amount of final drive gear oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irma

Reaction score
manual says .21 litre, .18 Imp Qt, or .21 US Qt BUT.......... you are supposed to fill to bottom of fill-hole and this amount doesn't come close. So what is it??

Fill it to the bottom of the fill hole; don't rotate the wheel to add any extra, just fill it to the hole.

don't rotate the wheel to add any extra, just fill it to the hole.
Why not?

Man, do have any idea how much enjoyment I get out of rotating the wheel to get those extra 5.3 drops in? Please, don't take that away from me. :(

I put mine on the center stand, put her in 5th gear 1/2 throttle and then I can get a full quart in her. Get a little slick the first 100 or so miles but then clears right up! :D

The old Yamaha 1978 XS1100 has the exact same final drive housing as the FJR 1300....but it specs to fill the oil level about 1 inch from the top of the hole. Yamaha supplied a little plastic dipstick to set in the hole with the plug out to measure the oil level. Yamaha increased the oil fill quantity in the FJR for some reason........ useless trivia but could mean that the final drive is somewhat insensitive to oil level...

The old Yamaha 1978 XS1100 has the exact same final drive housing as the FJR 1300....but it specs to fill the oil level about 1 inch from the top of the hole. Yamaha supplied a little plastic dipstick to set in the hole with the plug out to measure the oil level. Yamaha increased the oil fill quantity in the FJR for some reason........ useless trivia but could mean that the final drive is somewhat insensitive to oil level...

You saying my bike is put together with old parts? Say it isn't so!

And yes I do rotate to fill. I know the bike doesn't need it, but it makes me feel good.

You saying my bike is put together with old parts? Say it isn't so!

OK...."it isn't so"....but......look at the final drive housing. See the boss in the casting that is above and slightly forward of the rear axle that sticks out to the left?? That is/was the shock mounting boss on the 78 XS1100. It was drilled and tapped on the XS1100 for the left shock mount. Still there.....

I think the V-Max also uses the same final drive. Once Yamaha has a good mechanical design they milk it for all it's worth.
As well as the earlier 4 Cyl Venture, with higher gearing to boot. Don't like the way the Feej revs on the freeway? Swap in a numerically lower geared Venture rear.

As well as the earlier 4 Cyl Venture, with higher gearing to boot. Don't like the way the Feej revs on the freeway? Swap in a numerically lower geared Venture rear.
Has this been done??

Last edited by a moderator:
:blink: If memory serves me right the '05 manual shows a picture/diagram where you just fill it to the top of the hole.

Pretty sure the '06/'07 manual is the same as the only difference I found from the '05 to the '06/'07 manual is the area of stator output and tire inflation; on '05 was front 36 psi, rear 42 psi.

The manual for my '06 states front tire inflation is supposed to be 39 psi and the rear is still 42 psi.

Just changed the final drive oil for first time (600kms). Unit took about 190ml to top of fill hole. Manual says to top of hole with about 200ml. Spun tire and it would drop but settle back after couple of seconds. Good to go I guess.