Avon Storm vs Michelin PR2 vs the rest??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve G.

Reaction score
I'm relatavely new to FJR's, the current Conti Road Attacks on my '05 are clearly not going to last much longer. Read all the threads on all of these tires. Only experience with others are Bridgstone 020's and 021's. It sounds like the 021's are not the tire of choice on the front heavy FJR, work fine on my Guzzi, 140ibs less. I'm not really a fan of any make, had real good luck with Avon & Metzeler dual sport tires. The local Yamaha dealer says that the Metzeler sport tour tire is specifically made for the FJR. Checking around the local shops, I also find that most of these tires have another part # designation for extra heavy sport tour bikes like the FJR, extra money of course. I'm getting kind of confused about the whole thing. Am I reading too much into this whole thing?

I've found a place I can get a pair of PR2's for 276US, delivered.

What do you guys think???

Steve

I think you need to let us all in on where to the 2's for that price. Especially if they ship. I called my yammie dealer and they wanted 214 for just a front PR2. I am in Alaska but come on that is ridiculous. So if that place ships I am sure with shipping it is still cheaper than buying them here from the stealership.

I think you need to let us all in on where to the 2's for that price. Especially if they ship. I called my yammie dealer and they wanted 214 for just a front PR2. I am in Alaska but come on that is ridiculous. So if that place ships I am sure with shipping it is still cheaper than buying them here from the stealership.
Well, first thing I'll ask is, how close are you to the BC or Yukon border?

Steve

I have PR2's currently, and another set curing in the basement as I got a good deal on them however I must say I liked my Storms much better and will likely go back to them when this next set is done.

I got roughly the same mileage out of them as the Storms, and the PR2's dont handle as well in the rain nor in the twisties...again this is my .02 and I am sure others have different opinions.

I am also getting some terrible cupping on the front PR2 at 12k miles, something I got with my Azerros but never saw with the Storms.

Factor in the price difference and for me the Storms are a better buy.

I have PR2's currently, and another set curing in the basement as I got a good deal on them however I must say I liked my Storms much better and will likely go back to them when this next set is done.I got roughly the same mileage out of them as the Storms, and the PR2's dont handle as well in the rain nor in the twisties...again this is my .02 and I am sure others have different opinions.

I am also getting some terrible cupping on the front PR2 at 12k miles, something I got with my Azerros but never saw with the Storms.

Factor in the price difference and for me the Storms are a better buy.

Interesting, and goes to show that your results may (will!) vary. I've got Storms, and on the front, with about 5K miles, its cupped horribly and close to the wear bars. Never had cupping this bad or this quickly with the Dunlop 205s I was running on my FJ. If I can get 12K miles out of PR2s, then I would be happy, at this point. The Storm rear looks okay, so I may swap out the front, the replace both with PR2s.

There are several tires that work well on the FJR, some last longer, some stick better in certain conditions, and the differences are debatable and seem to vary by rider. In order for you to get the answer to your question, for you, you'll have to do what many of us have done, try them all.

Unfortunately, once you have tried the various available tires you'll find that there are now new models that must be tried. It is a never ending quest for the best tires. All part of the fun of sport touring. B)

Regarding your specific question about Storm vs PR2, I found the Storm to be easier to lean over than the PR2, but not really stickier. The PR2 lasted about twice as many miles for me than the Storm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Storms have the best feel of any tire I have run yet! Pilot Powers are also right there.

PR2's give me slightly better milage but not the same confidence inspiring grip as the Storms or Powers.

Storms or Powers, I will do good to get 3 or 4K out of them, PR2's I may be able to squeak out 5K +.

Well, first thing I'll ask is, how close are you to the BC or Yukon border? Steve
You're also asking for help, please edit your preferences to show where you live.

Absolute tire mileage, based on anecdotal info, seems related to 3 factors beyond speed/curves:

* blacktop vs. concrete roadways (blacktop is more abrasive = lower mileage)

* ave temp (Canada riders get better mileage than hot desert riders)

* ave rider weight (270 lb rider gets worse mileage than a 170 lb rider)

get 7000 out of a front Storm in this very warm desert part of WA

Well, first thing I'll ask is, how close are you to the BC or Yukon border? Steve
You're also asking for help, please edit your preferences to show where you live.

Absolute tire mileage, based on anecdotal info, seems related to 3 factors beyond speed/curves:

* blacktop vs. concrete roadways (blacktop is more abrasive = lower mileage)

* ave temp (Canada riders get better mileage than hot desert riders)

* ave rider weight (270 lb rider gets worse mileage than a 170 lb rider)

get 7000 out of a front Storm in this very warm desert part of WA
Well, I live just outside Vancouver, BC. Most of my riding is in the desert areas of eastern Washington & Oregon. I'm probably 260ib wet, ride kind of agressive, not much into top speed running, go more for corner charging. Not any concrete roads around here, except Interstate 5 and Guide Meridian, in WA.

It's too bad this guy: https://www.petes-superbike.com/en/accueil/ doesn't have Avons, nice to have choices that are resonably priced.

Steve

I run Avon Storms. At ~250#, so I keep the pressure up at 42 psi in the rear, 41 front. The Avons do have a history of QC problems, but for ME, they offer the best combo of stick and wear.

Jeff Ashe has run a whole bunch of tires in similar conditions and reports the results in as apples-to-apples a manner as he can.

Here's a link to the original Jeff Ashe tire comparo thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;hl=ashe+tire

Don't know why a new topic, tire link #2:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;hl=ashe+tire

He's got a must-read thread on suspension set-up too: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;hl=ashe+tire

Try www.DerbyCycles.com for some good prices as well. I'm just getting ready to change out the stock tires at 5800 miles for some PR2's. What crappy stock tires they are the worst.

Motorcycle Superstore has some pretty decent prices right now, with free shipping. Add in the coupon codes below and it comes out to a decent deal. Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with them.

Current Motorcycle Superstore Coupon Codes:

* C409CPNPAGE5 - $5 off orders over $100. Coupon code expires 4/30/09.

* C409CPNPAGE20 - $20 off orders over $200. Coupon code expires 4/30/09.

* C409CPNPAGE50 - $50 off orders over $500. Coupon code expires 4/30/09.

Doesn't really belong with this topic other then the fact it's about an Avon Azzaro tire.

I really wish I would have gotten more of the $39 front Avon Azzaro's tires. This tire is WAY better then my old B21 Stone I had on there. It is working very well with the rear B21. It falls into lines and holds lines so much better then my old set up. Have to let you know that my B21 front also had the high center ridge at 3500 miles.

Dave

In the next month or so, I'll be replacing the rear B21 with a PR2. I'll give a report back on this combo as well.

Motorcycle Superstore has some pretty decent prices right now, with free shipping. Add in the coupon codes below and it comes out to a decent deal. Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with them.

Current Motorcycle Superstore Coupon Codes:

* C409CPNPAGE5 - $5 off orders over $100. Coupon code expires 4/30/09.

* C409CPNPAGE20 - $20 off orders over $200. Coupon code expires 4/30/09.

* C409CPNPAGE50 - $50 off orders over $500. Coupon code expires 4/30/09.

I just ordered PR2's from these guys. Easy, clean, no hassle. I'd like to thank you FJR flyer for pointing out the discount coupon codes, saved me even more money.

What I'd like to do is ask you how you found these codes, and how I can find them???

Steve

I just ordered PR2's from these guys. Easy, clean, no hassle. I'd like to thank you FJR flyer for pointing out the discount coupon codes, saved me even more money. What I'd like to do is ask you how you found these codes, and how I can find them???

Steve
I found the coupon codes using the google search bar in Firefox. It starts giving a drop down list of things it thinks you're looking for. I was typing in 'motorcycle superstore' and one of the things listed was its coupons. I just clicked on it and found the coupons.

I just ordered PR2's from these guys. Easy, clean, no hassle. I'd like to thank you FJR flyer for pointing out the discount coupon codes, saved me even more money. What I'd like to do is ask you how you found these codes, and how I can find them???

Steve
I found the coupon codes using the google search bar in Firefox. It starts giving a drop down list of things it thinks you're looking for. I was typing in 'motorcycle superstore' and one of the things listed was its coupons. I just clicked on it and found the coupons.
Well done my man!!!

Steve

For those who ordered the the PR2s, did you order the 180/55-17 for 171.99 or the 180/55-17B for 202.99? The footnote says the "B" is the one for the FJR. Maybe an additonal sidewall belt like the Bridgestone BT20N?

I just called Michelin. The "B" designation is for two riders they said. So it probably is an extra belt for load carrying. Lighter weight people shouldn't have any problems two up with the non "B" tire according to the person I spoke with.