Anyone have AIRSOFT PELLETS in their tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used dyna beads a bunch of times with no complaints. Seem to work. But the interesting bit is what you see AFTER you've dismounted your worn out tire.

The beads are embedded in the soft inner liner and none of the beads are free to roll and provide 'balancing'. Maybe because they've taken a set their is no need for additional balancing. Or, maybe I ride to fast. But it would seem to me that some re-arrangement of the beads over the life of the tire would be required. Even more concerning is the roads up here are ROUGH, and with the constant pounding the tires take it would dislodge the beads with some randomness. It just doesn't appear to be the case though.

The seat of the pants says they work. The physical evidence suggests beyond the first few rides, they don't move at all.

shrug.

Pays yer money, takes yer chances

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="wheatonFJR" data-cid="1083607" data-time="1374806745"><p>

Effen snake oil.<br />

<br />

Period.</p></blockquote>

Exactly!

First off, this is a work in progress post as I am about to give this a shot and I will post results. I have been looking into Dyna Beads for the fact that I can get my tires swapped by a local "Auto Tire" shop "cheap", however they cant balance of course. After researching the Dyno Beads I saw a post that someone said use Airsoft Pellets (Walmart). They posted nothing else, so I went on a search and found it is VERY common around the 4x4 community to balance big tires this way. Anyway I found a thread on the advrider forum that gave instructions. Basicly add the same amount as the Dyna Beads. I have 6K on my PR2's and they seem to be balanced and wearing fine. I plan to mark the wheels and remove the weights. Break down the tires and pour in 1oz front and 2oz rear(as per dyna bead inst). Then go ride. If balance seems right then great. Then to TEST the science I am going to install the wheel weights opposite where they were and ride. Ill post the results. Please post your experiances. Also watch the

Dyna Beads

I tried the beads, when I first got new tires, on my 09.I was having weird,tire wear, on the front.
The beads were great, until I got on the highway. We’re noticible front end, shimmy at triple digits.
I spoke to the seller. They said the beads, are not designed, for those type of speeds.
He said at those speeds, the beads are held solid, by the centrifical force. And will not function, correctly.

@MR05DODGE This is a very old thread whose topic has been beaten to death in forums over the years. Are you sure you want to revive it?
Yes, there is nothing new to learn, no new developments, no new questions allowed.

Several years ago I attended a FJR rally in Pembroke Ontario and someone gave me a package of these magic tire balancing beads called Counter Act Motorcycle balancing beads. I gave them a try and was very happy with them. I've since purchased Counter Act balancing beads for installation in the Super Tenere, Ducati 999 Super Bike, both my Ducati Hypermotards. When it's time to change tires I vacuum the used beads out of the wore out tire with my handy Counter Act bead vacuum and reinstall them in the new tire.

Today I changed tires on the FJR in preparation for EOM in three weeks. I reused the same balance beads that I was given at CFR in 2016. They never wear out and save me time and money balancing tires. Balance beads are the real thing and work great.

Like WheatonFJR said ten years ago. It's effin snake oil, period.

Snake oil or not, I'll never balance a tire/wheel again and will continue to enjoy Counter Act Motorcycle balancing beads.

Counteract balancing beads

Last edited:
I run them in everything. Not had any issues except for one time when I used some really goopy bead lube - some got in tire and beads stuck to it.