ATV/Motorcycle BAN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't sound like the end of the world to me. I'd imagine that a quick scan of parts suppliers shows that most of the things I might need for my fjr are in stock.
However, I CAN see how it can be inconvenient for some folks (at least until some smart entrepreneur comes up with a fix and fills the niche). If THIS is the end of the world for some folks, maybe they need a new world. ...or at least a reality check.

I DO think the fact that I shouldn't have to worry about buying toys for my kids that have have hidden lead in them is a big deal.

On the "Scale of Big Things", lead poisoning and brain damage in kids (ANYBODY'S kids) is a big deal to me, ...dirt bikes for kids, ...not so much.
Well, that AMA link I put up earlier also has several other issues that are being followed. (You have to root around a bit to find them, or covered on page 19 & 20 of the March 2009 AMA magazine) It is a noise ban on motorcycles in NY city. To be enforced only on motorcycles. (Proposed fines are $1000 first offense, forfieture of the MC the second.) Another MC law proposed in NY is to do MC only checkpoints, with the only reason to stop you at the check point is that you are riding a MC. Others want to shut down MX parks like Loretta Lynn's which has been a staple for producing top notch MX racers for at least 25 years.

It is people like you who say "it's OK, it's not me" and bury your head in the sand. The point is, the is a very concerted effort out there to end all motorcycling and "save us from ourselves".

I am not politically motivated, but I don't like people taking away my (and my family's) rights. I do agree, that there are ways to improve as technology does, but to do a total ban before they have a solution in place is not responsible either. Or to apply a law in a way that it was not intended to be applied. Where is the science and data to back up kids getting lead poisioning from chewing on their MC fenders or batteries?

Keep drinking the kool-aid my friend and they will affect get you soon. :glare:

I think that this might be unforseen collateral damage from a good idea. A law to limit lead in childrens toys is hard to disagree with. However, it is foolish to consider a motorcycle or atv a "toy". Hopefully kids that have the basic knowledge to operate one are smart enough not to lick or chew on them. Actually very few of the small bikes have batteries unless they are electric start. I believe it is the paint and chemicals in the plastics that are the issue.

Although I agree that some parents use these vehicles as babysitters, there are some 5 and 6 y/o kids that could embarress alot of adults. Just like Little League in baseball, this is where our chosen hobby starts to develop. I'm sure most of us started out on a minibike when we were young.

I would like to think that this is an oversight that will be corrected quickly, before it hurts the dealers and suppliers, and kids. The best way to help is to take the time to contact your congressmen using the supplied link a couple of posts up. It literally takes 2 minutes. If you don't care, don't bother. Just remember....Next time it could be YOU!!! <_<

Edit In reference to the racing ban for the 12 and under kids, Initially it was being reported that they would cancel all the classes involving 65cc and under bikes and quads as this would be promoting the use of illegal "toys" It is my understanding now, that this is not the case and racing will continue. However, if you can't get parts for the bikes when they break it will be a moot point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed the following comment on Yamaha's website:

"IMPORTANT

All accessories and apparel intended for children 12 and younger are temporarily not for sale. "

Seems it's not just parts and accessories, but anything that is remotely connected to motorcycling.

Well, that AMA link I put up earlier also has several other issues that are being followed. (You have to root around a bit to find them, or covered on page 19 & 20 of the March 2009 AMA magazine) It is a noise ban on motorcycles in NY city. To be enforced only on motorcycles. (Proposed fines are $1000 first offense, forfieture of the MC the second.) ...The point is, the is a very concerted effort out there to end all motorcycling and "save us from ourselves".

Where is the science and data to back up kids getting lead poisioning from chewing on their MC fenders or batteries?
Sadly, the motorcycling community has been woefully neglectful about being pro-active or self-actualizing concerning issues that would be in its own self interest.

Noise ban: (and there is scientific data to back noise pollution regs) The FJR meets EPA (Federal) noise emission regulations at 80 DBa. Yamaha's been forced to make its products progressively quieter due (in large part) to its own customers making their bikes louder. This doesn't go un-noticed by the general public. Especially agregious are those who make their bikes 'stupid loud' -- which then causes the reactionary public out-cry for even quieter motorcycles.

Helmet issue: (and there is scientific data to back hemet regs) More of the same -- "You can't tell me what to do." "If you try, I'll retaliate by wearing a thin plastic 'beanie' to show my disgust for your concern/good sense."

Kids ATV/motorcycle ban: (lots of emergency room data -- altho, probably not due to lead...) Although some 3-wheel ATVs where pretty good off-highway vehicles (ATC 250X & ATC 350X, IMO), the CPSC got all 3-wheel ATVs banned -- and it stuck. The ATV community largely ignored most safety advice about: letting kids ride un-supervised; riding on paved roads (for which the vehicles weren't designed); riding with a passenger (again, not designed); and riding without proper safety gear/apparel. Often seen: 2 young kids riding a size-inappropriate ATV 2-up without a stitch of safety gear down a rural black-top road without an adult to be seen anywhere. And we wonder why society is concerned....? :unsure:

I don't think these issues arise from a vacuum. And we don't do ourselves/our sport any favors when we cause the general public to look at us in disdain. The FJR community probably isn't a major offender -- but, motorcycling in-general (IMO) could do much better.

Education v/s Regulation. If self-examination and discipline can't offset self-gratification then it remains for society to regulate. :blink: :(

CMM - U bring up some good points to ponder. It is sad though that those responsible motorcyclists are punished for those not so responsible. These things happen, I'm not sure we can protect everyone from their own stupidity lack of obeying advice from the manufactures or even common sense.

Many have an apathy towards things that they aren't involved with. So what if a group goes after noisy golf carts, I don't golf. I don't jet-ski, big deal won't hurt me. Etc, etc, until it comes full circle to your passion. Motorcycling, surfing, hiking, what ever. In hind sight you then see how all this happened, then it's too late.

From what others have posted, I can't believe this is happening. I too hope it's corrected; however, if the past is any indication, we're in for more of the same. And as so nicely pointed out, next time it just may be you.