Another stupid question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayshaw91

Reaction score
*sigh*

So I'm down getting ready to do the oil. Wrestle the bike up on the center stand, get the 17mm ratched head, and begin to turn... well... more like yank on the wrench with no result. So I think, hmmm... the bolt is upside down, so maybe I'll push the other way. No go.

So, the oil drain plug from the factory is on damn tight, this I now know. Before I go breaking more of a sweat do I PULL the handle towards the back of the bike or PUSH it towards the front wheel? I'm assuming push towards the front (that whole lefty-loosey, but upside down).

Someone let me know if I'm correct.

Lefty loosey, righty tighty. Yamaha over torques these big time. When you go to put the plug back in, hand tight is sufficient.

Um, what twn said...but, a bit tighters, eh? Gotta crush that new crush washer you bought when you bought the filter and oil, eh? It's only 49 cents (according to some counting kelly). Just changed my oil tonight...drunk as usual. Sprayed all the excess oil off with degreaser(I'm sure that will strip the paint). But, you have to see my scoot anyways.....then you will understand.

Use the right hand rule. If you pull the handle in the direction of the tips of your fingers, you'll be moving the bolt in the direction of your thumb.

I nearly soiled myself the first time I changed the oil on the FJR... put my wrench on the drain bolt... figured out which way to turn it to loosen it... (ok, it's upside down, so go right), pushed HARD.... and POP! :blink: :blink: :blink: Immediately my mind starts screaming "YOU DUMB FU&*!!!! YOU JUST SNAPPED THE HEAD OF THE BOLT OFF!!!! DAMNDAMNDAMNDAMN, NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!" After taking 3 or 4 deep breaths and further abusing myself... I put my hand down there to determine the damage (images of having to drill the bolt out swirling through my head... only to find that everything was .... O K. They had just moosed the bolt down the last time it was out, and that was the crush washer releasing... Holy $hit what a relief.... felt like I had just found a Benjy in my pocket...

Like TWN said... put on a crush washer, tighten it by hand, then a bit more with a wrench. Not much else is needed....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like I haven't changed oil before. Just I almost had a hernia tonight and before I overtorqued the wrong way I wanted to make sure I was turning the wrench the right way. Tough to visualize upside down, ya know!

(maybe I should be drunk and do this...)

Groo, I can SO see me soiling my undies if things snapped like that and didn't know to expect that.

Yep, crush washers... got 'em.

Like TWN said... put on a crush washer, tighten it by hand, then a bit more with a wrench. Not much else is needed....
That's not what he said, groo. He said finger tight. I said a bit more....but, then again....I am on beer 14. Nevermind. :glare:

That's not what he said, groo. He said finger tight. I said a bit more....but, then again....I am on beer 14. Nevermind. :glare:
odot, you dumb, drunk fuck! Read what I typed... 'HAND TIGHT'. Wada moran! :fuck:

Groo? That 'hand down there' comment? I'm givin' you a Mulligan on that one, bro! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I stuck my tongue out...that means something, don't it? Means that I am just playen, right? Hey, mike.....we ain't throwin' stones here....we're just rollin them.

Hey, I stuck my tongue out...that means something, don't it? Means that I am just playen, right? Hey, mike.....we ain't throwin' stones here....we're just rollin them.
& the next thing you know.....someone drops the stones & picks up a sharp stick.....& someone ends up missing an eye.....

Oh...yeah, right. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here. Might end up being a sleazyboard kind of thang. I won't go there.....I'll just go to bed.

OK, so the left/loose thing is beat and I know that. I still didn't get an answer on pushing the wrench handle toward the front or pull towards the back.

Like if a bolt was not upside down, to loosen I'd have the wrench on the bolt, handle pointing at me then push to the rear of the bike (standing on the left side). That'd make the bolt go counter clockwise and it would loosen.

So now the wrench is on the oil bolt, the handle if pointing at me as I sit on the left side of the bike still. Which way do I move the handle?

OK, so the left/loose thing is beat and I know that. I still didn't get an answer on pushing the wrench handle toward the front or pull towards the back.
Like if a bolt was not upside down, to loosen I'd have the wrench on the bolt, handle pointing at me then push to the rear of the bike (standing on the left side). That'd make the bolt go counter clockwise and it would loosen.

So now the wrench is on the oil bolt, the handle if pointing at me as I sit on the left side of the bike still. Which way do I move the handle?
Towards the front wheel.

I use a 1/2 inch drive ratchet to loosen the drain bolt and a 3/8 inch drive rachet to tighten the bolt. Using the smaller, shorter ratchet for tightening protects against overtorquing.

I don't use crush washers. I use a reusable aluminum? flat washer from Honda. Bolt just needs to be tight enough to stay put without any oil leaks. Not much torque is required.