B spec tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run the B/C/GT spec tires instead of the normal spec tires because the 'beams make a full load and we tend to keep up with the one-up riders. With the notable exception of the GT, the 'extra duty' tires have performed well and provided very good tread life. I dunno if the normal spec tire would have performed as well, but I have not been disappointed with the B spec tires for the way we ride.
I also got a 'B' spec rear when I put on my last set of PR3's, for two reasons: a) although I never ride two-up, I often ride with the saddlebags fully loaded and extra gear in a Pelican case, so it's not a lightweight setup; B) from time to time I find myself riding a tad over the posted limit.

At the time I bought my set with the 'B' rear, it was only a few dollars more than the standard rear, so I decided to give them a try. While I haven't noticed any differences in handling or wear so far -- with about 6,000 miles -- I'm hoping that the 'B' will help them hold up for a good long stint.

I don't even know what a B spec tire is. Never heard it discussed around here until today (that I can remember anyway).
Many, MANY, MANY times.*

Try b spec site:fjrforum.com at google yourself.
wink.png

* (but far less than CTs).
Here's Izzy's link on LMGTFY:

Let Me Google That For You
Nice! That is a link that went into my bookmarks and think it would be equally at home in other forum dwellers bookmarks as well.
thumbsup.gif

...I often ride with the saddlebags fully loaded and extra gear in a Pelican case, so it's not a lightweight setup...At the time I bought my set with the 'B' rear, it was only a few dollars more than the standard rear, so I decided to give them a try. While I haven't noticed any differences in handling or wear so far -- with about 6,000 miles -- I'm hoping that the 'B' will help them hold up for a good long stint.
You probably don't need the B spec tire, whereas 80% or more of my miles are two up with the luggage loaded and approaching the maximum vehicle weight. One thing you do loose with the B is some ride compliance, the B will give you a slightly harsher ride. I have been getting at least 12k miles from the B PR2. This summer I ran a GT in the same weight range and same riding style. When we left for CFR the tire looked new and easily passed inspection, when we returned to the driveway after CFR I was through the tread in places on the sides of the tire but there was still some tread in the center. I got some nice feathering along the tread too. The GTs gave me less than 6k miles of life. Yes, I do check my tire pressure regularly ;)

023-GT-1_zps1c8bef0f.jpg

Nice! That is a link that went into my bookmarks and think it would be equally at home in other forum dwellers bookmarks as well.
Fred W and I and a few others have been LMGTFY posters for quite a while.

023-GT-1_zps1c8bef0f.jpg

Fred W and I and a few others have been LMGTFY posters for quite a while.
I've clearly missed the elegance and simplicity of it. Catching up with you wise and early adopters--I've updated in our pinned thread about searching with Google with a tip o' the beanie to y'all. ;)

To "B" or not to "B"? < Irrelevant. Michelin PR4 GT DESIGNED for sport touring bikes over 600 pounds. Allegedly will provide better 'wet handling, AND better mileage' than the PR3. In production now, and hopefully available sometime in December. Count me IN.

Ooooops, my bad regarding the "over 600 pounds". I got that verbally from a K1600GTL friend of mine, but thanks to ionbeam I read the press release, and it says, "over 600 cc", not pounds. RATS, I'm back to: "To B, or not to B"

Last edited by a moderator:
My Fine FJR Forum Friends, if you look like this you need a B spec tire; trust tus Papa Chuy Viejo eh, es Verdad ese! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

MexicoApril2010008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To "B" or not to "B"? < Irrelevant. Michelin PR4 GT DESIGNED for sport touring bikes over 600 pounds. Allegedly will provide better 'wet handling, AND better mileage' than the PR3. In production now, and hopefully available sometime in December. Count me IN.
You can read about this tire and see pixs in this Forum thread.

Latest posts