Attention scofflaws!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Hud

Just another blob of protoplasm using up your oxyg
Reaction score
Fellow motorcycle enthusiasts, you can now legally run red lights in Georgia: https://chronicle.augusta.com/news/government/2015-04-03/ga-lawmakers-approve-motorcycle-change

As a 35-year traffic engineer, I will hazard a guess that there are fewer that 50 traffic lights in this entire state that operate based on the weight of a vehicle. Most agencies use electromagnetic detectors or less-reliable video cameras, but the "don't weigh enough" language could have been interjected by a doofus Chronicle reporter rather than by a doofus state legislator.

My favorite line in the story: “You were sort of durned if you do and durned if you don’t,” he said [state Rep Alan Powell, R-Hartwell]. Yep, he said "durned".

And I am going on the record by stating my FJR, all 600-odd pounds of her (depending on whether I'm carrying my coffee thermos), is too light to trigger any and all red lights in the Peach State.

Y'all be careful out there. I might be running a red light near you.

99% of stop lights in Indiana will not change with just me at the light, while trying to turn left.

I'm an early morning rider and I wait until there are no cars and turn on red.

I believe current law says you have to wait thru one change and if it doesn't change on second try, you can go thru, once traffic is clear.

I believe current law says you have to wait thru one change and if it doesn't change on second try, you can go thru, once traffic is clear.
That is allowed in most states. Most of the lights in this area operate on the ground loops. They have a sensitivity setting and many are not set sensitive enough to pick up a motorcycle. There is one particular busy intersection(divided highway crossing) that will not pick up my motorcycle. Most of the time there is enough traffic to trip it, but if there are no other vehicles I just turn and double back just a short way up the road.

I push my center stand down to get more metal near the loop. Only two times that has not worked. Learned that trick here on the Forum.

99% of stop lights in Indiana will not change with just me at the light, while trying to turn left.I'm an early morning rider and I wait until there are no cars and turn on red.

So you're the one!
not_i.gif

I push my center stand down to get more metal near the loop. Only two times that has not worked. Learned that trick here on the Forum.
I will have to try that, but not all the intersections show indication of where the ground loop is. We have one where I work for the exit gate and had to adjust it to pick up my motorcycle. I haven't contacted VDOT about the intersections that I have trouble with locally and should. If they know they will adjust the sensitivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Colorado... Traffic Code 42-4-612:
42-4-612. When signals are inoperative or malfunctioning.
(1) Whenever a driver approaches an intersection and faces a traffic control signal which is inoperative or which remains on steady red or steady yellow during several time cycles, the rules controlling entrance to a through street or highway from a stop street or highway, as provided under section 42-4-703, shall apply until a police officer assumes control of traffic or until normal operation is resumed. In the event that any traffic control signal at a place other than an intersection should cease to operate or should malfunction as set forth in this section, drivers may proceed through the inoperative or malfunctioning signal only with caution, as if the signal were one of flashing yellow.

Yet, tickets are routinely written for doing so--a fellow ST rider was tagged for finally passing through an inoperative steady red light near my home--the LEO was waiting in an obscure place watching. In Jefferson County (where I live), they even have the fines listed for doing so: Class A Traffic Infraciton $70 fine plus $10 surcharge, found here: https://jeffco.us/county-manager/documents/regulations-documents/motor-vehicles-documents/traffic-code-ordinance

The confusing text "...at a place other than an intersection...", addressing traffic control lights such as at crosswalks or at fire stations (where there is no intersection), seems to be interpreted by some agencies as the ONLY location that one can proceed through a steady/inoperative red light.

In Colorado... Traffic Code 42-4-612:42-4-612. When signals are inoperative or malfunctioning.

(1) Whenever a driver approaches an intersection and faces a traffic control signal which is inoperative or which remains on steady red or steady yellow during several time cycles, the rules controlling entrance to a through street or highway from a stop street or highway, as provided under section 42-4-703, shall apply until a police officer assumes control of traffic or until normal operation is resumed. In the event that any traffic control signal at a place other than an intersection should cease to operate or should malfunction as set forth in this section, drivers may proceed through the inoperative or malfunctioning signal only with caution, as if the signal were one of flashing yellow.

Yet, tickets are routinely written for doing so--a fellow ST rider was tagged for finally passing through an inoperative steady red light near my home--the LEO was waiting in an obscure place watching. In Jefferson County (where I live), they even have the fines listed for doing so: Class A Traffic Infraciton $70 fine plus $10 surcharge, found here: https://jeffco.us/county-manager/documents/regulations-documents/motor-vehicles-documents/traffic-code-ordinance

The confusing text "...at a place other than an intersection...", addressing traffic control lights such as at crosswalks or at fire stations (where there is no intersection), seems to be interpreted by some agencies as the ONLY location that one can proceed through a steady/inoperative red light.
That doesn't sound right. The words clearly make the distinction that for crosswalks and etc. a driver would have to proceed with caution rather than simply proceeding with the usual wild abandon.
omg2.gif

In Ontario Canada you can't go through a red light if your bike won't trip the sensor.

My wife got stopped after making a left on red and the cop said it's better to make a right then U turn back the way you want to go.

Oh ya...that's WAY safer!

In North Carolina our red light running law specifies it has to be an inductive loop sensor & you have to wait 3 minutes then it's a defensible position to proceed with caution as if it were a non-light intersection with you facing a stop sign. We have no specified number of light cycles you have to wait, just time. Those words, "defensible position" doesn't mean you can run the light and always automatically always get away with it. It means the LEO can still cite you and you can go to traffic court and use this non-operation as a defense. It worked for me b/c:

- I was familiar with the law (I posted here somewhere verbatim when it passed) and brought a copy of it with me to court;

- I took a notarized photo of the dash instruments to court, clearly showing the clock, demonstrating that the device to measure the time constraint was readily available;

- the LEO could not say with certainly how long I waited, just that "it was some amount of time, he didn't go immediately upon reaching the intersection";

- I sent an email and received a reply (printed them both for the judge) to/from the county DOT Dept demonstrating that I reported the problem and that they "would adjust it, thanks for the info, and let us know if you have any more problems".

The judge appeared impressed, particularly with the last item, and dismissed the ticket. Seems like a lot of trouble including missing a day of work but when you factor in the possible increased insurance premium for running a red light there's a huge savings in the end.

To set the record straight:

Governor (whatever his name is) vetoed this or somehow got it repealed. Do not run red lights. It's dangerous (very) and illegal (still).

In Ontario Canada you can't go through a red light if your bike won't trip the sensor.My wife got stopped after making a left on red and the cop said it's better to make a right then U turn back the way you want to go.

Yes you can, the amendment to the law was ratified last year. Google it.

oh darn, i was headed to georgia to run me some reds
You still can. From West Virginnie to Florida red lights are optional on early Sunday mornings. Most times we just glance around and roll on. Alabammie and Ark-and-saw may be included in there too but I'm not sure.

When I lived in GA it was legal to run red lights at anytime. The reading comprehension level in the state was so poor that the legislature felt folks could not tell the difference between Red and Green.

I never understood the language about waiting through one change of the lights.

HOW DO YOU WAIT THROUGH ONE CHANGE IF IT DON'T FUKIN CHANGE?!??!?!?!?!?

There are about 6 lights in town that I KNOW do not sense my motorcycle. I treat all of them as stop signs if I'm alone at the intersection, no waiting. Stop, look, proceed when clear. A couple of those lights it even depends which lane I'm in, so i've learned to use the lane that works because I'm just exactly asshole enough to make 6 other cars stop just as they arrive at the intersection so I can get my own self across.

Walt for shit sakes!! That was neither Politically Correct nor Sensitive you bastage!

You wait until ya die for the light to change> That stunt about making 6 cars stop is dam awful rude!

Still on your periods?.......just run the damn light.......iffn you don't......you turn into bust.

In Ontario Canada you can't go through a red light if your bike won't trip the sensor.My wife got stopped after making a left on red and the cop said it's better to make a right then U turn back the way you want to go.

Yes you can, the amendment to the law was ratified last year. Google it.
Thanks for the update.

Tried Google but my search strings didn't get any hits.