Approves Bill Allowing Motorcycles to Run Red Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..do magnets work or not then?
Magnets are the equivalent of adding the same mass of ferrous metal down low; the magnetic field does very close to zero. Magnets are to tripping lights as copper bracelets are to managing arthritis; if you believe, then it works.

The traffic light controllers have a pre-programmed time delay between when the light is triggered and when the actual light change takes place. Some times a left turning car from the opposite direction will have already tripped the light before you pull into the loop. These two factors can make it seem like putting the center stand down or a strong neodymium magnet has initiated the triggering. In any case, the size of the vehicle does not determine when the light changes, it is a delay set by the software.

If you approach an intersection which has a rectangular box cut in the pavement (Dipole loop) you will have the best chance of triggering the light if you pull up with both wheels aligned with either the right or left long side of the rectangle. If the intersection has a rectangular box with a third cut right up the center (Quadrupole loop) place both wheels directly on the center cut. There are no guarantees, if the sensing loop is broken or out of adjustment there is almost nothing that a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle can do to trip the light, no matter how clever the rider is or how well advertised the Light Tripping gizmo may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll +1 on the magnets not working. Most jurisdictions have a clause about dealing with malfunctioning traffic lights as if they were a 4-way stop. Incumbent on the rider is due dilligence to be sure it's not simply bad timing. In most areas, waiting 2 or 3 full cycles of the lights and still not getting a green is plenty to make your case.

Got pulled over for this once, too. Explained to the officer that I'd waited for the light. He said he begged to differ, and asked how long I'd waited. (Several minutes.) He went back, ran my license... then let me go with a verbal warning, and suggested I wait a little longer, or use the other building exit from then on.

This is a frustrating problem, with these light, aluminum-framed bikes.

...The traffic light controllers have a pre-programmed time delay between when the light is triggered and when the actual light change takes place. Some times a left turning car from the opposite direction will have already tripped the light before you pull into the loop. These two factors can make it seem like putting the center stand down or a strong neodymium magnet has initiated the triggering.

I'm not into bracelets...but I have some particular intersections that have left me stranded before waiting for a left turn or a green light, atleast one light change cycle...till I back up and take a right turn and then a U-eee to end up in the direction I want to go.

Since pushing the centerstand down, I have not been stranded at that intersection. Of course, it is possible that they might have adjusted the sensitivity of the loops at the very same time ...but to have had that particular and other intersections suddenly be receptive to an action I just started making a couple years ago seems to be statistically improbable.

BTW, I'm not into miracle bracelets, freakonomics, or stuff I can't reason out (I are an engineer)...but when my mom got terminal cancer 15 years ago, she got pretty bad...near death in the spring, and took a "last shot" at some sort of "voodoo/alternative" medicine down in Mexico for a few weeks. She did end up dying...but 14 months after diagnosis...and not three. After she got "better" and back from her Mexico experience, she had a great last summer visiting with friends and family before wilting in the fall and dying in November.

I don't always understand why something works...but that doesn't keep me from using the radio, TV, computer... :)

Sorry for the wandering off-topic and into the next county.

Oklahoma passed the same law last year and it went into effect in January. They also passed the "California Motorcycle Codes" essentially making riding the white lines and generally riding like a dumbass acceptable and legal. I agree wholeheartedly on the red lights but not so much on the lane splitting. OK drivers are literally one step above being asked to ride the short bus and wear hockey helmets all the time(no offense intended, just trying to lighten the mood)! Shit starts to fall outta the sky here and all the cagers start to run into each other and just generally forget how to drive and the rules of the road! Just the other day we had some really good spring rain going on and I saw a dude driving down the middle of a one way street going the wrong direction! Its ridiculous! I fear for my life in the wet seasons in Oklahoma!!

Oklahoma passed the same law last year and it went into effect in January. They also passed the "California Motorcycle Codes" essentially making riding the white lines and generally riding like a dumbass acceptable and legal. I agree wholeheartedly on the red lights but not so much on the lane splitting. OK drivers are literally one step above being asked to ride the short bus and wear hockey helmets all the time(no offense intended, just trying to lighten the mood)! Shit starts to fall outta the sky here and all the cagers start to run into each other and just generally forget how to drive and the rules of the road! Just the other day we had some really good spring rain going on and I saw a dude driving down the middle of a one way street going the wrong direction! Its ridiculous! I fear for my life in the wet seasons in Oklahoma!!
Hey, Collin, I thought this was great news. I'd love to see legality of splitting spread to other states--every state. Naturally, and especially when it's first legalized, you'd have to be vewy vewy careful. But still, done right, it's a great benefit to the rider IMHO. BUT--I tried Googling "California Motor Codes Oklahoma" and didn't see any applicable links.

So am I understand you right, that it now is legal to split lanes in OK? Can you post a link or a reference? And, you know, be careful and all. Thanks.

I'll crack open the OSCN site when I get home later and post up the MV codes and links to the state court network site. I am really excited about that too, however there are two schools of thought on motorcycles in OK. The first is the only real motorcycle is one that converts air and fuel into noise without the side effect of power, and the other one is the balls to the wall sportbike/stunter group. The cruiser guys could honestly care less, and the fools are going to end up dropping like flies when they start trying to split two big rigs, or one of our fabulous OK drivers in the rain goes batshit crazy and ends up side swiping the hell out of an innocent law abiding cyclist.

Just because lane splitting is legal in whatever jurisdiction doesn't mean you have to partake. Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean it should be illegal.

... I fear for my life in the wet seasons in Oklahoma!!
That's funny. Back when I was 21, living in Bethany, OK I had to commute to Doyle Willis Landscaping on the north side of town, next to the Broadway Extension. In the winter time we did commercial snow removal...as planting trees in the winter doesn't always turn out so well. ;) I only had a motorcycle for transport to work.

So one winter day, I get called in to work...4 inches of snow on the ground that we need to clear at some corporate offices. None of the streets are plowed, because in Oklahoma, the public works department (or the budget) has decreed that it shall not snow in wintertime. I'm on the Broadway extension heading north with people gawking...it was a riot getting their reactions. :lol:

They did stay clear of me...so maybe things were saner back in 1980...naw, they had their meth-heads back then as well. :rolleyes:

Totally with Phroenips on this. It's available to riders in California as a traffic-coping option. It ain't mandatory.

I suppose if it were abused too much, and the wilder youngsters started getting plowed over regularly, the public would start to clamor for it to be outlawed, but it doesn't seem to happen here. And believe me, Ultimateanswer, Cali has its balls-to-the-wall bozos too. More than Oklahoma, I'm guessing. They usually do seem to make it where they're going (although splitting lanes at speed can definitely trigger a serious ticket--like reckless driving. If they catch 'em, of course.) :)

From the CHP website: Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles? Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner. It's not anywhere in the vehicle code. So, not being prohibited, it's allowed. And this sentence is all the "official" comment you'll find about it. Just a matter of policy and officers' discretion.

Or, you could go to Bangkok. I understand they do it there, too.

300px-Motorcyclists_lane_splitting_in_Bangkok%2C_Thailand.jpg

I'll crack open the OSCN site when I get home later and post up the MV codes and links to the state court network site. I am really excited about that too, however there are two schools of thought on motorcycles in OK. The first is the only real motorcycle is one that converts air and fuel into noise without the side effect of power, and the other one is the balls to the wall sportbike/stunter group. The cruiser guys could honestly care less, and the fools are going to end up dropping like flies when they start trying to split two big rigs, or one of our fabulous OK drivers in the rain goes batshit crazy and ends up side swiping the hell out of an innocent law abiding cyclist.
This is becoming a bit of a thread jack but any update on this? Possibly start a new thread is it's true?

Ride your ride. Screw the law!

I ride to survive. Common sense is my law.

I may get a speeding ticket sometime, but not yet, and I'm due.

I don't have any traffic anywhere near me to have to deal with. But when in a big town, I treat cars with respect.

It seems crazy to try an weave in an out of cars to gain a couple of minutes...

Especially when they could turn their wheel a bit and kill you.

Phuck em. Pull over an take a break....

Common sense will keep you breathing longer than laws....

And get off my lawn!!!!

OK back on topic....

There's one friggen light not to far from the shop here that does not see bikes. Hasn't since they installed it.

Everybody I know that rides, just takes a right turn (which is legal in AR after stop) and makes a U turn 50 yards down the road.

No biggie...

I don't have any traffic anywhere near me to have to deal with. But when in a big town, I treat cars with respect.

And get off my lawn!!!!

OK back on topic....

There's one friggen light not to far from the shop here that does not see bikes. Hasn't since they installed it.

Everybody I know that rides, just takes a right turn (which is legal in AR after stop) and makes a U turn 50 yards down the road.

No biggie...
Off your meds Russ?

And get off my lawn!!!!

OK back on topic....

No biggie...
Off your meds Russ?
Phuck you ya damn Texican....

:biteme:

edit...

Is that rude?

OK. I may have had a drink...

Seriously.

Don't run a red light.

If ya sit too long, make a right turn an a u trn.

I dare ya!

Jackie still loves me...

:)

BTW, I'm not into miracle bracelets, freakonomics, or stuff I can't reason out (I are an engineer)...but when my mom got terminal cancer 15 years ago, she got pretty bad...near death in the spring, and took a "last shot" at some sort of "voodoo/alternative" medicine down in Mexico for a few weeks. She did end up dying...but 14 months after diagnosis...and not three. After she got "better" and back from her Mexico experience, she had a great last summer visiting with friends and family before wilting in the fall and dying in November.
You're probably already aware of this, Mark, but the human mind is an incredibly powerful thing in our lives and can directly influence your health, in both a positive and a negative way. It is definitely possible to make yourself ill when you have negative thoughts, anxieties or experiences, and just the opposite is true too. To a certain extend, you can make yourself well.

Some folks (like distance runners) like to joke that "pain is just in your mind", but they are actually 100% correct. Actually, everything that we sense is. Just a few tiny electrical signals going from sensors to receptors in your brain. If one can just filter those signals, either consciously (like a meditating Yogi) or subconsciously (through positive thoughts) you can alter any of your perceptions.

Surgeons probe and intentionally (artificially) stimulate parts of a patient's brains with electrical signals (while they are still awake!!) and ask if they see, hear or smell things during operations to help determine if the tissue they want to mess with is connected to those functions. Disconnecting those same naturally occurring signal pathways is one way how we lose those senses.

It has been observed that the brain has the ability to shutdown neural pathways on its own as a protection mechanism. That is the mechanism behind going into shock. In many cases, the positive effects that can be achieved with placebos are as (or sometimes more) effective than chemical drugs because the go directly toward effecting those receptors in the brain.

As much as scientists understand about our inner workings there are many things that remain unexplained. IMO, that's a big part of what makes going through the life exercise worth the effort.

But a magnet still doesn't make an inductive loop trigger a green light. ;)