An American Junkyard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
Different kind of RR for me today. No pictures of mountains, lakes, streams or waterfalls. I took my own advice for searching out new & interesting POI in my local riding territory and took work off today and headed out on the Feej to Cartersville, GA and stopped at "Old Car USA" which bills itself as the largest Old Car Junkyard in the world. It's been in the same location since 1931 and has over 34 acres of relics from 1972 and older numbering to more than 4,500 cars now. I never knew it was there even though I've literally ridden past it dozens of times. I actually saw it on a local PBS traveling Georgia show last Spring and I've been meaning to get up there to take some pictures ever since.

Apparently people come from all over the world to visit it and it's like a walk through time of classic Americana with almost endless antique Chevy's, Ford's, Lincoln's, Oldsmobile's & Chrysler's as far as the eye can see. There were several models I had never even heard of before. After the Bel Air's, Corsairs, Hudson's, Fairlane's, Chieftain's and Kaiser's...I kept wanting to take pictures of the old pickup trucks. I just love those things! If there is a problem with this place it's that it's almost overwhelming and its hard to focus when there are so many old cars to look at.

They def don't make cars/trucks like this anymore. Some of you older guys that might of actually owned some of these vehicles might get a kick out of what I saw today.

CarGarage_zps8609a221.jpg

BelAirI_zps198f1f12.jpg

BelAirII_zpse3fab128.jpg

ChevroletII_zps566f3cc3.jpg

BuickEight_zpsea25bc28.jpg

ChevyApache_zpsf10b2ca1.jpg

FordTruckInterior_zpse4fc5768.jpg

Firebird_zpsc0e6c3c0.jpg

ChevyTreeHood_zpsa62b26b8.jpg

Chevrolet_zps5ac78d51.jpg

ChevyLogo_zps7b3ae4de.jpg

ChevyTruck_zps2aeac9d7.jpg

Lincoln_zps460712b0.jpg

FordTruck_zpsb334e75b.jpg

V8_zpsf697a0bb.jpg

Truck1_zpscdf58c32.jpg

TruckIInterior_zpsd2c9a3d4.jpg

Oldsmobiles_zps5a63d57b.jpg

Hudson_zps5cff4ee6.jpg

Z-Keys_zpsfadc2b15.jpg

What a tragedy they lay there outdoors, rusting, decaying.

Wonderful RR, GR.

.. Where are the peeps from Garage Monkey when you need them?

just think of all the garage/yard art possibly, I like the hood ornament with keys in foreground pretty cool to my tastes.

Love it!! The only thing I like more than FJR's is some vintage tin. May they rust in peace. As the owner of a 78 year old vehicle, I just love looking at these pieces of Americana, objects that at one time were once the pride and joy of their owners, now lying in what may be their final resting place. Or maybe not, some may be lovingly brought back to their former glory by an inspired new owner.

Once again, your photo skillz have come to the fore. You've captured the shapes and textures of times gone by slowly returning to the earth from whence they came. Having owned, driven or ridden in some of the beasts in these images, I'm left with a sense of nostalgia and wonder at where we've been and how far we've come. Sure would like to tour this yard sometime.

Thanks for the art and the memories.
thumbsup.gif

Good one, GeorgiaRoller! Brings back memories for sure. A coupla nights work and we could shine one or two of those old girls up........

While you were there you should have had lunch at the restaurant right across the road. There is a water wheel that actually turns. The food and service were excellent. We ate on the patio looking across the road at "The Biggist Old Car Junkyard Noed to Man". I was curious but had no time to explore.

While you were there you should have had lunch at the restaurant right across the road. There is a water wheel that actually turns. The food and service were excellent. We ate on the patio looking across the road at "The Biggist Old Car Junkyard Noed to Man". I was curious but had no time to explore.
I have eaten there to but like you had no time for the junkyard tour.

.. Where are the peeps from Garage Monkey when you need them?
+1

Very cool stuff!
Thx.

Lots of old iron there, thanks for taking us back in time GR!
--G
No prob.

just think of all the garage/yard art possibly, I like the hood ornament with keys in foreground pretty cool to my tastes.
Yep for sure!

Love it!! The only thing I like more than FJR's is some vintage tin. May they rust in peace. As the owner of a 78 year old vehicle, I just love looking at these pieces of Americana, objects that at one time were once the pride and joy of their owners, now lying in what may be their final resting place.
I feel the same.

Good one, GeorgiaRoller! Brings back memories for sure. A coupla nights work and we could shine one or two of those old girls up........
Need some major elbow grease to shine up most of these things!

Great pictures, looks like a fun place to wonder around!
It really is.

Unique wonderful photos!!Thank you Nathan!!
smile.png
Glad you enjoyed them.

I saw that...but had just eaten a few hours earlier or I might of went across the street and gave it a try.

Do the folks that own the place actually sell anything from there? Doesn't look like anything could roll outta there.
I would imagine that they would. Most of the these cars chassis are completely rusted out, but lots of salvageable body parts for most of them.

Great pics! My dad owned the 53? Willys sedan on the roof and the 65? 66? Ford in the foreground.
Ok cool. Yeah you just can't beat those 50's & 60's trucks. Love them.

Fantastic photos, Nathan... you did a wonderful job focusing on some treasures out there and giving them a little life once again.
cool.png
Thx. Was nice to have a new/different photo subject to enjoy.