Another Seat Question (please don't pounce)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motochick

Reaction score
I have searched on seat options for the FJR and viewed the various pics and reviews but have not read any answers to my dilemma.

Which of these seats will keep me from sliding forward into the tank? Seems like just about every Japanese bike I've owned the stock seat slides you right into the tank (probably a worse feeling for you fellas). That's not so much a big deal for me on track or short spirited rides because I'm closer to the bars with elbows bent, but it really wears me down on long rides. Right between the shoulder blades from having to push myself back or my leg muscles from having to squeeze the tank constantly.

I don't want to get one of those big lazy boy iron butt seats. I just want a decent seat that won't slide me into the tank and won't break the bank.

Any suggestions? :D

-jen

Last edited by a moderator:
Jen, you might try a Google search....seat site:fjrforum.com or custom seat site:fjrforum.com

My basic response in answer to your query? The Russell is a big saddle, but it works for me and my style of riding. The Corbin is "hard" enough there have been a number of complaints. You might want to consider a Mayer saddle as some say they are more attractive and since it will be made custom for you, you could have him build the front section higher or the "bucket" lower to keep you in that riding position unless you wanted to slide to the tank for cornering.

I'd bet a little reading at Google: mayer seat site:fjrforum.com could provide much information for your decision. There are two brothers who build seats, Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer...someone else will have to comment on the differences. IIRC, most CA owners are going with Bill.

Good luck on your choice.

Thanks after looking through the various manufacturers websites. Rick Mayer's seats and description really seemed to address my issue with sliding forward. I know I won't like Corbin because I've tried them out (too hard). But it looks like no good seat is cheap and the best are the handmade ones. I just have to save up. Why does Yamaha put such a seat on a sport touring bike anyways.

Its a "sport" tour. Some guys ride this thing hard and love to slide up to the tank. Maybe Yamaha should offer two seats with the bike. A sport seat and a touring seat. As in any "custom" seat your preference is the most important issue. What works for you might not work for someone else. Just express your likes and dislikes when structuring your saddle with the builder. I have had a Corbin, Rick Mayer, and the Russell on the FJR. The Russell is by far the best seat for me. I have a Bill Mayer on the DL650 Wee Strom. I like it but its not a Russell for LD comfort. Good luck!

What are your measurements? I've noticed the same thing. I look down and my crotch is real close to the tank. Not right up to it but close. I'm 6'1" 210. With these measurements I can sit on anything with no height problems.

You're supposed to be slightly on the up-slope the seat makes as it reaches the tank. If you try to sit too far back to, say, get some more leg room, it kills your tail bone and butt. When you sit up where you're supposed to, like after you hit the brakes for the first time in your ride, it's much more comfortable.

You can get a seat made to get you all the way back to the pillion area if you want. That would be great for a guy who's 6'7". make sure the height won't hurt you if you get a saddle that sits you back further.

I've had a Rick Mayer, switched back to the stock seat and added an AirHawk seat pad. Now I'm done with seats. The flatness and width of the stock saddle with the AirHawk is amazing. I can ride all day in perfect comfort. The only time I notice my butt is when I'm thinking how perfectly comfortable it is. Plus, the pad only lifts you about 1/2". That 1/2" is legroom, too.

I guess just be careful about spending hundreds on seating experiments and small changes make big differences. If you're set on moving back check with the saddle maker to make sure moving back doesn't put you too high.

FJR will get you up those SF hills alright!

Cheers! :D

As others have suggested, your best bet is gong to be a custom made seat with specific attention to the issue you've raised. On the bright side, since it looks like you're in San Francisco already, its not too hard to do a ride in appointment with Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, Russell, or even Corbin. If you do the ride in appointment with Rick Mayer, you ought to get something that you really like, and the price isn't terrible.

I agree with you regarding the question of why they put such seats on sport touring type bikes. I rarely get along with a stock seat for more than a few hours ride. Fortunately, I'm big enough to break in a Corbin or Sargent in a few hundred miles, so I usually just order from one of these two companies. I am a days drive from Sargent, and I had them do a custom seat for me on a stock seat pan once, but that was because no one made a stock aftermarket seat for the bike of interest.

El Toro,

Try this guy: https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Fro $100 bucks it seems like he will fix your problem. I have read reviews of his work on this forum and they come back positive. I'm going to send him mine over this winter getting ready for the spring riding season.

Rob

Sorry Jen, I addressed my post to El toro but meant it for you!!

Rob

Its a "sport" tour. Some guys ride this thing hard and love to slide up to the tank. Maybe Yamaha should offer two seats with the bike. A sport seat and a touring seat. As in any "custom" seat your preference is the most important issue. What works for you might not work for someone else. Just express your likes and dislikes when structuring your saddle with the builder. I have had a Corbin, Rick Mayer, and the Russell on the FJR. The Russell is by far the best seat for me. I have a Bill Mayer on the DL650 Wee Strom. I like it but its not a Russell for LD comfort. Good luck!
Yeah this is uncharted territory for me I need to make sure I get something that works. All my other bikes have been on the sporting side(except for the old Concours which had a great stock seat) and I'd take them out for the day on some of the great roads nearby and ride hard. So sitting down was more like sliding from side to side on the pegs a lot. I never went much farther than weekend getaways with many stops to stretch and fill up our tiny gas tanks.

I got this bike to ride across country but I do like to hang off the seat on the fun stuff, but I don't want to be in pain because that will cause fatigue.

I'm close to 6' Spalkin and this seat just seems like a ramp sliding me forward whilst giving me a wedgee. So I use my knees squeezing the tank to stay in the middle of the saddle. Some of those Stompgrips might help my leg muscles a bit.

El Toro,
Try this guy: https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Fro $100 bucks it seems like he will fix your problem. I have read reviews of his work on this forum and they come back positive. I'm going to send him mine over this winter getting ready for the spring riding season.

Rob

Sorry Jen, I addressed my post to El toro but meant it for you!!

Rob
My seat is due back Wednesday from Spencer. I will let you know how it is. By the way, I told Spencer how much I was charged by the shipper and he went "softly" ballistic. He has offered to ship my seats back, at no cost to me, at his cost so that I can try to recoup my return shipping expense. If his work is half as good as his customer service we have a winner here.

Randy

Jen,

I'd like to offer a different solution to your slippery seat situation.

When I took advantage of the Bill Mayer seat group buy earlier this year I wasn't prepared for a super smooth seat while pushing the bike through the fun stuff. He builds a seat with no seam where you sit, that way you don't have a hot spot rubbing into your neither regions. It works very well but deprives you of any kind of anchor point to keep from sliding. Braking is a tuff job when your body slides forward but you don't want to stiffen your arms to try to keep yourself back.

I spotted a solution on my son's best friend's sport bike, its called "StompGrip". It is a sheet of moulded vinyl with volcanic shaped cones on a 3/4 inch grid. This sheet peels and sticks on the side of your gas tank. Since having it in place I stay put. Period! The bumps are tall enough to grip your pants and hold you in location when you squeeze the tank with your thighs. When you relax you can move wherever you want.

photo-2.jpg

The sheet comes in various pre cut shapes for the most popular sportbikes out there, but nothing really caught my eye. It also is sold by the flat sheet approx. 8x14 inches. I obtained my StompGrip at Cycle Gear in Pleasanton. A little pricy at 32 dollars a sheet, but I think well worth it.

Heres their website... Stompgrip

Something to think about - it's cheaper than a new seat. :rolleyes:

Brodie

edit: After re reading your post #9 I see you are aware of the stuff. Let me say this, I'm 6'5 with long legs and it keeps me in my place.

I've got a seat from Sargent Cycle Products and couldn't be happier. Their seat is LEVEL and will not push your 'good old boys' into the tank. I've used their seats several times before and will soon order another for my KLR. Take a look here:

https://www.sargentcycle.com/

Tech Spec also makes knee grips for the FJR, they work good for me. Look here:

https://www.techspec-usa.com/

+gunny

I'd offer the same suggestion. One of the key things I learned while attending a Kieth Code CSS course is that you hold youself in position on the motorcycle with you legs (knees against the tank). Any sort of grip panels will help, but try holding yourself in place with your legs. A way I learned to check myself is that even under the hardest braking or cornering, your arms should be relaxed on the handlebars. If you can chicken wing (wiggle your elbows) at full lean, then you're relaxed. The shape of the FJR tank does not lend it's self to locking in for corning like a on a sportbike, but you can adapt to it. Let us know.

-wr

Jen,
I'd like to offer a different solution to your slippery seat situation.

When I took advantage of the Bill Mayer seat group buy earlier this year I wasn't prepared for a super smooth seat while pushing the bike through the fun stuff. He builds a seat with no seam where you sit, that way you don't have a hot spot rubbing into your neither regions. It works very well but deprives you of any kind of anchor point to keep from sliding. Braking is a tuff job when your body slides forward but you don't want to stiffen your arms to try to keep yourself back.

I spotted a solution on my son's best friend's sport bike, its called "StompGrip". It is a sheet of moulded vinyl with volcanic shaped cones on a 3/4 inch grid. This sheet peels and sticks on the side of your gas tank. Since having it in place I stay put. Period! The bumps are tall enough to grip your pants and hold you in location when you squeeze the tank with your thighs. When you relax you can move wherever you want.

photo-2.jpg

The sheet comes in various pre cut shapes for the most popular sportbikes out there, but nothing really caught my eye. It also is sold by the flat sheet approx. 8x14 inches. I obtained my StompGrip at Cycle Gear in Pleasanton. A little pricy at 32 dollars a sheet, but I think well worth it.

Heres their website... Stompgrip

Something to think about - it's cheaper than a new seat. :rolleyes:

Brodie

edit: After re reading your post #9 I see you are aware of the stuff. Let me say this, I'm 6'5 with long legs and it keeps me in my place.

Based on my experience with a ride-in to Bill Mayer - you ride in, tell them what is wrong and what you want and when you leave your problems have been solved.

If your not that unhappy with your own seat one can use a sheep's wool cover for about $50 or an even cheaper route is some saddle tac spray some of the cowboy dudes use and even some motorcycle riders have been known to use it. I made my own seat as some others here have also done but thats a whole other thread.

Personally if your ok with your present seat but just sliding forward is the problem, I would get my seat altered by either shaving the seat to where it is more level and or replace the cover with a material that has a weave pattern or some other material that won't cause you to slide around. Either do it yourself or have it done. Good luck and keep us updated. PM. <><

saddle stick spray