Anyone Currently Racing Or Previously Raced?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have raced MX from 88-94 and most recently Desert Harescrambles and West coast Enduros from 02 untill current. I have owned enough bikes to bore you with, and currently run a modified for offroad 2005 YZ250. In the past week (just got my FJ) the YZ collects dust and the FJ has been getting a workout :D

101xxx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I raced WERA, AMA and AMA CCS from 1979 to 1987 mostly on RD's and RZ's and endurance on a GPZ 750. I won the WERA D-Superbike National Championship in 1985 and 1986 and the AMA CCS Lightweight Superbike National Championship in 1986. I have beaten Kevin Schwantz more times than than Wayne Rainey has. He had an RZ and a FJ600 in 1985 and I beat him consistantly on the RZ (his stock, mine not) and usually on the FJR (vs the GPZ 750). He just kept getting faster and faster and in 1986 got the Yoshimura ride and the rest was history. In 1985 I was in first at the GNF at Road Atlanta in front him and Ed Key who was also very fast. I had my first DNF of the year and I can't remember which one of them won but Kevin gave me a ride back to the pits.
I've run at Daytona and Rockingham at night. Pitted at Talledega next to Lawson and Rainey on the factory Kawasaki's and have a whole lot of great memories from the old days.
Welcome to the board. Interesting first post. There is nothing in your profile about what part of the country you are in. What vintage FJR do you have?

Bike Effects - I posted some on the other board. I have an '05 that I got on May 7th then promptly snapped my leg in a martial arts accident on June 2nd and was in bed for a month and will be on crutches for another month or so. Reading stories about you guys riding doesn't do me any good so I haven't visited here much.

I am in the southeast (Atlanta, GA). Most of my racing was at Road Atlanta, Savannah and the NASCAR tracks around the south with an occaisional trip up north. I also won a number of regional championships but didn't really keep up with them. I went to the WERA site to see if they had archives but they don't go back that far so everyone else feel free to lie about your prowess too. The only problem will be if two guys claim to win the same championship. I have a really cool pic of me in victory lane at Daytona with the Championship Cup and the number one plate. I need to scan it in so I can post it.

Panthercity - Though I went to both thirty-hours (79 & 80??), I didn't race. But your'e right, that is a good way to use up some equipment.

In 1984 (85??) AMA-CCS had a four hour (maybe six) that started at sunset.

At least I have my facts straight (or do I)

TommyB,

We ran the `79 (I'd forgotten there was a second one in `80) on a GS1000S. Chuck center punched the Vespa in the early morning hours. We scavenged the front end off the boss's street GS (he was asleep) and managed to finish.

IIRC, the flat slides were still good, but not much else...

I am in the southeast (Atlanta, GA). Most of my racing was at Road Atlanta, Savannah and the NASCAR tracks around the south with an occaisional trip up north.
Don't you hate what they've done to Road Atlanta! Roebling is one of my fav spots! Still do occasional trackdays there! Have you made it to VIR yet? Might be my new fav! Barber looks interesting also. Mid Ohio and Road America are always favs.

Panthercity,

I was with a group of guys from Atlanta called Blue Moon Racing on a CX500. I believe they finished top five overall. I had forgotten about the chicane, I mean Vespa.

RTSR1/FJR

I do hate what they have done to Road Atlanta. It's not Road A without the dip. If it would have gotten us a Formula One race or a GP it would have been worth it but as long as the wall is outside of turn 12 it will never happen.

I won my first race at Roebling and it was always one of my favorite tracks. I mentioned racing with Schwantz. The first time I met him was at a 6-hour at Roebling and they were pitting next to us. He came in hot, of course, grabbed too much brake and went tumbling by our pit.

I haven't been to Barber yet but will in the next few months to see something. It is supposed to be amazing.

TommyB,

We were riding under the Dallass Suzuki banner.

Re: Road Atlanta

I understand why they took out the Gravity Cavity, but Atlanta loses something w/o it. I'm not sure I'd want to hit it with a modern bike.

Then again, I never hit it with modern suspension, so.....

Re: Road AtlantaI understand why they took out the Gravity Cavity, but Atlanta loses something w/o it. I'm not sure I'd want to hit it with a modern bike.

Then again, I never hit it with modern suspension, so.....
I remember the first time there in '88. First lap of practice almost looped it over wheelie hill (T5) and about shit my leathers coming around T9 down to the cavity! lol Good times for sure!

In 85 we got an RZ500 and tricked it out with an aluminum frame, marvic wheels, brembo's, etc. I wheelied over turn 8, sat it down at about a buck-20 and went into a huge wobble that almost spit me off but didn't (luck not skill). I gathered my composure and got back on the gas, through the dip up to the bridge and when I grabbed a handful of brakes, there was no one home. The wobble was so bad it backed the pads off. I didn't crash but ended up on pit lane which was good 'cause I also needed new shorts.

My best memory of the dip was seeing Mike Smith wheelie Big Papa into it at about 180.

Hey Tommy,

Sorry to hear about your leg dude and I hope you get better real quick ! I'm divorced now but I remember those marital arts....I was up to a blueball belt too.... :D !

Bobby

Thanks Bobby. It looks like I'm still a couple of months out from going riding but it's like 96 degrees in Atlanta so I'm not missing anything today.

Tommy

sounds like there are quite a few racers around here...

I did the WERA thing for a few years on and off starting around 2000. too expensive to do it much but I enjoyed my time on the track on my old Hawk (NT650). I moved to an SV and did a few endurance races with friends (best bang for the buck IMHO) and then stopped about two years ago when I started a new job and just don't have time for it any more..

still get out and do some track days with a club I ride with (floribama riders) and it's all good.

Barber is excellent, RA is fun but lots of patches these days, Jennings GP in north FL is really nice, and haven't been to Roebling in a long time. would like to go back if I have a chance to go play there again..

I do take the FJR out on the track days. mostly two up with my fiance on the back. much better track bikes int he stable (my modified Hawk is the best). Sv motor blew at barber last year so it's being parted out if anyone needs parts from a 99-02 SV (thermosman forks, rear wheel, etc.).

I have been thinking about doing some off road racing. got back iinto dirt riding recently and really enjoy it. ride at durhamtown every so often and around rome GA at a little place nearby.

but it is fun and addictive. you're never too old to race BTW. not that i'm old but a good friend of mine was 49 when he started racing and has won a regional championship with WERA in the lightweight classes. they are much more fun anyway. go find a fairly stock hawk and run clubman... :)

I was a corner worker for a number of years. Running around dodging crashing bikes lots it's thrill, so now I teach beginning motorcycle classes. :blink: As for racing, a friend puts it this way:

Going racing can make a crack habit seem like a vague craving for something salty.
I might put together something in lightweight or other non-current club level class if I get far enough ahead of everything else. OMRRA and WMRRA run a "Formula 160" class- Vintage Honda 160s. Wide open, they do about 85. It's all about drafting and corner speed, and who's got the cojones to keep the throttle pinned the longest..

... As for racing, a friend puts it this way:
Going racing can make a crack habit seem like a vague craving for something salty.
You're a friend of Peter Egan's??? ;)

OBTW, it's more expensive than a herion habit as well...