Any washing machine repair persons out there?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
I've got a leaking Kenmore Elite model 10. Based on my Internet research, it's likely a leaking water pump at the front of the machine below the basket, just behind the cabinet / case. I want to remove the cabinet to confirm the diagnosis and repair it.

I've found a couple of good Youtube videos on how to remove the cabinet, like

. Trouble is, none of those looks like mine exactly, and I hate to try to pry something off in the event it's not meant to come up.
sadsmiley.gif
(I have tried prying up in several places, and nothing pops up, which is why I don't want to just keep increasing the pressure.)
Anyone recognize this machine and know how to remove the cabinet? Thank you!

51983175-e881-412f-887e-a8f9ecd69f89.jpg

8ad64242-dd39-4902-b0c4-c7d1f465235c.jpg

83241499-ec0f-44fe-b990-de87b06d18b3.jpg

64b80613-bedd-4c87-8077-77f7ed85f9f8.jpg

2cef390f-42ca-4fb8-9f12-ee96873809e6.jpg

76dfd270-49fc-4bad-ad0a-427e641bf8d9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

Good luck with that, seriously. For your time and trouble, you would have to like that washing machine a big bunch, to try to fix it. I hope you know, there is about a gallon of foul water that never leaves the machine (and please, do not tell your SO). Have a five gallon shop-vac on hand to deal with the bad water, which will spill out when you tilt the machine on its' side, unless you find it and remove it first.

When I had a problem with the machine that came with my house, I found a reputable little place that sold used washing machines. Some were repaired, some were trade-ins. All of them looked like new, and the place offered a one-year warranty; for any failure, you simply got another machine (selling at the same price you paid), with free pick-up and delivery of the replacement machine. I'm still trying to break the first machine I got from them (Kenmore), maybe nine years now.
grin.gif

When absolutely good washing machines are available for cheap, because somebody just did not like a knob or button on it, I would not waste the time and effort on fixing a lame one. Go riding.
coolsmiley02.gif

Cheers,

Infrared

There are tabs under the top and above the side walls. Use a flat blade screwdriver, a butter knife, or a putty knife to press them and pop the top off.

Most washers are pretty easy to fix, but one of my best friends owns a repair company, so if mine goes down, I call him.

On Infared's theme, the last time our washer took a dump, he said to replace it because it just wasn't worth fixing. Got a great GE washer for not much money, on sale at Sears.

Honestly, I had not considered the "replace" option. I figure a repairman is going to be at least $400, and the part I would need is at least $100, and that a new one would be $500. So I figured as much as I hate to deal with sh*t, I'd take a stab at repairing it. But I don't know what a new one would cost. So I am going to look into that. And Zilla, I will give the screw driver another try. Thanks!

Repairclinic.com is your friend. I've saved a dryer and washing machine and water heater using this site.
Agreed. I fixed a washing machine, dryer and dishwasher in the last 5 years. Then again, I don't mind taking a stab at DIY stuff, even if I know it doesn't necessarily make fiscal sense. I hate the waste of our throw-away society.

Have you dug in and located the leak? I fixed my washing machine my self, an L shaped plastic connecter at the back bottom of my machine was cracked. a little epoxy repair for 4$ and voila..

Also, in my attempts to take that fucker apart, I removed the basket, and found all the socks I lost in the past 3 years..

I can't tell you about taking apart this specific model, but most have stubborn clips to remove the top, remove control panel first, then pry up...... but, methinks you more likely want the back off. In the past, leaky pumps (or fittings) typically are diecast and corrode through due to the high alkalinity of soaps over time..... so yes, may be able to epoxy or just replace a component.... pump would be typically around $100 if you replaced it....... hope that helps a bit.

The screws in the rear upper corners, remove them and possibly the white clip right below that. Then the control should lift up and away exposing a set of screws holding the cabinet in place. Remove them and the entire cabinet will lift up and forward exposing the entire machine.

They're really not all that complicated to repair. Good luck with it!

It's a Whirlpool, one of the easiest to repair. You do not have to disconnect or move to far from the wall. Techs call them direct drives.

6" below the little hex bolt you see in the corner rear shot (pic 5) there should be a little Phillips screw that is angled down on each corner. Pull those then flip back the control panel back towards the wall and disconnect the lid switch that goes into the cabinet. If that screw isn't there then the end caps pop off and the screws are in front, always the trick as they changed that more than a few times thru the years and even techs have to look!

You will see two funny looking plated spring clips that you pop out with a flat blade screw driver. The cabinet then is ready for removal by lifting the lid and pulling the top towards you a bit then sliding the whole cabinet out.

You will see the water pump down at the bottom a dish-washing pan and a bunch of all towels as when you pull the two hose's you will get water! The water pump is simply held on by two clips and just pulls off.

If you are going to do this you should pull the motor out and replace the coupler not to much harder to do. I have a few thoughts on that two PM me if you want.

Thank you, new contributors, and Panman particularly for your detailed steps. In the mean time I have figured out that, as Zilla says above, I can indeed pop up the control panel from underneath the front. As of now I am moving forward with self-repair.... Stay tuned.

Hey, it's already dead, how can you make it worse? If you flub it up or can't fix it you are no worse off than before. I've done a lot of washer repairs and continue to be amazed and how convoluted all the tabs/slots and screwy bits can be for such a simple construction. Here's to hoping all that's needed is the pump and not the tub seal. If you run into trouble, buy some (good) beer and hold a tech day. They will have it fixed and running and not even realize what they just repaired until they go to do an intake synch ;)

Whoa...Are you guys paying attention? Zilla was right again. You may now add washer repair to my resume.

Remember, we grew up poor and our dad fixed almost everything, usually out of financial necessity. Living with that man taught us more than we think we know. Haha...

ohh, this gonna be good!
Hey! I fixed my FJR once: The glove box lid wouldn't close, so I taped it shut. So in the very best dcarver tradition:
fuck.gif

If you run into trouble, buy some (good) beer and hold a tech day. They will have it fixed and running and not even realize what they just repaired until they go to do an intake synch
wink.png
Great advice! Reminds me of something. Oh yes....

Tom-Sawyer.jpg