B spec tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wlfman

Reaction score
First off I apologize if this is a never ending repeated question. I did a quick search and could not find my answer.

I'm new to the FJR and "B" spec tires. My question is if I rarely ride loaded up and even rarer do I ride two-up do I need to use these "B" spec tires? I want to get a few sets of tires on order before I need them and have been doing price comparisons.

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys.
bike.gif

I don't even know what a B spec tire is. Never heard it discussed around here until today (that I can remember anyway).
Many, MANY, MANY times.*

Try b spec site:fjrforum.com at google yourself.
wink.png

* (but far less than CTs).

Hey thanks Iggie.

I did indeed look it up on google per your recommendation. You sure were right about it being discussed many times around here. Now that I think about it, I guess I did see that on the forum a couple times. Reason I didn't know much about it was simply that I don't typically read much about tires on the forum. I guess I tend to skip posts on that subject since I made the decision early on to stick with Michelin PR's (on the front anyway).

Gary

darksider #44

I don't even know what a B spec tire is. Never heard it discussed around here until today (that I can remember anyway).
Many, MANY, MANY times.*

wink.png

I don't use Google, and I did try a search here and on a search engine and did not come up with any results. Which is why I posted the thread and apologized if it was a never ending question...

I don't use Google, and I did try a search here and on a search engine and did not come up with any results. Which is why I posted the thread and apologized if it was a never ending question...
You should!
punk.gif

It's FAR better and more effective for newbies...and will likely lead to less apologies and grumpy regulars (like me) in the future. It's also one of the reasons our forum founder wrote this and pinned it...just for you. :)

Many, MANY, MANY times.*

wink.png

Don't apologize too hard, the forum search engine is a reliable as a BMW final drive. I just bought a "C" spec PR2 and not many had even heard of this one.

Agree, forum SE-indexing and retrieve is subpar hence the suggestions to use google.

B-spec vs standard sidewall always gets some dander up on peeps. So we don't start up the same old argument u probably should google it.

Many, MANY, MANY times.*

wink.png

Not to worry, it's not a perfect world.

Sometimes we learn by doing.

To B, or not to B, that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Prices,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of Blowouts,
And by opposing end them: to wear out, to leak
No more; and by baldness, to say no tread

These days it seems that most tire companies are offering specialty tires for high horsepower, heavy sport/touring motorcycles. The tread and rubber compounding pretty much remains the same as the rest of the tire family but the tire carcass is modified to reduce sidewall flex which results in less heat and better control.

I run the B/C/GT spec tires instead of the normal spec tires because the 'beams make a full load and we tend to keep up with the one-up riders. With the notable exception of the GT, the 'extra duty' tires have performed well and provided very good tread life. I dunno if the normal spec tire would have performed as well, but I have not been disappointed with the B spec tires for the way we ride.

For Pirelli, I have found out this last week, their "A-Spec" Angel tire is their heavy duty Sport touring tire.

So the alphabet soup goes on without standardization...

On the Pirelli Diablo Stradas they used to call it an "E" code.

Some may ask, what is different in these alphabet soup tires as compared to the "regulars?" In most cases (all that I know of) they only add an extra ply in the tire sidewalls.

What does that do for you? Well, a stiffer sidewall will reduce sidewall flex with a given load. That means the tire will not heat up as much with all other things remaining equal (load, speed, inflation pressure and ambient temp). Excess heat is the biggest enemy of any tire. You need to have some heat to get the rubber flexible enough to conform to the road surface and provide good traction. But it is a trade off as heat causes accelerated tread wear and can (and will) eventually result in structural damage and a blow out.

You can improve the tire's ability to perform with a heavy load simply by increasing inflation pressure, but only up to the maximum pressure rating for the given tire. Higher pressure has the same overall effect as the extra sidewall belt in reducing sidewall flexing and thereby reducing heat, but it also makes the tire tread area harder and you lose some contact patch and traction by going too high.

So, to summarize, the added sidewall gives you stiffer sidewalls, for improved heat management with heavy loads, but at a lower (more normal) inflation pressure than the normal tires. If you do not ride with a heavy load very often they will not do much of anything for you except lighten your wallet.

edit - On reading what I wrote, I realized that a person could order the alphabet spec tire and then run that tire at a reduced air pressure (with a non-heavy load), which would allow the tire tread to squish flatter on the road, increase the contact patch and they might get better traction as a result. I dunno...

There are aspects of this thread that underscore my appreciation of the FJR Forum, and also aspects of this same thread that cause me to despise this forum at times. As always, thanks to the positive contributors!