Back from MotoGP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff

Reaction score
I just got back for Indy. I live in NW Indiana. Boy did the weather suck today. I thought it was bad on Friday!! They red flagged the MottoGP race after 20 laps, but did wait to see if they could restart it. No go. As some one said, MAJOR wind and some rain came up. The wind took out the Yamaha tent I heard. They started the MotoGP race at the normal time - 3:00 EST and were to run the 250 race at 4:15 EST, but they canceled the 250 race due to the wind and rain. I got home ok - major flooding in NW Indiana. Hope keithaba got home ok - wind alerts south of Indy and wind damage toward Louisville and I heard 65 was closed.

Kethaba - let us know when you get home. You too cougar8000 - I saw 80/94 was closed due to high water and I assume you go that way.

And thanks to drewvanracer and keithaba for setting up the rv deal. It was real convenient in getting to the track. And thanks to quicksilver for getting us the pit passes. Didn't see too much rider action, but lots umbrella girst!! keithaba will be posting some of the more memorable pics soon. Met some new guys at the cookout on Saturday night, good to meet ya.

Griff, drewvanracer, keithaba et al. Thanks for having me and my brother over for burgers last night! We really appreciated the kind hospitality!

The Yamaha tent was definitely trashed! Those winds were incredible.

They ran those races in the middle of Hurricane Ike!

Thanks again. Maybe we can get together for "Twisty Whisky II"?

I got back to Central Illinois around 6:30. The weather was very wacked for sure. The qualifying yesterday was great to watch, better than the race, I thought. It was cool seeing Nicky Hayden take the lead and hold on to it for awhile. I was in turn 10 and witnessed the pass by Rossi to take the lead. Very impressive with the conditions the way they were. Those guys proved they are THE BEST riders in the world. To ride hard in that mess was unbelievable!

Still a great weekend of racing and glad I went. Will definately go again next year.

Looked wild on the TV, hope everyone got home safe. Showed the Yamaha tent on its side, what a mess. The race had run 2 thirds and should have automatically been called a result. Why the riders were directed down pit lane and not to parc ferme is a mistery. I was thinking much earlier in the race that it should have been stopped and anticipated that they were stretching it to two thirds so that they wouldn't have to re-start. Rossi was up in arms with the Dorna guy on pit lane and he agreed that it couldn't be re-run.

Well done to Ben Spies for a great effort. Our commentary guys said that it was just out that he was deffinitely staying in America next year. I can't fathom that unless it's a personal thing. He should have been racing at world level last year. He is only young though and I hope he makes the move in 2010.

Toseland said they made a bad tyre choice and had a hard wet on. He was hoping for a re-start so they could stick a softer tyre on and he could claw some places back.

We have some pretty crap weather here and many races are run in bad conditions. There is always criticism afterwards because it's dangerous, but inevitably the sponsors money has the final say. 2 Riders have died in the last few years riding in races that should have been stopped because of the conditions. The enquiry on the first is still ongoing, the second was last year but has already been concluded no blame.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got back around 10:30 pm cdt. I-65 was open when we passed through (stopped at Southport Road exit for dinner and then headed south). Lots of trees and signs down. Some roofs off.

I've watched a lot of MotoGP races, and the conditions in this one were as bad as I've ever seen. Rossi said after the race that there were beer cans and paper debris flying around. He said it was the worst conditions he had ridden in during his entire career. We saw plenty of paper debris. I was at the start finish line opposite but west of the garages today, in part due to the rain. No cans there. Probably better defined wind too, due to the grandstands on both sides offering protection from the cross winds to some extent.

Several riders commented that it was right to stop the race. Lorenzo whined a bit that he might have caught Hayden since Hayden's tires were pretty much dead when they called the race (he wore his rain tires down in the dry at the start of the race, and when the rain started up again, he didn't have enough groove to clear the water). Really, Nicky was lucky to get the 2nd place finish... but you've got to take them when you can get them.

Not much has been made of Rossi's 69th victory in the premiere class. He is now sole record holder, his tie with Agostini broken. It looks like Agostini and Rossi did their celebrating at Misano instead of at Indy. Probably a smart move.

Attendance was horrid. I wonder how it compared to ticket sales.

I got home last night shy of 10pm. Pleasure meeting everyone, even so I forgot most of the names :( sorry really bad with names.

Thank you guys for a cook out and providing ability for us to meet even if it was brief.

I wish that I was a rider coach in Texas now.

I wish that I could ride 1/3 as fast in the rain as GP guys did and not crash.

Rain gear rocks.

I have taken a few shots and will try to post them in the next few days if I can find a time. My youngest started to walk and I will enjoying him for a little :)

On Thursday during the interviews every one had a smile and looked like they were happy to be there for the fans. All but Ben. When I post a pictures you will see what I mean. he sat through the 15 min Q&A with a face that said What the fuck am I doing here, who the fuck are you people. Such a prick if you ask me.

Rossi showed true champion spirit during the interview. Once he was done he jumped of the stage and was signing everything that was coming his way for at least 15 minutes. I got within a foot but was not able to get his signature.

Nicki was very impressive in the race. Yes, he would have lost a second spot in a lap or 2 max, but he put a huge effort into it. I am not a big fan of his, but GO Nicki.

On the way home saw a rider from Georgia that probably got lost and was traveling towards IL. Who are you?

Let's do it again next year.

It would be great to least for my benefit to put a name to a tag to a face. Dwayne( spell check) from Texas and his friend on the Wing, Andy and his wife Sarah I think and others.

After 550 miles of pure hell, made it home at 4:00 am. All in all, it was a great show.

A few things I learned for next year....

a) Parking...we paid for parking outside the gate on day 1. Dumb. Free parking inside when you enter gate 10. On day 2, we followed the trail like a bunch of lemmings and got directed to the on-track parking. When we got there and looked 3/4 of a mile away at our seats, we thought 'this sucks'. We then pulled out our map to show one of the worker guys a 'free bike parking' lot that was just behind the northwest vista and very convenient to our seats in section J. He looked at me like I had a 3rd eye. I pulled our gang and we headed back outside of the tunnel and saw a guy with a badge. We asked him about the spot on the map and he says 'hmmm, hadn't heard about it, but, you can park in this lot right here'. Turns out, that was the spot on the map I was talking about. So, for next year, if you're in the Turn 4 area (NW vista, H, J, etc), enter at Gate 10. Just before entering the tunnel, park in the open lot on the right. There couldn't have been more than 30 bikes there and it was very close to the seats.

B ) Getting in-out. DON'T FOLLOW THE GPS!!!! We stayed in Northwest Indy. 1st day we came down 465 all the way down like GPS told us. We sat in traffic for over 30 minutes...on day 1!!! It was much easier to come down 65 and go Lafayette to Georgetown. We got right in/out.

c) Parking. Will be back in J next year

d) downtown festivities. not my kind of thing.

e) hotel. Wasn't bad staying in the NW side of the city. Was at the track in less than 15 minutes and lots of places to eat.

No probs getting home but a few close calls.

The whole time I'm riding home it keeps crossing mind about how hard of a time I'm having on a highway in these conditions, yet the motogp guys are riding like animals on a track!

Gas light came on, but since I didn't want to stop, I rode out one more exit before stopping (15 miles). Get off at the exit, gas station is tore down...... No other stations in sight. <_<

I asked a local, and he said to head north for gas, south had no power. So I had to backtrack 10 more miles, and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it! I did though, the bike stalled as I got off the exit. Got it to restart, then coasted into the station! Next time I'm stopping sooner! :headbonk:

Great time otherwise, I'll post up some pics when I get home.

I was at the very top of one of the stands when that HUGE wind blast hit...The whole stand shuttered!! Weather Sucked (well Saturday was great) but I had a good time and will go back next year.

Gary

Snip...
And thanks to quicksilver for getting us the pit passes. Didn't see too much rider action, but lots umbrella girst!! keithaba will be posting some of the more memorable pics soon. Met some new guys at the cookout on Saturday night, good to meet ya.

hope the pictures are coming soon!

The weather lokoed terrible on TV. Good to see Nicky run up front :yahoo: :clapping:

Not so sure about that, I'll bet there were at least 100,000 there on Sunday.
Well, I hope you're right.... but it sure didn't look like it to us. I'd like to see some official figures. Of course they appear to be committed for next year regardless of this year's gate.

I decided against trying to ride home last night and just stayed in Indy. Goot hon=me a couple hours ago. No rain but a little chilly this morning.

Cant wait till next year!

I asked a local, and he said to head north for gas, south had no power. So I had to backtrack 10 more miles, and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it! I did though, the bike stalled as I got off the exit. Got it to restart, then coasted into the station! Next time I'm stopping sooner! :headbonk:
HHAAHAH! Don't poke the gas gods when you're in unfamiliar territory. They're vicious! Being that I ride a SuperChicken, I don't have any problem with filling up at half a tank if there's doubt in my mind. 100-mile tank range sucks!

It sounds like you guys had a good trip, despite the weather.

Well, I hope you're right.... but it sure didn't look like it to us. I'd like to see some official figures. Of course they appear to be committed for next year regardless of this year's gate.
100,000 sounds about right. The place is so big 100,000 is not a crowd. There was more fans at this race then the last F1 race and they gave an attendance figure of 90,000. If you want to see a crowd go to the Indy 500 with 400,000.

Here are some pictures

Your truly

DSCN0731-vi.jpg

DSCN0773-vi.jpg

Check out this rim

DSCN0739-vi.jpg

See what I mean about Ben. That face was during the whole Q&A

DSCN0751-vi.jpg

The Doctor

DSCN0755-vi.jpg

and his bikes

DSCN0761-vi.jpg

I am in heaven. The one on the left look awesome.

DSCN0768-vi.jpg

Friday practice session

DSCN0781-vi.jpg

For you long distance fans. Look closer at the bags.

DSCN0788-vi.jpg

I am such a chick magnet :)

DSCN0797-vi.jpg

My friend and a Ducati girl

DSCN0800-vi.jpg

Who took this picture ?

DSCN0802-vi.jpg

My other friend

DSCN0803-vi.jpg

I think I know this people :)

DSCN0811-vi.jpg

That is a lap after Rossi got second position. Basically the same spot where he took it.

DSCN0813-vi.jpg

100,000 sounds about right. The place is so big 100,000 is not a crowd. There was more fans at this race then the last F1 race and they gave an attendance figure of 90,000. If you want to see a crowd go to the Indy 500 with 400,000.
I dug around a bit and found an official figure.

https://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...8/1052/SPORTS01

It says announced attendance was 91,064. It also says that Rossi dedicated the victory to his 82 year old grandfather who died earlier in the day on Sunday.

Most sporting events I'm familiar with announce ticket distribution rather than head count, so 91,064 is probably an upper bound. I know the place is very big, but just looking at the parking lots and such, I'm think 75,000 is closer to the number of folks on site at 3 pm on Sunday. One suspicious sign was that they did not announce the attendance on the Dorna sponsored webcast, and they usually do. They talked about the great crowd, but never gave numbers. I'm thinking that Dorna and the Indy folks were hoping for at least 70,000, and by that measure, it would probably be considered a success. I wish you could get a look at the financial data for something like this. I think it would be fascinating.

It was not hard to get away from the place once you figured out how to leave your parking lot. Parking lot traffic coordination was non-existant in Lot 2. Once we figured out how to avoid the grid lock in Lot 2, we were out of there in no time flat. Once out of a parking lot, the traffic flowed pretty good, unless you were caught at that light at the southwest corner of the facility. That one was a real pip. We avoided it and headed out the west side and then south on Sunday.

The facility struck us as somewhat archaic compared to modern tracks. On the bright side, prices for stuff seemed reasonable...especially food prices. I thought they were well within a reasonable range. On the negative side, I felt like I was in a ball park that had been built a long time ago- which I guess is exactly where we were. I think they could sell a lot more stuff if they would put more sales kiosks up high. Once you've been up and down the stairs a few times, you're not going to keep going up and down on whims.

I thought the paddock girls were a lot hotter at Indy than at Laguna Seca. In fact, I thought the paddock girls at Indy were among the best of the season.

However much the attendance was, it was history for sure. Rossi's 69th premier class victory. Hayden's first podium of the year. A tropical storm. The inaugeral Indy MotoGP event. It was great to get to be a part of it. I hope that the weather is better next year. It would sure be nice to have some crisp bright blue skies and moderate temps.

On to Japan....