Anyone in Daytona besides me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby

Reaction score
Just was thinking how many of us forum members went to Daytona. I was there for the first weekend and of all the years I have been I don't think I have seen it this sparse. Maybe it was the cold weather with rain from day to day or the economy really has crimped the style of riders that normally go. I did run into a couple on their FJR while at a red light and it was nice to see another FJR rider having a good time.

I stopped by the BMW Stealership and drooled on the GT 1300; only to think I have my 03 paid for and still doing smiles per miles. So why plunk down 27 grand and get pretty much what I already have and paid for.

The other notable event for me was at the Yamaha tent by the speedway. I just wanted to see what the FJR there was like, it was a 09 and not much more than stock. However there was a couple of gentlemen looking it over, I just listened in for the sake of listening. One of the guys there was ripping the FJR pretty good, saying the new Connie would run circles around the FJR. How the braking on the FJR was sup par compared to other ST's. That the heat issues were not resolved just redirected (don't ask me what that means). Well having said all that the few guys started to leave. Me being who I am could not leave it alone....I asked him what he rode? By chance was it a 1400 Connie? He told me no but he has been researching ST's since he was planning on getting one. Scarasam set in and I said so your a Wannabe ST rider with no idea of what a ST bike really is. You might want to test drive a few since your knowledge is limited by advertisment endorsed articles. He just walked away.

Other than that it was fun.

I will be there this weekend after the Legends Ride and Jax pizza party. I too LOVE my FJR!

Having said that.... I still want to test ride some other mentioned cycles (For the experience)

Interested in a duel sport for 2nd bike. I hope Daytona is "dead" this weekend too... More

time for test rides! :lol:

I've been to both the BMW dealership and the Yamaha tent on both Sunday and Monday. I, too, am going to Jax today and will be back in Daytona area Saturday.

Concerning the BMW prices, I did notice there that they had some "buybacks" with great prices on some new, older models (not that I need a bike); they had a new '07 K12GT for "I think" $12K, and a new '08 K12GT with a rear top box (I guess it was a BMW accessory) for ~$14K. They also had some '09 Triumph and Ducati markdowns.

They had a new black '09 Bonneville for $6K; I pondered getting that for the "wife", but the impulse passed.

One thing on the '10 FJR, the bottom of the side plastic cowling is different, looks a little flared out sorta; other than that didn't see alot of difference. I did talk to a fella that, like your experience, was researching S-T's, although he wasn't "dissing" the FJR's. I told him my experience and how much I liked them, and some of the comparisons between them and the C14, and ST13. Hopefully I made a convert.

If some of you guys want to meet up, we could pick a time on Saturday and be there then, maybe Hooters at noon or something, or even the Yamaha tent. I'm taking a laptop to the hotel in Jax, so can look later...

I rode down out of Indiana on Sunday and got here Monday. Have seen several Fjr's and lots more sport bikes, fewer HD's than in years past. You're right the town's pretty empty, but will probably pick up as the week progresses. Found a nice motel on S. RT 1, Scottish Inn, for a hundred a night. Lots of motels advertising low rates, much different than years ago when you had a hard time finding a room and most places had a five night minmum.

We missed the predicted rain Monday, but it's cloudy and cold today. Main street was basically empty last night. I rode down and had no problem finding a parking place. Heading to Beach Street this morning and will check out the over-priced BMW's while there. Going to the short track tonight at the new track outside of turns one and two at the speedway.

This is my 23rd year for B/W. It used to be alot bigger when there were waiting lists for Harley's. I did notice a lot of bikes heading north as I was riding down. I think a lot of people are coming earlier to take advantage of lower lodging rates. Most aren't inerested in any of the racing anyway. BTW, the AHRMA races were good as usual, but the winds were so high, they struggled in the tri-oval and I saw several bike moved off the course in the International Horseshoe portion of the course.

Racer

Sarcasm set in and I said so your a Wannabe ST rider with no idea of what a ST bike really is. You might want to test drive a few since your knowledge is limited by advertisement endorsed articles. He just walked away.
:clapping:

Seems like ever since the Cycle World sport touring article, the babble is all about the ST1300 or the Concours. Granted, Yamaha has not made any drastic changes on the FJR recently, but heck, look at the changes that have been made since 2003. It's not a perfect bike, but it's pretty damn good. I test rode the BMW 2009 R1200RT and the 2009 K1200GT the other day. Both nice bikes...but for my money and the value it brings...that test ride confirmed that the FJR is the right bike for me. Then consider all the maintenance and how-to research the members of this forum have shared, all of it at our fingertips, and you have really got a great value in the FJR.

So good for you and thanks for speaking-up!

Leaving from Pensacola in the morning, 2 X FJR's, 2 X Goldwings, an 08 Connie and a ZX10, staying till Sunday, going to the 200 and the SuperX.

Skippy

I will be there this weekend after the Legends Ride and Jax pizza party. I too LOVE my FJR!Having said that.... I still want to test ride some other mentioned cycles (For the experience)

Interested in a duel sport for 2nd bike. I hope Daytona is "dead" this weekend too... More

time for test rides! :lol:
Jax pizza party??? I live in Jax well Orange Park.

Leaving from Pensacola in the morning, 2 X FJR's, 2 X Goldwings, an 08 Connie and a ZX10, staying till Sunday, going to the 200 and the SuperX.Skippy
Will have to set up a place to meet on the weekend for a ride. I don't know many of the roads around NW Florida but would love to get to know them. I live north of Crestview....so my riding takes me up into GA and north AL for a real road.

I rode up Tues. and returned today. Met an old riding buddy and camped north of town. Swapped a few lies around camp fires. One rider said he had frost on his bike this morning. I was surprised to see quite a few campers arriving in the campground on Weds. Still, not close to what it was several years ago.

Attended the International Motorcycle Show Weds. downtown at the convention center. Everyone said it was small version of the regular shows that went around the country, but glad I went. Main street was full when we rode though. Stopped by BMW and the Helmet Shop on the way to the track.

I thought the new Honda 700 had a good riding position, but the saddle bags were small and odd looking. The new 1200 VFR looked sharp, but toooo much forward lean riding positon for me. Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Can Am were giving demo rides. Suzuki was a no show. No BMW demo rides either.

They have a new short flat track built just over the west end of the big race track in the parking lot. I didn't attend, but rode by.

The new flat tack is great, but the temporary seating sucks. There was lots of three wide racing, not follow the leader like out at the stadium in years past. It was cool to walk up on top of turn one banking and watch the supersport bikes fly by under the lights on the speedway.

I had business in Jax. Thursday and drove down in the afternoon. I thought it was jam packed and mostly with Harleys. I felt a little out of place with my FJR hat. Walked around the Rossmeyer Harley Dealership and visited the many booths scattered around. Thousands of riders. I never made it to the beach area. Didn't have to. Plenty of things to see on the main drag leading into town. Again, the Harley riders were 9 to 1 to everthing else. I'll try to post some pics.