just flood the area near the bike.
I really love these things, um, Paul? I don't ride too much at night normally, but daytime, in town, I just feel like they make me stand out to other traffic MUCH more than before. I always notice my reflection in the back of vehicles in front of me, primarily the Kristas, a constant reminder of how visible I am. I turn them up to max when splitting lanes, one of our local privileges, and have yet to have anyone cut in on me. Not that somebody might not just on purpose, but not because he didn't see me. Although there are those who would cut in front of a fire truck with lights, horns, and bells, so we still have to be careful, don't we?

I still haven't compared mine with any of the local guys who have seen them and who have other aux lights, since when I see them, it's always daytime. If nothing else, I'll have the chance to do that in Eureka at WFO. I think they do an amazing job of flooding the area in front of me as well as a good down-the-road projection, but that comparison hasn't been made yet. I know they're dramatically better than just the high beams. By orders of magnitude. I know something like the Soltek Fuegos could be brighter, don't really know yet, but I do know those have to be "off" most of the time when I'm still getting lots of benefit from mine.

When I show them off to anyone I get talking to about my bike. "Wow" is always a big part of the reaction, especially when I sound the horn. I can't wait to see how the folks in Eureka like them. By the way, I now have the dimmer button just inside the left grip like Patriot did. Much easier to reach, and no interference with Panel A removal.