Are all 2006's ABS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBones

Reaction score
Been seriously thinking about trading in my Honda ST1300 for the much thought about FJR. Just spotted a used mint condition blue '06 at my Honda dealer.

I wasn't sure if it was ABS or not, which I'd like to have. Are they all ABS that model yr?

The asking price was $11,999, and it had about 3,000 miles, looked to be in near perfect condition, not even broken in.

My ST is a 2005 with ABS, also with about 3,000 miles. What do you think of that pricing for the FJR, and what might be a fair deal between the 2 bikes?

My biggest fears, being a long-time Honda guy, plus coming off a GL1800 for 4 years, and a GL1500 for a couple years prior to that, is that the vibration of the FJR might get to me. I have been spoiled by the silky smoothness of those 3 Hondas, including my present ST.

My biggest complaint with my ST is the heat cooking my legs and feet. How effectively did Yamaha remedy THEIR heat problem with the 2006 mod's??

Many thanks for any and all comments!

Bones

All 2006 models are equipped with ABS. As for the heat issue, my 2005 is equipped with all the popular heat fixes including gutted cats and it made a world of difference. Having spent time on my friend's 2006 I can tell you that the heat management is better than my modified '05 to the point where it is no longer an issue (in my opinion). Having not spent much time on an ST1300, I can only tell you I didn't think it was noticeably smoother, but would probably be more comfortable on long trips. I think the FJR is far more fun though, as it is lighter and more flickable and more responsive power wise. Price- wise I couldn't tell if that's good, but I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be weighing in soon.

you should be able to get it down to $11.4k.

someone here said the new '07 went for the same amout at D&H shop somewhere....but i prefer blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
What vibration?

Seriously, haven't been on an ST, so I couldn't compare the two. I guess it depends on your frame of reference.

Heat hasn't bothered me on my '06, except in slow (<25 mph) moving traffic on 80F+ days. Then I feel it on my left shin, but you can move your foot out of the airstream on the left peg. This is a motorcycle, after all, it's not as bad as some air cooled engines I've sat on. And all '06's are ABS.

Not that any dealer would take the offer, but I'd start with an offer of an even swap plus $500. You would be getting the better end of the bargain.

I've ridden with a fellow on an ST. It's a good bike. But I wouldn't trade my FJR.

Having had an gl1800 and an st1300 I love the fjr1300. One of my objectiions to the goldwing was it is so smooth it feels like an electric motor. The heat was the killer on the st. You would be giving up the 3 yr warranty on the honda for the 1 year. I found putting the heli triple clamp and power commander on the fjr really maximized it as a major major great bike. good luck with your desicion. Everett

If you want an answer on price you need to tell us where you are located, ie. Cali is more expensive (except for TWN's tires for some reason). I bought my '06 new in PA for less than you are looking at used, so it is possible to do better. Is it worth it to you to wait to find the ultimate bargain?

Been seriously thinking about trading in my Honda ST1300 for the much thought about FJR. Just spotted a used mint condition blue '06 at my Honda dealer.I wasn't sure if it was ABS or not, which I'd like to have. Are they all ABS that model yr?

The asking price was $11,999, and it had about 3,000 miles, looked to be in near perfect condition, not even broken in.

My ST is a 2005 with ABS, also with about 3,000 miles. What do you think of that pricing for the FJR, and what might be a fair deal between the 2 bikes?

My biggest fears, being a long-time Honda guy, plus coming off a GL1800 for 4 years, and a GL1500 for a couple years prior to that, is that the vibration of the FJR might get to me. I have been spoiled by the silky smoothness of those 3 Hondas, including my present ST.

My biggest complaint with my ST is the heat cooking my legs and feet. How effectively did Yamaha remedy THEIR heat problem with the 2006 mod's??

Many thanks for any and all comments!

Bones
prices seems a bit high for a used bike -

as for heat -- the FJR is cooler than your ST

as for vibration - the GL is definitely smoother than the FJR - the ST is marginally smoother than the FJR. I think there is a little more vibration in the foot pegs and handle bars, but nothing objectionable. The ST is smoothER.... not Way smoother or lots smoother.

I think the weather protection is a bit better on the ST and the bike is quieter - both road noise and wind noise.

FJR is way more fun - lighter, more powerful and a hoot.

I love the ST - I have almost bought one on numerous opportunities, but always passed. My complaint was that it was too damned quiet and felt more like a sewing machine than a motorcycle. Completely functional - completely competent - great piece of engineering and had that great Honda build quality and a Honda motor, but (and I hate to say this) but no soul.

The FJR has soul !!

Having had an gl1800 and an st1300 I love the fjr1300. One of my objectiions to the goldwing was it is so smooth it feels like an electric motor. The heat was the killer on the st. You would be giving up the 3 yr warranty on the honda for the 1 year. I found putting the heli triple clamp and power commander on the fjr really maximized it as a major major great bike. good luck with your desicion. Everett

Thanks tons for all the answers so far guys. I live in New Jersey, not too far from PA. Where was the PA dealer you got yours from, and would you rcommend them?

I'm heading to Americade in June and will have opportunity to test ride pretty much any bike, including the FJR, so waiting til then and then shopping carefully would have its merits. The big positive of this particular bike is its being sold at a Honda dealer I've been a customer for for years, and they always give outrageously good deals on trade-ins. Haven't even begun to actually talk with them about #'s, but know they would beat most other dealers on a trade-in value by $1-2,000 . . . or at least that's what happened on my last 2 trade-ins.

Bones

MSRP was $13,499

What was MSRP on the ST?

If your dealer is THAT good. try for an even swap. The MOST he prob gave the Trader was $10,500

MSRP was $13,499

What was MSRP on the ST?

If your dealer is THAT good. try for an even swap. The MOST he prob gave the Trader was $10,500

The 2005 ST1300ABS was $15,100 I believe, and he sold it to me for 500 or so less than that, plus gave me about $2,000 more on the trade of my GL1800 than other dealers would.

Hey Bones,

Since the FJR is a used bike, and since you are a good customer and seem like a serious buyer, wouldn't he let you take it for a little spin down the road? :cold:

In the dead of summer, my shins get warm, but thats the only complaint about the heat that I have. I seriously considered the ST as well. I read all that I could on the two bikes for a few months last year. Everything I read, the new FJR was just a nose ahead of the ST.

Good luck on your decision. :D

I think the price the dealer is charging is too high for the 06'. I just picked up my 07" yesterday and I got it for $12,250.00 here in Salt Lake.

Purchased private Pre-owned 06 A with 6200 miles for an even $10K. Dealer is typically high. He has room to move. Make him an offer.

06FJR_Left_side.jpg