Another back again!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVF

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, this is getting spooky! Do FJR's cast a spell - you might get away for a while, but you'll be back!

Just bought my second 2007 after selling my first one (bought new) in 2014. This one needs some "fitting" - it has bar risers which I don't need, a Cee Bailey windscreen that I'll have to see if I like - I'm only 5'8", I was fine with the stocker, and I got a surprise when I looked under the seat and saw a Power CommanderIII. I know nothing about these, and the seller didn't mention it, so any advice would be appreciated - same with advice about losing the risers.

Anyway, glad to be back in the fold. While I was away, I cheated with a couple of FZ1's and Bandit's - like the lighter weight, but the FJR is just the class of the bunch! Glad you guys are still here!

I know nothing about these, and the seller didn't mention it, so any advice would be appreciated
Back in 2010, I bought a lightly used '07 FJR. The bike came with Leo Vince cans and a Power Commander III USB. The original owner had it Dyno Tuned with a focus on performance as well as smoothing out the throttle "snatch" at low throttle openings - especially problematic for early Gen II.

I got rid of the exhaust after less than 25,000 miles. It wasn't horribly loud but quieter is better as far as I am concerned (I have significant hearing loss due to heredity and many years of aural abuse). Besides, I didn't want to bother with repacking the mufflers as they got older as packing deteriorates and gets blown out. OEM have stainless baffles and are generally good for the life of the bike.
I was always puzzled about fuel consumption on the bike. The best I ever got was slightly over 40 mpg, no matter how carefully I rode. I tried it with the O2 sensor connected (as well as disconnected as per usual PC III installation instructions). Little difference. I ended out removing the Power Commander completely...
Fuel economy improved at least 20%.
No perceptible change in top end performance.
Throttle became more snatchy at low openings. I eventually got used to it, although some people find it to be unmanageable or at least difficult.
I rode it that way until I sold it with 186,000 miles to get my current 2011.

If you don't want the PC III, you have two (edit) three choices.
Live with it.
Go to eBay and buy a later ('09-'12) Gen II ECU. Yamaha improved the mapping significantly in later Gen II years. (The '07 still has a different cam profile at the throttle bodies which contributes to the abrupt throttle which can be offset (if needed) using a "G2" throttle tube.) Do a search on this...
You can also opt for having your ECU remapped. Do some reading about Ivan's flash. He offers remap for both Gen II and Gen III and some people have found it to be a great improvement over stock (although there are dissenting opinions). The following is a link to Ivan's website.

https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2.htm
Decent thread related to Gen II...
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/ivan’s-flash-tuning.179325/

Last edited:
Back in 2010, I bought a lightly used '07 FJR. The bike came with Leo Vince cans and a Power Commander III USB. The original owner had it Dyno Tuned with a focus on performance as well as smoothing out the throttle "snatch" at low throttle openings - especially problematic for early Gen II.

I got rid of the exhaust after less than 25,000 miles. It wasn't horribly loud but quieter is better as far as I am concerned (I have significant hearing loss due to heredity and many years of aural abuse). Besides, I didn't want to bother with repacking the mufflers as they got older as packing deteriorates and gets blown out. OEM have stainless baffles and are generally good for the life of the bike.
I was always puzzled about fuel consumption on the bike. The best I ever got was slightly over 40 mpg, no matter how carefully I rode. I tried it with the O2 sensor connected (as well as disconnected as per usual PC III installation instructions). Little difference. I ended out removing the Power Commander completely...
Fuel economy improved at least 20%.
No perceptible change in top end performance.
Throttle became more snatchy at low openings. I eventually got used to it, although some people find it to be unmanageable or at least difficult.
I rode it that way until I sold it with 186,000 miles to get my current 2011.

If you don't want the PC III, you have two (edit) three choices.
Live with it.
Go to eBay and buy a later ('09-'12) Gen II ECU. Yamaha improved the mapping significantly in later Gen II years. (The '07 still has a different cam profile at the throttle bodies which contributes to the abrupt throttle which can be offset (if needed) using a "G2" throttle tube.) Do a search on this...
You can also opt for having your ECU remapped. Do some reading about Ivan's flash. He offers remap for both Gen II and Gen III and some people have found it to be a great improvement over stock (although there are dissenting opinions). The following is a link to Ivan's website.

https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2.htm
Decent thread related to Gen II...
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/ivan’s-flash-tuning.179325/
Hey Ross, Thanks for the really great response. I did have a G2 throttle tube on my first '07, and also disconnected one of the throttle return springs, and I was pretty happy with that. I haven't really ridden this much yet, the bar risers make me uncomfortable, but I just found out I can't see how to get them off - I can't get a wrench onto the nut underneath. I'd hate to take it into the shop for this, so I'll probably keep trying.

Are you saying I can just remove the Power Commander? Or do I need to get a new ECU? Thanks again for your help!

Just unplug the PC and connect the (now) empty connectors together. Easier to do than explain. There will also be a ground wire to disconnect, IIRC. For the PC installation, the O2 sensor is normally disconnected so you will want to plug that back in.

Try before and after disconnecting the PC - you may decide you like it...

No. You don't need to replace the ECU but one from a later Gen II is likely to work better and can sometimes be gotten for cheap on eBay. My 2011 is much nicer in terms of throttle response than my '07 was but it didn't really bother me.
Read up on the Ivan flash too.

Which bar risers do you have?

I owned a 2006AE that I bought from the West Coast Sales Rep for Yamaha. I got a great deal on it and rode it over 100K. Loved the bike, started having some wonky transmission issues with it between first and second gear and somewhere along the lines convinced myself to sell it and get a Yamaha FZ8. What a mistake. The bike was fun to ride, but heaven forbide you have to do a long distance ride on it. I commuted on it and one day a good friend of mine passed away. I rode 650 miles to attend the funeral because my wife had other commitments and couldn't come with me. The lack of a windscreen, distance, and feeling like someone had taken a staple gun to my ears from the wind pressure on my helmet taught me that I needed to sell the bike and move on. I found my 2016A in Jefferson City, MO, brand new, 0 miles on it, in 2019. Flew out and picked it up on June 28th and rode back. Put some farkles on it and haven't looked back. One fun bike.

Thanks again RossKean. I believe they're Genmar risers. I did read up on the Ivan flash and am familiar with him from his popularity on FZ1s, too. Definitely going to take your advice and ride it for a while and see what I think, and what the gas mileage looks like.

Wow, thanks man! That was good to see - I thought I would need a replacement stock bolt, but that was part of the wire loom. I guess I could still just use a shorter nut - if I could only get to it!
My 2011 came with the risers installed, but I installed them on my '07 (14 years ago). Don't remember the details but the bars had to come off (obviously) and the upper triple clamp as well. IIRC I don't know what you will need in terms of hardware. Did they remove he wire looms or just cut them?

Look at the parts fiche under "Steering" and "Steering Handle Cable" for assembly clues.
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/o...2f8700209bc794049/2007-fjr1300a-fjr13aw-parts

I was fine with the stocker, and I got a surprise when I looked under the seat and saw a Power CommanderIII. I know nothing about these, and the seller didn't mention it, so any advice would be appreciated - same with advice about losing the risers.

Have a stock 2012 FJR ECU if you want to go back to stock and the current ECU does not seem right. But if you are going to reflash, then there is probably no need to replace it as Ivan will replace any custom settings you inherited from the previous owner. PM if interested.

Have a stock 2012 FJR ECU if you want to go back to stock and the current ECU does not seem right. But if you are going to reflash, then there is probably no need to replace it as Ivan will replace any custom settings you inherited from the previous owner. PM if interested.
The PC doesn't change the ECU in any way - it just reinterprets instructions to the injectors. That said. The 2012 ECU has a better stock map than the '07, but it won't make any difference if the plan is to reflash.
I found throttle management to be much better on my 2011 than my 2007 -