ATV/Motorcycle BAN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRO

Reaction score
I just learned about this, today. I searched, but could find no discussion of this topic on the forum. Has this went by everybody else, or is it just that nobody has thought of what to say about it?

As of Feb. 10th, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) has effectively banned the sale of all youth ATVs, minibikes, dirtbikes, or any other youth product that contains LEAD. Our Gubment has discovered that motorcycle engines, brakes, suspensions, and batteries contain this deadly chemical. As we've all seen, children 12 and under will do anything to satisfy their addictive urge to consume LEAD. It has been shown that they will - (for instance) - dismantle a brand-new, birthday 4-wheeler, merely to eat the battery.

Dealerships have been forced to take their stock off the showroom floors. They cannot supply or sale parts to repair these monstrous 'toys'. If this Act is not ammended, they will be required to destroy their stock, at their own cost.

Family off-roading is through - Revealed (at last), as the vast, inhumane, child-destroying conspiracy of evil parents that it actually is.

A call should go out - a call to arms! "Parents" who have provided their children with any of these, so-called, recreational vehicles (engines of destruction, that is), should be rounded up and placed into re-education camps. Dealers - (reminicent of drug dealers?) - should, likewise, be interned... Gassing is too good for the lot of them.

It sounds like a joke - but it's not. There are numerous petitions and initiatives to put a stop to this bann, but in today's anti-everything, psuedo-environmental protectionist climate, I have no idea if pressure on our legislators will have any real effect. Considering some of the studies and proposed legislation concerning motorcycle emissions, and increased regulations banning off-roading on Federal lands (with discussion of broadening such even further), I am wondering how long it will be before attention is focused on all motorcycles. Motorcycles are noisy, too fast, and dangerous, after all. They don't even have seat belts. Unsavory characters often ride them. The things are too dirty and unsafe to be on the road - or off it. Putting a kid on a bike should be a Federal Crime. Maybe soon, it will be... Maybe...

They should all be banned.

The supposed target of this legislation, introduced by Congressman Bobby Rush, supported by our current President and Secretary of State, and signed into law by President Bush, was to bann lead from kid's toys. It sounded good. Nobody wants a toddler to get lead poisoning from chewing on a Playschool Building Block. It's a fact that too many imported, Chinese toys and other products have been found to have unsafe levels of lead in them.

It appears, however, that the motorcycling public (not to mention various motorcycle enthusiast associations), didn't read the fine print. There were deceptive sections in this Act, intended to go after motorized recreation. And so... It has. It's up to you to try to fight this ridiculous piece of crap legislation: Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Public Law 110-314, formerly HR 4040. Sign a petition, write your Congressmen, and make your opinion known. If kids can't have a 4-wheeler or dirt bike their size, those so inclined will end up riding larger, more adult-sized bikes/ATVs (currently still legal for sale).

Since bigger bikes have bigger batteries - Wow - A 12-year-old battery junkie's delight. I can see it, now... I'm coming out to a parking lot, to get on my bike... It's surrounded by grade-schoolers... They've taken it apart, and are fighting over what remains of my electrical system...

Let's give these kids back their own bikes. Before they eat ours.

Yeah, the dirt bike community is in an uproar over this little charm. Its the major topic right now. I wonder what is going to crawl out from under the rock next?

Check out one thing that is being done to counter this at www.thumpertalk.com

Last edited by a moderator:
<embed src="https://www.motoxposure.com/tv/video/JWPlayer/player.swf" width="515" height="315" bgcolor="undefined" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="file=https://www.motoxposure.com/tv/video/letthekidsride.flv&image=https://www.motoxposure.com/tv/video/images/letthekidsride.jpg&skin=https://www.motoxposure.com/tv/video/JWPlayer/dangdang.swf&stretching=fill"/>

So does this mean that a 16 or 17 year old cant buy a street bike or dirt bike because they are under 18?

This is the most F'd up thing I have ever seen in my life. Take their bikes and give them a crack pipe or some ADHD meds and make them stay inside all day watching TV. I hope that the AMA or someone with some pull is doing something about it. :angry:

Yes the AMA is involved and trying to get ATv/MC exempted from the ban.

you can go here and sign up for notices by the AMA which will ask you to get involved and write your legislators. They provide the from letter, all you have to do is send it.

AMA - MC Rights Center

It does require that you get involved and do more than complain though.

you can go here and sign up for notices by the AMA which will ask you to get involved and write your legislators. They provide the from letter, all you have to do is send it.

AMA - MC Rights Center

Thanks for the info. You can bet I will be all over it.

AMA - MC Rights Center

You don't have to be a member of AMA to visit their site and fill out a very easy and quick form that will be sent to the appropriate members of congress for your area. Please take a moment, even if you don't have young kids. https://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=629

Thanks

You don't have to be a member of AMA to visit their site and fill out a very easy and quick form that will be sent to the appropriate members of congress for your area. Please take a moment, even if you don't have young kids. https://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=629Thanks

Thanks, forgot to mention that. The other thing it will do is keep you informed of other legislative action with regard to MC or ATV.

So does this mean that a 16 or 17 year old cant buy a street bike or dirt bike because they are under 18?
In the (linked) video it says: "Children under 12 won't be allowed to race." I didn't see anything in the video that said anything about ages over 12.

The video also said it was mainly bikes that were sourced from China. That seems like it would be easier to remedy -- get the Chinese to stop using lead based paint.

On the face of it, under age 12 doesn't seem like a great handicap -- but, I admit to not having a child under 12 (things could be way more acute if one were actually, personally, involved?). I have seen parents take risks with their child's safety with small motorcycles -- and, I do think some parents see small ATVs as defacto baby-sitters.

The "kids on dirt-bikes/ATVs" issue is part of a serious campaign (against) by do-gooders across the country -- and doesn't appear to be going away. The 'paint-issue' is just a place where they found a 'chink in the armor'.

This latest, I fear, may just be 'the camel's nose under the tent'...? :unsure:

In the (linked) video it says: "Children under 12 won't be allowed to race." I didn't see anything in the video that said anything about ages over 12.

The video also said it was mainly bikes that were sourced from China. That seems like it would be easier to remedy -- get the Chinese to stop using lead based paint.

On the face of it, under age 12 doesn't seem like a great handicap -- but, I admit to not having a child under 12 (things could be way more acute if one were actually, personally, involved?). I have seen parents take risks with their child's safety with small motorcycles -- and, I do think some parents see small ATVs as defacto baby-sitters.

The "kids on dirt-bikes/ATVs" issue is part of a serious campaign (against) by do-gooders across the country -- and doesn't appear to be going away. The 'paint-issue' is just a place where they found a 'chink in the armor'.

This latest, I fear, may just be 'the camel's nose under the tent'...? :unsure:
Not to get off topic to debate the merits of whether kids under 12 should ride, that is a family decision not a governmental. The "do-gooders" are using the lead ban as a way to shut out motorcycles/atv from riding areas. The "do-gooders" are using a law in a way that wasn't intended to try and stop all motorcycling. :angry2:

Yes I have ridden since I was a little kid and so have my kids. I won't let them ride a quad, because when kids (or adults) crash them, they roll over the top of you, where motorcycles separate from you and rarely if ever will come in contact with you after the get-off. (Just watch a MotoGP crash for dramatic footage of this theory)

And finally, life is a risk, that's why we all ride and enjoy managing that risk. I want my kids and their kids to be able to do the same in the future. B)

This is fooking ridiculous....... every motor cycle riding club should be involved in this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm stunned..... so my kids can't ride their quads at any park anymore???

B.

It's a Brave New World. Get used to it kids.

They start off taking little things, maybe most don't miss. Before you know it, motorcycles are outlawed as they are a health threat to ones safety.

Long ago when they were trying to go after two stroke dirt bikes I thought all two stroke people should band together, jet skiers, outboard boaters, leaf blowers, go-carters, snow mobilers, etc. A common thread was there. They didn't. 2-strokes are close to extinct.

They start off taking little things, maybe most don't miss. Before you know it, motorcycles are outlawed as they are a health threat to ones safety.

Long ago when they were trying to go after two stroke dirt bikes I thought all two stroke people should band together, jet skiers, outboard boaters, leaf blowers, go-carters, snow mobilers, etc. A common thread was there. They didn't. 2-strokes are close to extinct.
Please keep this on-topic and not turning into a governmental bashing thread.

I seems that after every piece of legislation is passed, ...you inevitably get some group or another screaming that this is going to end life as we know it. I've yet to see it happen. Always it's the manufacturer (who stands to lose some market share) that is funding the artificially induced "grass roots" movements involved.

In this case, as in all the others, I think there it's just a lot of alarmist whining going on, ...consequently I find it hard to believe the claims made by either side.

Go tomorrow and try to buy your kid a dirt bike.

Try to buy parts for a kid's dirt bike.

Try to buy a part for your own bike (maybe a grip, peg, or a lever) that's also used on a kid's bike.

"I couldnt have said it better!"

I think most people here are overreacting, but the ban is shortsighted - for example, most electronics contain lead-based solder (I'm pretty sure at least -- I don't think silver-based solder is too widely used), yet those are still sold to kids. But no kid dismantles electronics sealed with tamper-proof screws and licks the circuit board. No would they somehow cut open a sealed battery. (If they did, nearly all battery chemistries would harm or kill them.)

I do agree that young children should not be around anything using lead-based paint. That's on the surface.

Go tomorrow and try to buy your kid a dirt bike.
Try to buy parts for a kid's dirt bike.

Try to buy a part for your own bike (maybe a grip, peg, or a lever) that's also used on a kid's bike.
Doesn't sound like the end of the world to me. I'd imagine that a quick scan of parts suppliers shows that most of the things I might need for my fjr are in stock.

However, I CAN see how it can be inconvenient for some folks (at least until some smart entrepreneur comes up with a fix and fills the niche). If THIS is the end of the world for some folks, maybe they need a new world. ...or at least a reality check.

I DO think the fact that I shouldn't have to worry about buying toys for my kids that have have hidden lead in them is a big deal.

On the "Scale of Big Things", lead poisoning and brain damage in kids (ANYBODY'S kids) is a big deal to me, ...dirt bikes for kids, ...not so much.