Anyone buying an iPad 2?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right you are Zip. The N900 has a Playstation emulator, a Nintendo emumlator, a Gameboy emulator, a Sega emulator... on and on. With these I do not need to buy any of the devices, just the games (or download them in violation of the law - I've not done this) and can play them on my device. It can use the Sony Sixaxis controlers by blutooth). -Ha ha iPad/iPhone! You can't do it!

I know what you mean, Zip. My bro-in-law called me last week to ask when I was going to upgrade the maps on my Zumo 550. Ahhhh... never? I might do it for $50 lifetime, but the days of shelling out to Garmin annually are over!

One could spend one's entire life waiting for "the upgrade." The iPad is now well evolved.

We have two Gen 1 iPads at home (Dad's 3G and kids' wifi-only), and we like them twice as much as we thought we would. I'm really thinking of selling our non-3G model and getting a Gen 2 pretty soon. The 3G in particular is an incredible device, especially given the GPS and all. I'm no Apple fanboy, though I've been using their technology off and on since 1982.

Real-world example; We were in California looking at real estate. We were driving by a place, and in seconds, had the Zillow profile on it, and prices for all adjacent homes, then having a look at topography on Google Earth, and seeing what all the local, nearby stores, parks, etc. were on Maps. We took a look at nearby restaurant reviews and school ratings. One of the kids had to pee, so we accessed the "Sit or Squat" app to find the nearest public restroom. All this in seconds. This is seriously a game-changing device.

The new iPhone screen resolution is impressive. But I'm not sure how big a difference it will make on the iPad anyways. How HD must something be?

You could also consider the Motorola Xoom, which has had excellent reviews. But your Apple certificate won't work for that. :)

Btw, your wife, like mine, is awesome.
Like you, we used the iPad for house hunting and it rocks! I won a Gen 1 at work last year and the wife and kids promptly stole it. I would consider a Gen2 for sure, but also a 400 dollar gen 1 just to watch movies on planes when i travel for work, cant beat the size and battery.

The xoom is no fun, screen real estate is eaten up by status bars, since there is no home button, and the price is not justified now that the iPad 2 is out. Flash does not yet work on the xoom, once it does, I might change my tune.

Right you are Zip. The N900 has a Playstation emulator, a Nintendo emumlator, a Gameboy emulator, a Sega emulator... on and on. With these I do not need to buy any of the devices, just the games (or download them in violation of the law - I've not done this) and can play them on my device. It can use the Sony Sixaxis controlers by blutooth). -Ha ha iPad/iPhone! You can't do it!
We get it. You don't like the iPad/iPhone.

"My wife bought me a $1K gift card at the Apple store last October, and I've been holding out, waiting for the next gen. That was announced today, and I am a bit non-impressed. The screen is the same resolution, the rumored SD slot isn't there... and there are rumblings that iPad3 will be out in September. Anyone buying the 2, and why?"

The question "...and why?" asks for an opinion. I gave an opinion based on the capabilities of the device which was under consideration and another available, more powerful and more functional device. If it bothers you phroenips, that someone would express an opinion when an opinion is asked for I would suggest you might try squeezing a tennis ball. They come three to a can!

I currently use a Nokia N900. My phone before that was an Apple iPhone 3G and before that an iPhone 1 (I still have both as back ups). I have experience with iOS and I have been more productive with the N900 and my data usage over cellular has been much lower and that is important if you don’t have an unlimited data plan (between the lines).

The point I was trying to make (and not doing well in that regard apparently) is that the iOS devices are limited in function, support and features when compared to a number of other devices (I also listed Android).

There is a benefit to the iOS devices and that is there are more accessories for them than for other device and there is more software (full of ads) available but the majority of that software doesn’t do much (ex: ebook readers which can only open 1 or 2 ebook formats). The new screen is nice, but if you are using bifocals or reading glasses to read your morning news paper the benefits of smaller pixels and more of them on a small screen is lost as you won’t be able to read the minute text which that greater pixels density allows.

Again - JMDaniel the MacBook is a much better choice and I hope you enjoy it. It’s great for video editing on the fly and you are not limited to Apple’s approved software list.

David

In anser to the OP's question, my answer is YES, I'll be upgrading from my 16GB/3G iPad1 to a new 16GB/3G iPad 2 as soon as I can after March 25 (I'm in Canada) and so will my wife! I'm 99% sure that I have my old one sold. I have a MacBookPro from work, on iMac on my desk in my home office and I use them both all the time during the day. I wasn't sure how much I'd use the iPad before I got it, but I have found that I use it over the laptop when not in the office. I use it for mail, reading books (both Kindle and iBooks), surfing, Google Maps, taking notes in meetings and a few other specific apps. The faster speeds and the cameras are enough incentive to get me to upgrade now and the new cover is pretty cool.

I try an experiment last year in August on an 8 day trip - I only took the iPad and left the laptop at home. I try to blog while on the road for family and close friends and the iPad just did not work in my desired workflow. The other issue that I should have anticipated was that there was no way to put together routes on a computer and download the to the Zumo!

So I will be getting a MacBook Air soon for traveling on the bike - it's much lighter and smaller than the 15" MacBookPro that I have for work.

That all being said, I wrote this post on my MacBookPro in the living room! But in my defence I was also doing some coding - something the iPad can't do right now.

As for ads, I use a moderate number of apps on my iPad and I have yet to see ONE ad within an app - maybe I just haven't downloaded enough apps or the right (wrong?) ones, or just not iAd apps. I feel the negative emphasis placed on iAds in app for iOS is rather misleading.

Besides, If you don't like ads, buy the quality app for real money instead of using a free app.

DIsclaimer - I should add that I work for Apple in a senior management position in Canada, but that gets me no special access or pricing on the iPad - I paid full retail and stood in line like everyone else to get my iPad.

ian

Ian Stephens -

Here's some positive emphasis from Steve Jobs himself as he announces that a major difference between iOS4 and all previous iOS devices will be in depth support for in app ads and device wide ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7WVt63S49s

The ability to advertise is intentionally built into the Operating System! Get out of here "...the negative emphasis placed on iAds in app for iOS is rather misleading."

When the company tells you they are going to stuff ads down your throat and users say that ads are being stuffed down their throat... Ads are being stuffed down throats!

Ian Stephens- as an Apple employee you'd be the person to ask -

Here's a great question: If iOS 4 has multitasking, why would users need to worry about losing their spots in their aps (as Jobs's presentation clains)? If it multitasks you can just jump right back to the ap and it will be where you left it. It doesn't multitask.

"Apple is going to sell and host the ads and give developers a 60% share of the profits." That's why the ads are so prevalent. Apple profits from them, taking a share of what the developers were making before iADS was introduced. Apple promotes the inclusion of ads in all aps.

Oh, and by the way, I can code on my N900!

David

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

Pretty obvious that the N900 is a great device for you, and you're fortunate to have found something that meets your needs so effectively. Regardless, though, I think we're talking apples and oranges here.

I don't see doing most of the stuff I do on the iPad on the smaller screen you're using or any smartphone. Video, maps, gaming, web surfing, email, calendars, whatever: all of that looks inarguably better on a larger screen. Finger gestures and keyboard utility are easier on a bigger screen. I can't see my kids using the smaller screen you're using. And as stated by Ian, I've downloaded about 100 apps or more, and I've yet to see ads in anything other than some of the free, cheeseball games and site-based apps where you'd expect to see them (WSJ, USA Today, etc.). I am absolutely certain that ads will become a part of the platform - as they have ubiquitously on the web, and as they will ultimately on all platforms. But remember that they also help defray the cost of applications and getting data. And there are certainly likely to be ad-free, paid options.

One of the other things not mentioned here, compared to a laptop: instant start and data availability. This is one of the things that makes this device so effective compared to a laptop.

I'm no Apple Fanboy; I have all types of different technology (though it's impossible to ignore what Apple and Steve Jobs have done for the technology industry). We have three Windows 7 machines at home, a few different iPods, and an iMac, and a couple of Blackberry smartphones. I've been looking at and pretty impressed with the HTC and new Motorola devices.

Nevertheless, I will get an iPad 2 this year at some point, despite poor reviews on the cameras and if someone such as the OP were asking me, I'd recommend it whole-heartedly.

Meanwhile, David; you type your response on the those little N900 keys. I haven't bothered to use a keyboard on the iPad this time (though it's certainly easy enough with reasonably effective predictive text). I'm happy to respond using the free Dragon voice-to-text app in seconds (with admittedly just a few corrections.) Love my iPad and have had way more value out of it than I would've another laptop. Like your smart phone, we're talking different things here. iPad 2 is going to be another smash hit, I'm guessing.

Everything I've typed here was using the physical keyboad of the N900 but if you must have an on screen keyboad it of course includes one. If the keys on the device are too small you can use a blutooth laser keyboard and type on any surface or use a physical USB keyboard. No USB support on the iPad/iPhone.

Hey guess what? I can type with gloves on (including motorcycle gloves) using either keyboad! iPad/iPhone cannot because capacitive screens require skin contact (or another soft object which can carry current). Important consumer information for a Motorcycle website!

Speech-to-Text.... you mean like PocketSphinx on the N900? You say it, it types it... yep. I've got it! There is nothing the iPhone/iPad can do thst the N900 cannot.

I've just shut my TV and surround sound off with the infrared port and Remote Control software on my N900. Not on the iPad/iPhone. They don't have IR ports. The Palm devices (and others) also have IR ports and I can exchange info with them using that interface.

The iPad's larger sccreen is nice but I can put the N900 into my pocket. They do make iPad shaped man purses so you can lug them about. Jon Stewart showed them on his show a few months ago. I do dislike the lint which ends up on my physical keyboard as a result though... You know what I mean? Oh, iPad... right... you wouldn't. I also have GPS... iPad?

Hey if we were stuck in a field, you with your iPad and me with my N900, what would you do when your battery died because I would change mine. JMDaniel will also if he buys the Macbook.

David

I've got a solution that will stop this squabbling between 2 FJR brethren. Zip, you buy me an iPad, and Monkeyman, you ship a new N900 to me. I'll put the units through the paces, and at the end, (which may be after a couple of years of intensive testing), I'll declare a winner! Sound good? :lol:

Curse you, MonkeyMan. I am foiled again by your superior intellect! You have out-geeked me at every turn! And despite Apple selling 15 million iPads and introducing a very nice upgrade in less than a year to a public that overwhelming loves them, it's obvious the N900 is superior. (For you.)

Seriously, man: Uncle!
laugh.gif

On the laptop discussion, you might find this article interesting, that I stumbled across this morning over breakfast (with the iPad): Laptops play catch up to the iPad, Xoom . It cites several of your points and mine. Until a laptop has instant start and 3G or 4G availability, it's still not as utilitarian as a tablet. .... Or your N900!

Now, seriously, too; as smart as you are, swing by and help me install my Cruise Control. Then let's take our tech devices and go ridin' sometime! (I hope you're going on the Chowder Run?)

I'm in the market for a tablet and am tired of waiting.

The 7" versions of the Androids are a bit small for day-in and day-out and don't yet have the Honeycomb OS (Android 3.0). The flip side is that they do what I want, Galaxy Tabs are available used for a great price, have built-in GPS, available on nearly any phone system, and the size factor is MUCH more likely to be with me where ever I go.

The Ipad and 10" Xoom cost more and are worth it just for the gorgeous bigger screens. There are currently more Ipad apps, but what I need is on Android too, with more coming fast. Somehow, I don't need the excessive number of apps that are kiddie games, make farting sounds, or make my tablet look like a StarTrek Tricorder. I like both pads a lot, with the downsides being price and that neither fits my tank bag.

I'm honestly stuck on this, but want to have something within the next few weeks, due to some pending trips.

Decisions, decisions...

Zip - Intellect had little to do with things. I'd say it was a bit more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0bMHK7ym0

Until JMDaniel said "Hey you kids! I swear to gad I'll turn this darn post around!"

Zip + Monkeyman in unison: "Sorry Mr. Daniel (and under the breath "JM means jerk man!"

JMDaniel: "What was that? Don't make me come back there!"

Zip I used to work for Autosound in Massachusetts installing mobile electronics including cruise control. I actually could help.

Chckswrecks - You can find great prices at TigerDirect(dot)com. They also have a great return policy. They often put the Android tablets and Netbooks on sale but some of those sales require you receive the sales prices by email ad. With the savings there making a mistake in terms of your choice is harder end up stuck with. It doesn't hurt as bad as buying from a mass market retailer (Best b*y and others). Don't forget you can recover most of your investment by selling whatever you get on Craigslist or eBay.

David

I have a 27" iMac i5, an iPhone 3GS, and an iPod Touch.

I also have a Kindle 3 (3G+WiFi) and wouldn't swap it for a tablet-based ebook reader. My iPhone lets me surf when travelling (as does the Kindle in a limited way). The Kindle rocks with eInk, legibility, and battery life.
IMHO the iPad is a large iPhone with a bigger screen and no phone. I have an iPhone 4 which works as advertised. A laptop for heavy lifting and serious web surfing. A Netbook for travel to download videos from my Sony Handycam and pictures from my Nikon DSLR. I have a Kindle 3G to read with.

While the iPad would be great fun I can't download my vacation videos to it or pictures from my Nikon. I get headaches reading for long periods of time on LCD screens and my Kindle's e-ink is absolutely great to read on and the battery life is amazing.

I just can't find a good reason or excuse to justify an iPad2 considering the way I use my technology.

!!WARNING - Standing on soapbox now!! - Please stop reading if contrary opinion offends!

Concerning the iPad2 I had to laugh to myself. It is what the iPad1 should have been in the first place. I mean really, no camera on the original iPad. You can't think no one at Apple stopped and said "don't you think people will want a camera to take pictures and use for chatting, and how about an SD slot or USB port so images can be loaded to it"? Apple has planned obsolescence down to a science. Not a Apple hater as I love my iPhone and my son loves his iPhone and Macbook, just surprised that Apple intentionally leaves what seems to be key features off of a device yet everyone still can't wait to have it. If Microsoft had come to market with such a device we would have laughed it into the dustbin of history even if the operating system was rock solid. I do believe there is some "Apple is cool, whatever they produce is cool, therefore I must have one to be cool" regardless of the actual specifications. Imagine what Apple could give us if consumers demanded more before they drank the coolaid. Just saying.

!!off of soapbox!!

Still when the specs are right and the functionality is there I could see buying a tablet to replace the Netbook someday. Just not today!

The iPad doesn't work for me. I need to be able to download my vidoes from my helmet camera and photos from my Nikon.
The iPad works great for me. I load the photos from my Canon and Olympus cameras onto the iPad for easy uploading to blogs, etc...

Course, I don't have the storage requirements that you have for your high end equipment!
wink.gif

Since I have an iPad already, I don't think there is enough new in the hardware to make me want an upgrade yet. I will be getting some benefits out of the iOS update (much like I did on my iPhone 3Gs when the iPhone 4 came out
wink.gif
) But if I were buying now, I'd have no issue with buying the iPad2. You will definitely get your money's worth out of it. To me it would be like saying "I'm gonna put off buying my FJR (and not ride this season) 'cuz I'm gonna wait for something better to come along." Just buy one, you won't regret it! :D

And I find it funny that twenty-odd years ago there were Apple Evangelists , and now there are Apple Anti-Evangelists!
rolleyes.gif
Sorry Monkeyman but I had to stop reading your posts halfway through the thread. I don't dispute that there are devices out there that do more than my iPad, but for most of the population, Apple makes a more appealing product.
wink.gif

And I find it funny that twenty-odd years ago there were Apple Evangelists , and now there are Apple Anti-Evangelists!
There have always been Apple "Anti-Evangelists". Just like there are FJR "Anti-Evangelists". They can be seen riding Concours, STs, etc...

I have the iPad (just got it a couple of weeks ago, as a matter of fact), and I can transfer photos and videos from my camera to it, using the camera connection kit.

No! I've got better things to do with my life, other then staring into a little screen for hours. Alot of people are going to look up someday and wonder " where did my life go?" I don't text either, big waste of time I think. I actually get out and do "real" things with my life. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

No! I've got better things to do with my life, other then staring into a little screen for hours. Alot of people are going to look up someday and wonder " where did my life go?" I don't text either, big waste of time I think. I actually get out and do "real" things with my life. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Hmmm... Interesting perspective... but my iPhone and iPad actually allow me to be more efficient providing even more time to "get out and do 'real' things with my life."
wink.gif