Armed Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not if you're shooting from a moving pickup on the beach... :D   :D
The pickup in that photo of us wasn't very close to any beaches.... :lol:

That was taken on the Playa in the Black Rock Desert (northwest Nevada) last September.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not if you're shooting from a moving pickup on the beach... :D   :D
The pickup in that photo of us wasn't very close to any beaches.... :lol:

That was taken on the Playa in the Black Rock Desert (northwest Nevada) last September.
Yep, my error. I think I was focused on the Barbie Doll in obvious distress and didn't look closely at the background... ;)

After reading this thread I had a look at the websites of a few gun manufacturers. Knowing nothing about guns I was surprised to see that often the revolvers are more expensive than the pistols. In my mind the revolver is old technology (see cowboy movies :) ) So what are the pros and cons of revolvers vs pistols?

gypsy

After reading this thread I had a look at the websites of a few gun manufacturers. Knowing nothing about guns I was surprised to see that often the revolvers are more expensive than the pistols. In my mind the revolver is old technology (see cowboy movies :) ) So what are the pros and cons of revolvers vs pistols?
gypsy
Simply put:

Pros:

Revolvers cannot be beat for reliability and typically more accurate but that varies by mfg comparison.- Pull the trigger it goes boom.

Con: Most revolvers max at 6 rds some may go to 9rds but that would be in a .22 cal. Auto's have a higher capacity depending on caliber an mfg. anywhere from 6-17 rounds. Get an extended mag an who knows, I have a 30 round clip for my 9mm.

I have 2 revolvers .357 a snubby Ruger SP101 (great for conceal or backup leg weapon), a Ruger .357 GP100 (good for shooting bowling pins at 100yds).

3 Semi auto's a Desert Eagle .357 (very picky on what ammo it will feed reliably) But good for hunting as are the other .357's, Two 9mm's a Brownig Hi-Power (my dad would not give me his... an original made in Belgum) and a Browning clone a FEG. The FEG is not as accurate (maybe its the shooter) as the original it will put 10 shots in 5 inches at 25 yds. But for aTravel gun ($200) that would upset me TOO much if confiscated vs one of the others it will do its job just fine.

I have one more item on my wish list and that is a Sig P220 45acp.

Those are the short guns.

P.S. Don't enter my house un-invited :D

Look up Uncle Mike's Sidekick line of holsters. If you go into their law enforcement section you can find fanny packs with quick access areas designed for concealed carry. Fanny pack on left hip with hand grip facing the rear makes for fairly easy left handed draws. Just don't forget to practice "doing it all" left handed or you ..."might even shoot yourself"

Mine works fine and it makes it easy to find my wallet etc (seperate zippered areas) regardless what riding clothes I have on since they are always in the same place.

that some sicko bastard BSMD guy tied up
TWN:

Would that be a bull shitting medical doctor? :haha:

Edit added: Ignacio: I grew up in Vermont then moved to Virginia, Ya'll look like any of the rednecks I've had the pleasure of partying with in my sometimes off color history. :assasin: Suprised to see these pics resurface...and sorry to hear about the Senatorship loss... :eek:

Toophast

is this concealed ????

carryconcealed4xr.jpg

foto from gunmed

gypsy
In this case, you cant' say old vs new tcchnology...

just different ways of doing the same thing...

like stick shift vs automatic...

I think most of use here prefer stick shift bikes to autos.... even tho the auto is brand new technology...

A revolver is easier for most people to shoot.

Pistols take a bit more practice...

I prefer pistols because i used to shoot competetion...

Most revolvers over .22 cal, the grips are just too big for my hands...

Mary

Good topic.

Most people that carry while riding around here use the fanny pack,but I don't really like it,it's too obvious.Law around my neck of the woods sez' gun has to be concealed,but people like to show,most of the time.I've seen many people carrying mexican style while riding,ussually on the smal of the back.Very bad idea if you fall... :rolleyes:

I have yet to renew my CCW,it's been light years since I hadn't carry,but I do have some toys to choose.My obvious choice would be my Beretta 92...lot'z of firepower,and no concealment problem since we motorcyclist use jackets all the time(it's very strange to see someone on a jacket in 90F!!)

Now,I dont really think there's a need to do drills to shoot while riding,the posibilitites of a car to bike shootout are not only as remote as an object falling from the sky hitting you,but also,shooting back would not be your best option,IMHO.You should use all your attention to actually evade and escape the threat,using you power and handling in the ultimet way,a nice way to find how much top end does an FJR has.Most definitly you are an easier target while trying to draw and shoot,and very lucky if you not fall, :rolleyes: so my option if getting shot at would be to evade.

Now if I were into drive-by shootings,I'd take my Open class Witness Gold Team super .38 with Gilmore Optical sight and do some moving steel challenge... :D

Only carry when headed to shooting range. Had conversation w/ fellow rider the other day about legality in VA. Does anyone know law about carrying in VA?

sjarr7, check page 3 ,

looking forward to the ride this weekend ,, riding through the beautiful countryside of the Old Dominion ,, weather looks great !!!

BTW you do not have to be carrying a firearm to be armed ,,,,

my tactical Dirk is quite effective !!

For those supporters of second amendment rights and living in states with concealed carry permits, you can go to www.packing.org to find out all the other states that have reciprical agreements with your states carry permit and allow you to legally carry in their state. I always check this site for the most up to date information as the laws do change from time to time.

Have been a "victim" of unwanted "special attention", don't plan to ever fall into that catagory again!

As I mentioned in an earlier post I want to shoot some guns in Reno...anyone got an Uzi? That said there is a lot of talk about folks riding to Canada this summer. Be aware that you can't bring a handgun into Canada.

When you carry something so frequently you sometimes even forget you have it. I remember the time I came from Amsterdam forgetting I had a bag of.....oh nevermind! :)

My wife just looked over my shoulder and told me that Uzi's really aren't that great I should try something that is more fun. Since she spent 2 years in the Israeli army as a trained assassin, or secretary I forget which, she had a lot of opportunity to try out different weapons.

gypsy

As I mentioned in an earlier post I want to shoot some guns in Reno...anyone got an Uzi? That said there is a lot of talk about folks riding to Canada this summer. Be aware that you can't bring a handgun into Canada.
When you carry something so frequently you sometimes even forget you have it. I remember the time I came from Amsterdam forgetting I had a bag of.....oh nevermind! :)

My wife just looked over my shoulder and told me that Uzi's really aren't that great I should try something that is more fun. Since she spent 2 years in the Israeli army as a trained assassin, or secretary I forget which, she had a lot of opportunity to try out different weapons.

gypsy
As I recall, Paul McCartney used to have the problem of forgetting the bag of .... but always blamed it on Linda.

All of the best secretarys are also trained assassins. Don't forget it. :assasin:

...a perenial thread topic designed, I'm sure, to reel in some strong opinions!
My response: "I'm not saying..."
Sick Dog probably only carries in Grand Rapids (only on Divison st). :D

If ya have to ask when you carry then you shouldn't, right?

Just assume I am at all times.

(Kimber Pro Carry Stainless .45 is my copilot.)

Moby - I just looked up the Kimber, good looking pistol. Am I right in "assuming" it's basically an M1911A1 upgraded, etc and that it's still recoil operated, 7 rds in mag?

hmmm....I guezz I have to practice some "El Presidente" drill while on the move...maybe left handed?

better yet I'll teach my g/f to draw and shoot while I drive

:beee:

Most people don't understand it is not carrying a weapon that is going to save your life as much as risking your life if you have one on you and don't know how to use it properly. If you are not trained in the use of handgun combat, chances are you will have your weapon taken away from you before you can use it on your attacker.

What's the risk of having a handgun on you, now your attacker have a handgun too if he takes it away from you.

Carrying a handgun is like owning a jet figther, it's great if you know how to use it under stressful condition, if not, chances are you will not live through it.

I highly recommend for anyone that is considering carrying a handgun to pratice with it once a month if not more, take a handgun combat class and know what to do with your handgun under stressful condition if it missfires or jams.

Understanding the safe distant your attacker needs to be for you to safely draw your weapon and discharge it is also critical.

We pratice handgun take away, and an instructor can take a handgun away from a student if he is less then 10-20 feet away which is pretty far if you think about it, you will not be able to draw your weapon fast enough to sucessfully aim/point and fire before your attacker is on top of you taking the gun away from you.

I carry when I ride, but I also understand that if I need to pull my weapon, I better be able to justify it in court or I won't be riding my FJR much longer if I live through it.

You also better be willing to take someone life if you are going to carry, or else the life you may take maybe your own. ;)