Anybody buy a 2012 yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonflyTN

Reaction score
I've got a 2005 ABS which I love (after mods for reducing heat to crotch!). No problems ever. I've read so much guff about the Gen II bikes that I've hesitated buying one, but now I'm on the verge. Has the throttle surge, spider ground issue, etc. all been fixed? I'm looking at a new 2012 for $14,599 (and hoping to find a better deal), but I'm no mechanic and usually throw back things I can't fix. Thoughts?

caveat.jpg

Hype & opinions can be sooooo frustrating for the new buyer!!! :assassin: My 2009 has ran great since day one and continues spanking Gen 1's as we speak...just kidding Gen 1 types.. ;) . The spider was changed on a recall without my bike ever having an issue and the throttle surge was never experienced beyond a slight flatspot around 2800 rpm....gone now...

The 2012 will be a great purchase and the blue is quite good looking, just not as cool as my black! :cowboy:

I have a 2006 with a bit over 100,000 miles of uneventful service. Had no issues with throttle and the spider thing did not effect me but the recall was done. When I get my next bike it will hopefully be a Gen 2 FJR. I have enough farkles that I would hate to replace them all just because I got a new bike, so the longer they make the Gen 2, the happier I am. VBG

Has the throttle surge, spider ground issue, etc. all been fixed?
That's why we have this area of the forum detailing by year which issues exist and status.

Depending on what farkles you have....switching from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 may be expensive if you have to replace things that are not compatible (i.e. windshields, seats, etc.)

Thanks Ignacio, that's good info. I was really more looking for actual hands on riding experience, which is why I asked if anyone actually had a 2012 yet. It's one thing to "say" something is fixed and another to actually have a bike with no problems.

There is TONS of actual hand on riding experience in those threads.....you just need to read them. :)

You can also expect that if somebody had a 2012 specifically that didn't have those things resolved....there would be TONS of chatter about it.

From all anecdotal evidence Yamaha 'got it right' for Gen IIs starting with the 2010 model year of the FJR. The last of the 'issues' to be corrected was the ground spider problem and 2010 was the first model year not requiring the recall.

That is, if you actually believe the hype that Yamaha 'got it right' with any year of the POS Gen II FJR. :)

You just have to whoop some people ass beford they get it right!! ;) Gen 2 Rules!!!! Yamabunga!! :yahoo:

What they aren't telling you is there was so much WRONG with the Gen I's ( ticking, cam chain issues...ect...ect) they Had to Redo the package and thus the Gen II's were brought forth to ride the roads of the world. Every "new" bike has some issues, the throttle surge was an ECU that didn't adjust to changes quickly. Easy fix! the ground spider really only effected those that added additional loads to the existing electrical system, I added a seperate electrical system for all additional items added, directly connected and grounded to the battery itself, no additional load to the existing system. No Problem. If the Gen I's were so good. Why change to Gen II's? <_< And the Gen II's look better. ;)

What they aren't telling you is there was so much WRONG with the Gen I's ( ticking, cam chain issues...ect...ect) they Had to Redo the package and thus the Gen II's were brought forth to ride the roads of the world. Every "new" bike has some issues, the throttle surge was an ECU that didn't adjust to changes quickly. Easy fix! the ground spider really only effected those that added additional loads to the existing electrical system, I added a seperate electrical system for all additional items added, directly connected and grounded to the battery itself, no additional load to the existing system. No Problem. If the Gen I's were so good. Why change to Gen II's? <_< And the Gen II's look better. ;)
1.jpg

1.jpg
I beg to Differ Sir! I total Agree with everything he just said. :lol: Let's just split the difference and call the Gen 1 a very nice but extremely flawed Crotch BBQ machine Prototype! :rolleyes:

1.jpg
+1

Amazing how far the Gen II pansies will stretch the truth to justify their poor choice in FJRs and little peckers!

1.jpg
+1

Amazing how far the Gen II pansies will stretch the truth to justify their poor choice in FJRs and little peckers!
Yeah........ If you look at it real close it may look like a Jimmy Dean Sausage Link but at least it's not Precooked! :lol:

WOW....and it's not even Friday yet. My Gen I has given me no trouble in 51k miles (just getting broken in). Juat my $.02.

Tom

the ground spider really only effected those that added additional loads to the existing electrical system, I added a seperate electrical system for all additional items added, directly connected and grounded to the battery itself, no additional load to the existing system. No Problem.
Being a Gen II owner, it truly pains me to have to agree with Howie that Yamaha screwed the pooch with their electrical ground design on the Gen II. You may have gotten lucky with no spider bite, but there's plenty of us that got spider bit and we all had properly installed aftermarket electrical accessories. All my power comes off the battery with the only tie into factory wiring being trigger voltage for relay.