At Long Last - New Paint Job is Finished!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
:yahoo: So I finally got the '04 reassembled after getting the repainted parts back from the painter. We have had an early spring and I would have liked to get it out sooner, but work and travel have gotten in the way.

Now it's finally back together and I am really pleased with the results. I know - I'll hear from a few of you on my choice of a 'non-color' (black), but if you take a look at my 'fleet' in the background of at least one of the shots, you'll notice it isn't the first time I have chosen black. Personal preference - to each his own, yadda yadda.

The only thing remaining is to reattach the tuning fork logo stickers on the gas tank. I had toyed with the idea of adding some graphics, but for the time being, I like the simple, clean appearance that it has right now. Hope you like it too.

BTW - I took each of my two oldest sons out for shakedown rides last night, and they both agree that black is the fastest color :p

I uploaded a bunch of photos and created a 'Photosynth' of them. It is a pretty neat tool that lets you do 360 degree views, etc. and it is interactive. Give it a look here:

'04 FJR Photosynth

Here are a few highlight shots:

Right_side.JPG

Right_side.JPG

Front.JPG

Rear_with_trunk.JPG

Cockpit.JPG

See you on down the road!

"Black's the fastest color"...that's a hoot. So what got painted in the end besides the tank?

Curious,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
"Black's the fastest color"...that's a hoot. So what got painted in the end besides the tank?
Curious,

W2
All of the body panels received new paint, including the little "W" that holds the windshield on. The small side panels in the middle of the bike were re-painted silver, the same as they had been, but they had some small scratches and needed to be re-done as well.

IMO the most impressive part of the repair was to the gas tank because when I dumped it, the bike slid for a while before being stopped by a sign post. The post tore the front seat and put a nasty crease in the tank. The body guy I used did an amazing job of repairing the dent. There is no visible evidence of the dent.

Here are some "before" photos:

IMG_8937-1.JPG

IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_8938.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8944.JPG

Just curious - what'd it cost you for the paint job?
To be honest, I expected the cost to be more than $1,000, but my friend only charged me $650. A price that I think was more than generous. I am going to give him a bit more for his trouble.

I never checked around with any dealers / body shops, so I am not sure what the 'street' price would be for the work that was done. I went with my friend because I have seen the work that he does and knew he would do a great job with it, and he didn't disappoint.

Wow Maineiac,

That's a pretty solid job you did on sanding down the original finish. Hope you walked away from that one AOK.

The "new" finish looks solid as well. Tip o' the hat to your painter :hi:

Cheers,

W2

Curious,

W2

Finally, a Gen I owner that KNOWS the Gen II's are far superior. He did the next best thing to actually acquiring a highly coveted Gen II, he EMULATED it with his new , "black is beautiful baby", paint job. :assassin:

Looks good. The shiny 'W' in front makes a big difference. Mine is mostly 'bug guts' yellow in front.

I like it, but think I love the red/white bike in the background. Is that an early FJ?
Good eyes dcarver. Yup, that is my '86 FJ1200. Still love to ride that one too. In fact, by some definitions it is now a 'classic'. I have been able to show my '86 FJ at the Owl's Head Transportation Museum's annual motorcycle show over the past few years. It's a great little vehicle museum in Owl's Head, Maine (near Rockland), and their annual motorcycle show is alway a big draw with all manner of classic bikes. You can check out pictures here: https://www.robertmichaud.com/html/owls_hea...cle_show_0.html

Here's a shot of the "FJ brothers" taken back in '04 or so:
db_P10103851.jpg

Nice job! Me likey!!! :thumbsup:
Hey eeksnake - good to hear from you. I seem to recall bumping into you a couple of years ago in southern Illinios. I believe I was doing some work at the Pere Marquette State Park and noticed your FJR in the parking lot. Hope you are doing well and getting some good miles in!

Keep the shiny side up! :)

Very nice for sure, of course I would say that because it does resemble my black 09. :rolleyes: I get down your way often and when I do I'll look you up. Safe riding.