Anyone Else's Rear End "Sand Blasted"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLR8

Friday Driver
Reaction score
It's not really a problem so I didn't put it in that section.

I finally got around to washing the FJR and noticed the rear of the bike around the taillights and rack is pitted and chipped a from road debris. Even the taillights are chipped up a little. I have made no fender mods at all.

It's not the end of the world I was just wondering if it happens to others. This galaxy blue on the 05 FJR is some major cheap ass stuff. Fart on it and it scratches. It's pretty when it clean but it's a pain in the ass color.

-r

No damage to my '03 with 8500 miles on the clock. My rear reflector was removed about 3000 miles ago, so I would have less protection. Sorry for you chips.

Yup, I have the same thing. Pulled the reflector off day one and put it back on when I noticed the paint chips. Crappy-ass soft paint on the '05's.

Yup, I have the same thing. Pulled the reflector off day one and put it back on when I noticed the paint chips. Crappy-ass soft paint on the '05's.
Hmmm, I lied. I did remove my reflector. Crap. That little ol thing can't do much? Oh well, bikes are made to be ridden and can't stay pretty forever.

Let me whine some more though...the clear coat could be a little more robust.

-r

That little ol thing can't do much?
Erm, yeah, I guess so! Of course, I suppose sand and road debris flying up at the paint at 70, 80, 90 mph or more might have that effect... Still, the paint is pretty soft especially on the plastics.

I finally got around to washing the FJR and noticed the rear of the bike around the taillights and rack is pitted and chipped a from road debris. Even the taillights are chipped up a little. I have made no fender mods at all.
Now you know why some of us have even extended the stock rear fender to help reduce this problem:

mf1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some serious "man fenders".

Live and learn. Never thought the shit could make it up that high. Probably got a hole in my skull and I don't even know it.

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
You haven't seen soft paint until you see the crap that they put on Goldwings. I've got a black GL1800 and it is a bitch to keep it looking good.

Bananas!