asshat dealer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galxy5

galxy5
Reaction score
yes I am back !!!

last week I went to pick up my Roadliner ,, and this is what ensued ,,

got to the dealership at about noon 30 ,, and my Roadliner had not yet been built ,,

wait ,, wait ,, wait ,, finaly begin to sign the paperwork ,, at the end of the DMV stuff the sales manager comes in and asks me to sign this release form ,, I asked what was it for ,, he said ,,"" because your bike had crate damage ,, and we fixed it ,, you just need to sign off on it ""

I said stuttering "it had what???" reply "crate damage "

what kind of crate damage ?? ""ohh the front fender and tank were damaged ,, but we fixed it !!! ""

my reply was "and your just telling me this now?? "

ohh yeah ,, it's ok we fixed it !!!

my reply "no it's not ok " and why did you wait till now to tell me this ??

well it's ok ,, it's as good as new!!

no it's not ,, it's damaged !!

so this goes back and forth for a while ,, all the time I'm getting more pissed off

so I said to the sales manager ,, do you have another Roadliner in a crate??

he says yes a Midnight ,, I say ok !! I'll take that one ,, I do not want the damaged bike ,,

to make this shorter we went round and round for over an hour and a half

I refused the damaged bike ,, I'm paying for a new clean bike not a damaged fixed bike !!

so we get back in the office and now we have to do the deal all over again ,, now they want to give me less for my bike and more for the Midnight ,,

I am PISSED !!!

so I ask to talk to the owner ,, ohh he's not here !!

yeah?? then who is that standing in the showroom???

I walk out to him tell him what is going down ,, he looks me in the eye and says ,, well ,, the Midnight is more money ,, and you could just take the bike you had on order ,,

not once did they offer to give me a break on the price of the damaged bike ,, or make any sort of compensation ,, came down $800 on my bike that they were going to buy back at $9800 ( I paid 11,500 for it last May)

I did not make the deal ,, and next week I am taking delivery of a Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe $19,500

the Roadliner was $15,300

it just goes to show that you can't trust the dealer to do the right thing ,, ever

BTW I have written to Yamaha USA

keeping my FJR ,, sold my Bonni Chopper to my buddy that's been after it for several years ,, my Indian is going back to Peterson's World of Wheels in California and I will have a new bike in my garage ,,

BTW will never do business with this dealer ,, ever

Unreal . i really dont know how some people stay in business . there are so many stories to tell just in staten island alone . my grandfather told me along time ago use your local stores keep the money in the neighborhood. its a dam shame so many business people just want to plan rip us OFF and i am not going to give them my cash plan and simple . Good luck with the harley .

Gaixy, welcome back and congratulations on your new Softail Deluxe. Now how about putting Betti back on your avatar.

BTW will never do business with this dealer ,, ever
Hey you done good...Fuck 'em!!

I believe I would have done the same thing. We are in control of our money. They lost big time and may or may not care.

But what matters the most is that you are happy with the decision you had to make to send the message that needed to be sent!

Let us know how the HD works out for you.

I am glad you did not trash Yamaha over this. Many do and have.

The dealer you were dealing with absolutely sucks, right down to the owner!!!

I said stuttering "it had what???" reply "crate damage " what kind of crate damage ??  ""ohh the front fender and tank were damaged ,, but we fixed it !!! ""

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Could you please elaborate as to the dealer's means of "we fixed it"? Did they pull a brand new gas tank and front fender here? Or are we talking ball peen hammer, bondo, aerosol spray paint and hope the customer has bad eyesight?

Redirect: [no, I'm not a lawyer]

"It's as good as new" says that, no, not new parts. A tweaked fender can be straightened by hand. Much harder with a gas tank. But again, some elaboration could be helpful here.

You did the right thing. When my '05 FINALLY came in, my dealer called me at the end of the day, said he had good news and bad news. Good news was the bike was here, bad news was it had crate damage. I went to look it over. An idiot on a fork truck had punched the carton, dinged the tank, scratched the fairing, and scuffed one exhaust can. And then put it on the truck.

My dealer handled it completely differently than your guy. He gave me options. I could reject it and he'd work on getting another as soon as possible, or I could take it, and he'd get the parts on order. There was no fucking way I was waiting again. I had them prep it and order parts. Within two weeks the replacement parts were in, and the bike was better than new. The new tank had no stickers or decals on it at all. Exhaust can was never put on; it's still in the box. I had Holeshots on order long before the bike got here. Body plastic was replaced, and presto, no more damage. It was only cosmetic. We inspected the bike very carefully before I signed the papers.

The big difference was in how they handled it. If I had rejected the bike, there would have been no problems or repercussions. It was my choice, and I was OK with it then, and still am today. Hell, I've bought my last four bikes there, plus I've sent them other buyers. They gave me a hell of a good deal on my '05 non-ABS: $10,800 before TT&L.

Overall, a pretty good dealership. Unfortunately, these can be tough to find.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.Could you please elaborate as to the dealer's means of "we fixed it"? Did they pull a brand new gas tank and front fender here? Or are we talking ball peen hammer, bondo, aerosol spray paint and hope the customer has bad eyesight?

Redirect: [no, I'm not a lawyer]

"It's as good as new" says that, no, not new parts. A tweaked fender can be straightened by hand. Much harder with a gas tank. But again, some elaboration could be helpful here.
I agree. Be nice to know HOW they made the bike "good as new" and what the damage was. If they swapped out banged up parts with new parts, I think I would have done the deal. If they massaged the f'd parts, I woulda walked. Or at least tried to get them to order replacement parts like red2kcbr's dealer did.

Don't blame you for walking. Doesn't sound like the dealer did the right thing at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sad part is, they'll probably sell it to someone else as a brand new bike, and never mention that it was damaged...

Agree to walking if it doesn't feel right. When the money is still in your pocket, you are always in complete control of a stealer.

Just curious why you switched to the Harley, is the Roadliner also a PDP only model?

...When the money is still in your pocket, you are  always in complete control of a ...
Didn't somebody post somewhere that they had just paid off the dealer for his bike and it hadn't arrived yet?

What would your dealer have done for you if it was ALREADY paid for?

Oh, BTW, welcome back!

You did the right thing. When my '05 FINALLY came in, my dealer called me at the end of the day, said he had good news and bad news. Good news was the bike was here, bad news was it had crate damage. I went to look it over. An idiot on a fork truck had punched the carton, dinged the tank, scratched the fairing, and scuffed one exhaust can. And then put it on the truck.
My dealer handled it completely differently than your guy. He gave me options. I could reject it and he'd work on getting another as soon as possible, or I could take it, and he'd get the parts on order. There was no fucking way I was waiting again. I had them prep it and order parts. Within two weeks the replacement parts were in, and the bike was better than new. The new tank had no stickers or decals on it at all. Exhaust can was never put on; it's still in the box. I had Holeshots on order long before the bike got here. Body plastic was replaced, and presto, no more damage. It was only cosmetic. We inspected the bike very carefully before I signed the papers.

The big difference was in how they handled it. If I had rejected the bike, there would have been no problems or repercussions. It was my choice, and I was OK with it then, and still am today. Hell, I've bought my last four bikes there, plus I've sent them other buyers. They gave me a hell of a good deal on my '05 non-ABS: $10,800 before TT&L.

Overall, a pretty good dealership. Unfortunately, these can be tough to find.
Which dealer?

I think this happens frequently with cars, although the dealer doesn't tell you. I bought a new truck several years ago and when it came in it a had a tiny dent in it. The sales guy said they would get it fixed right away. I was worried that they would bondo the thing and I would end up with a fix that only lasted a few years. Called my brother who did bodywork for a living and asked him what he thought about buying a new vehicle that had bodywork done on it. He said it happens all the time - car gets dinged in the lot, take it to the bodyshop, back on the lot as a brand new car. Not condoning it, but it happens.

ok,,

in responce to some of you wanting to know the down and dirty ,,

the damage was to the top of the front fender ,, something had been dropped on it and it had a flatspot and cracked paint ,, the tank had damage to the right side ,, a dimple about 3 inches in dia ,, I got this info from the parts guy ,, they "fixed it " in house ,, meaning hammering out the fender and spot painting ,, pulling the tank dimple by a dent guy ,, spot painting ,,

do you understand why I walked ???

not only because of the damage ,, but they also tried to pass it off to me and slip the damage waiver by me ,,

I live in Roanoke Va. you figure it out ,,

BTW I did not slam Yamaha because it was not their fault !! shipping damage happens

it was the dealer that was playing games !!

if they had said to me ,, the bike was damaged and we have repaired it and we will give you a break on the price if you will accept it ,, I might have been riding it today instead of my new Lava Red Deluxe !! that was delivered in a shipping crate to my door from Barnett HD in El Paso TX

in Virginia any bike/car/truck/van that has been repaired by the dealer prior to sale must have a damage waiver signed by the new owner !!

for instance ,, my buddy just bought a new Dodge Daytona Ram 1500 ,, it had hail damage that was fixed by the dealer ,, he knew it when he looked at it in the lot ,, he signed the waiver and got a good deal on it ,, $2000 of the sticker and then dealt it down a bit more ,, an honest deal ,, in some cases they get a branded title ,, depending on the amount of damage ,,