Back Agony - how to deal with it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
am slouching as well. So, if I am thinking this through properly, the riser would help me sit upright (straighter) and the handle bars moved in toward the seat (as compared to forward toward the front) would help?
Yes, you will sit up straighter. I had as similar back problem early on and read many threads at that time will exactly the same response you're getting. Based on what I read I got "a product" which raises the bars, changes their angle, and moving them back. For the first several hundred miles my throttle hand and arm got sooorreee - "remember relax the grip, get your weight off your arms, sit up". Took a while to break the "cruiser" habit.

After several 10,000s of miles and changing seats (second time), I took off the "up and back" and put on just a riser. This gave me the height but I felt I was reaching for the bars which strained my back; so back to the original combo. Works for me - but still have to watch my riding posture and exercise my arms, back and legs while riding. If things start getting sore, I "ain'" sitting correctly and/or haven't stretched my arms, back and legs.

Good luck getting the right combination for you, it's well worth it.

Sell the fecking thing and buy a Lincoln..

Fuk, I tire of those who seek to blame this platform for something that may be physically wrong. What the hell happened to plain old common sense????????? The motorcycle is some new infucking vention?
Let's not forget the delightful experience of receiving medical advice from our resident "goat lover".....

sheesh, Barry, semi-retirement getting to you, combined with cabin fever. :rolleyes:

There are those who suffer different physical maladies and ask for solutions others have found.

Personally, I suffered similar pains and tried a Bac-a-line brace. Changing my seating position (Russell seat) and using Master Yoda eliminated the symptoms.
Now now.. Lets dive into this further shall we?

It's well known I have an affliction for the sheep and have spent several years enjoying the pleasures they provide however....

The best sex I had was with a short legged ewe.. Unfortunately her diminutive stature cause me considerable discomfort in the knees and lower back.

Well as you know this kind of love isn't widely accepted, so I searched the forums in new zeeland answers.... Several suggestions, but in the end? She had to go as she just wasn't a good fit.

Now I didn't announce this on the open forum as ridicule would certainly follow as the short legged ewe isn't anything new. My point being search engines do work and can save you from being made out to be an ass.

:lol:

I am not blaming the platform. It's an awesome bike. . . First time I've every had a back problem like this.
First time you've ever been this freakin' OLD! :lol:

But yep, I do agree you build up tolerance by riding it, and a long first ride like that would be tough on anybody. Risers will help. A more upright position will help, and so will stretching. Stretch at stops too. You're pretty much stuck in one position riding a bike and you'll stiffen up after a while. Wonder if any of your Vancouver Island neighbors give massages?
whistling_smiley_by_Broni123.gif

And Barb. Answer: nothing.

I had the same problem and got the riser and heli triple clamp which helped alot. I also had pain in the lower back which a trip to traxxion and a penske shock and ak20s in the front helped big time. It also maybe the windshield or lack thereof. If you are getting alot of wind and you are unconsciously using your neck and shoulder muscles to keep your head up try leaning your head forward to take the strain off the neck, part of good riding posture. Spend a few grand and you will find the pain feels greater in you right rear pocket. ha ha.

Now I didn't announce this on the open forum as ridicule would certainly follow as the short legged ewe isn't anything new. My point being search engines do work and can save you from being made out to be an ass.
:lol:

You're saying you have an ass as WELL as all the sheep? And here was I, thinking that we were talking about modifications to the FJR to make a rider more comfortable.

Something else to consider is pain medication like Aleve or Advil. Limited side effects, low cost, readily available, easy to bring along. Works for me, along with the bar risers.

Bob

I used to get back pain on my FJR. Have the bar risers with pullbacks, changed riding habits etc. but the seat was the cure.

The Corbin, may help? A Russel is better by far. But these Sweet Cheeks are an interesting alternative. I cheaped out on a new to me V-Strom 1000 and went this route. After some miles, it seemed to work "almost" as well as the Russel, but the system moves around under my butt more. I am tall at 6' 2".

Note; Not warranted for motorcycle

Hi everyone - I purchased a new 2010 FJR last summer. I went on an extended road trip and put on about 4100kms in five days. It was an amazing trip but excruciating upper middle back pain almost ruined the experience for me. I experienced terrible back pain in the upper middle back area between the shoulder blades. I have another, even longer trip planned in May and the thought of living with that kind of back pain is having me reconsider the trip.

Some wisdom from the FJR guru's on the forum would be really appreciated!

I have considered buying a Corbin seat with the driver's backrest (I only ride single) and installing handlebar risers to change the seating position a little. Is there a recommended riser manufacturer?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
I have this same problem, which I have mostly alleviated; now it's merely an annoyance rather than a crippling torture. I have had this on other bikes, though never on the Magna I had just before the FJR.

The Yoda riding position, and core-strengthening exercises, which I do anyway because they're good ideas, did not resolve my back pain. In my case I realized that the pain came because I was leaning forward more on the FJR than I had on the Magna, and as a result, in order to look up at the road ahead I was holding my head up at what was for me an unnatural angle that was stressing my upper-back musculature and nerves; after a couple of hours of this (less if I was cold), I would be in agony and unable to turn my head.

A bunch of individual tweaks have helped, each helping a bit, the total making the bike much more pleasant to ride: I added Helibar risers, and I moved the bars back to their rearmost position; I got a Rocky Mayer seat (stay away from Corbin), cut so that it allows me to sit a bit lower into the bike; I got a peg-lowering kit, which changes the relationship of my knees and hips; I got a lighter and more-aerodynamic helmet, which results in less head-push against my neck and shoulders; and I trained myself to ride with my head at a more-natural angle to my neck and back/chest while looking up and forward with my eyes.

Though I still get a little stiffness in my neck after a few hours, I can ride all day now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone - this has all been very helpful (well, most of it :unsure: :rolleyes: )!

I think my initial plan of attack is to 1) lower the seat 2) adjust the handlebars back and up if possible as well as adjust the throttle tension 3) throttle control/cruise control 4) helibar risers 4) new seat if absolutely necessary. I am continuing the core strength training in any event.

On my last road bike before trading it in on the FJR, I was really dependant on riding with cruise control to prevent back pain. I do believe that this was due to the bars being to long a reach for me. So I was really concerned about the lack of c/c on the FJR so put on a throttle lock. I also installed "grip puppies", https://www.casporttouring.com/optimizer/category/GRIPPUP.html , the small size. These will besides easing the grip will fractionally shorten the reach to the bars. This all worked well, but still not ideally. It turns out by putting on the Throttle Rocker II, https://throttlerocker.com/model-choices.html , which had been in my pack for the whole ride to Taos but never used, that the ride back home was a truly comfortable 2 day ride. Taos to Ogden (650mi), UT and Ogden to B'ham, WA (900mi). Don't believe I used the throttle lock once on the return ride. Oh, and no back problems at all. :)

Here's a link to the throttle lock that I have should have put on instead of one of the bar end models that I did chose. https://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_order.html

DSCN2519.jpg

I have the bars in the full back position and have risers installed, but I also get the high back pain you describe, if I ride more than 1 hour. I haven't done this yet ( I just put my bike up for sale ) but my next step would be the helibars. What is a little annoying is that there does not seem to be an item on the FJR market for bar risers that also move the handlebars back. Helibars seem to be the only product that does that, but they cost about $325 and since they are a little complicated to install (drilling is required) about $140 for the local dealership to install. It is a mystery to me that true barBacks are not available for those of us a little more advanced in age who get a pain in the back from the lean forward posture required by the stock setup.

On my last road bike before trading it in on the FJR, I was really dependant on riding with cruise control to prevent back pain. I do believe that this was due to the bars being to long a reach for me. So I was really concerned about the lack of c/c on the FJR so put on a throttle lock. I also installed "grip puppies", https://www.casporttouring.com/optimizer/category/GRIPPUP.html , the small size. These will besides easing the grip will fractionally shorten the reach to the bars. This all worked well, but still not ideally. It turns out by putting on the Throttle Rocker II, https://throttlerocker.com/model-choices.html , which had been in my pack for the whole ride to Taos but never used, that the ride back home was a truly comfortable 2 day ride. Taos to Ogden (650mi), UT and Ogden to B'ham, WA (900mi). Don't believe I used the throttle lock once on the return ride. Oh, and no back problems at all. :)

Here's a link to the throttle lock that I have should have put on instead of one of the bar end models that I did chose. https://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_order.html

DSCN2519.jpg
How would the grip puppies work with the stock heated grips? It looks like you have the Kaoka throttle control? Sounds like you don't like it though?

It is the Kaoka throttle control and it works fine. What I don't care about it is that when it's not set, it vibrates to a full unlock position that requires too many revolutions back before it tightens the throttle. To do this without the accel and deaccel, required holding the throttle at speed with the left hand while using the right to tighten. Perhaps I'm just not adept enough to do it with one hand.

I'm not sure how the grip puppies will be with heated grips. Cheap enough to try and find out, though. :)

I used to get the same pain between the shoulder blades on any ride over an hour or so, and tried the bar risers 1st. They helped a little, but didn't get rid of the problem. I found a set of triple clamps on Ebay that are like the Helibars(the name can't be mentioned here), that raise the bars about an inch and a half and bring them back about the same amount and change the angle outward a few degrees. Problem solved! Now my knees give out after 4 or 5 hours, but that's just from previos injuries. The Helibars aren't cheap, but I bet they'd fix you right up.

Island, I have had three back surgeries and back discomfort is an everyday event for me. I also had issues with upper back/shoulders as well. What has helped me is risers and moving the bars back, relocate the pegs lower and forward a couple of inches, highway pegs, and a Sargent seat. Also, I bought a Back A Line support belt which helps a lot and can usually be bought for a reasonable price off of eBay. Back A Line

You probably don't have the same issues or need all of the adjustments but they have helped me stay on the bike.

grip puppies work just FINE with heated grips
I agree. As a matter of fact, I installed the puppy on the throttle but not on the left grip, wondering whether the heat would be reduced. So my bike is the ultimate test, puppy on the right but not on the left. The heated grips work fine on both grips. One of these days, I'll install the puppy on the left also.

Island, I have had three back surgeries and back discomfort is an everyday event for me. I also had issues with upper back/shoulders as well. What has helped me is risers and moving the bars back, relocate the pegs lower and forward a couple of inches, highway pegs, and a Sargent seat. Also, I bought a Back A Line support belt which helps a lot and can usually be bought for a reasonable price off of eBay. Back A Line

You probably don't have the same issues or need all of the adjustments but they have helped me stay on the bike.
Do you think a driver backrest would be helpful or does the support belt sort of take it's place?

Latest posts