Back on the big bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
You all know that I've been unfaithful to my beloved FJR for some time now. The charms of a 29" seat height on a 400lb bike that will go off-road happily have seduced me away from the bike I loved most of all. I can touch a good part of EACH foot down at the same time, and be able to right the little bike with ease. It carries it's weight way down low (not unlike it's rider).

WWF2010Prescott008.jpg

Sadly the BMW mechanic had bad news about my dear little G650GS during it's routine 12K service. It needs some parts that are not currently in stock. During the few days that it will take to get the parts, it would be better not to ride the bike. So what's to do? Do I revert to four wheels? Do I even remember how to drive a car?

No fear - FJR to the rescue. It waits patiently in the garage, as Andy's back-up commuter (when he feels like a little more finesse is needed than his R1200GS can deliver). But the old confidence is gone. I was always a bit shaky with the slow speed stuff and now I've been spoiled with the little bike. Would I dare hop on the big bike ever again? I've even got to the reluctant point of switching my personal plate to the BMW. However. I need wheels to get to work tomorrow, so I dusted off the Kiss boots, with the 2.5" thick soles. Andy moved the shifter up for me. Took a test ride and realized that I only get first and neutral, but that was quite fast enough with the housing tract. Came home for an adjustment then went out around the block.

P1010001.jpg

OK, so the block was about ten miles. One has to give a bike like this a full test. What if I didn't like it after nine miles? All those memories came flooding back, of why I (and everyone else here) loves this bike. Just send sweet thoughts to the throttle and the bike takes off. Not sure if I even moved my right hand or not but the bike knew I wanted to go faster. Being Sunday, the rolling roadblocks were out in force. From somewhere within me, a hooligan appeared, deftly whipping the bike from space to space. I remembered to leave one or two gears in the bag, so as not to tempt a performance award. Oh my gosh, this bike is amazing. How could I have let it sit in the garage and ride a 650 single?

I don't think I'm going to need that 4am alarm tomorrow, since I'm looking forward to going to work. Just have to remember to take the off-ramp

and not keep going.

DSCN0005.jpg

Jill, I have so much respect for you. It simply can't be easy to ride a high horse. Like you, for the last, oh, 5 or so weeks I've been riding Wabs, a DL650 exclusively, waiting for FJR parts to arrive. And, first ride on the FJR was like, sex. With a familiar and willing partner. Blond. Blue eyes. Nice big... oh jeesh... what was I talking about? :unsure:

I like my other bikes, DRZ is a kick (can go almost anywhere, go off a curb, dirt, no problem)) vulcan has the v-twin sound (cobra pipes) Shadow like cruizin on a motor boat! But when I get on the FJR, now I really appreciate it! (and it's the only bike Duke can ride on, and he loves it too!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I can relate Jill. I have had an ongoing affair with my KLR650, but every time I ride the FJR I can't imagine giving up on her for the long haul. But then some gravel road beckons......... best of both worlds.

How is it shifting with those boots? I can't imagine stopping at some off-camber road's red light with the leg-length issues you have. I give you tons of credit for pluck.

Nice!! Jill - have you had your Feej lowered ?
Yes, I have the Kouba lowers. Prior to that, I rode with the big boots AND the sliding off the seat at every stop, technique. It made every ride more exciting than it needed to have been. :lol:
I have mine lowered AND much of the foam cut out of the seat ! :lol: I'm thinking of getting a Corbin - missed a couple of great deals here lately. I tried Canucklehead's at CFR and it fits fine.

Going to have to pick up some extra shifts .....

I like my other bikes, DRZ is a kick (can go almost anywhere, go off a curb, dirt, no problem)) vulcan has the v-twin sound (cobra pipes) Shadow like cruizin on a motor boat! But when I get on the FJR, now I really appreciate it! (and it's the only bike Duke can ride on, and he loves it too!)
Sure is good to have choices. I'm one lucky gal in that I have the privilege of more than one bike to choose from.

After a spin on the FJR (which was everything Mr Carver described it to be an more), I took my little Honda out for a turn around the block. The CRF230 is a whole different kind of fun. Reaching the ground is less of an issue on a 200lb bike, so I changed out the platforms for regular boots.

Didn't feel like having a cigarette after that ride though, like I did the previous one. (And I don't smoke).

Yeah, I can relate Jill. I have had an ongoing affair with my KLR650, but every time I ride the FJR I can't imagine giving up on her for the long haul. But then some gravel road beckons......... best of both worlds.

How is it shifting with those boots? I can't imagine stopping at some off-camber road's red light with the leg-length issues you have. I give you tons of credit for pluck.
You said it. Gotta have the right bike for the right ride. What good fortune we are blessed with, to have choices.

Shifting in the goth boots is just something to get used to. The first pair of boots I tried (borrowed from my son-in-law who is an extreme goth) had separate soles and heels, with a gap between. Those were a nightmare to ride in. The flat soled boots, with vibram grip are much better.

I have to be very careful with off-camber stops. There is one signal on the way to work, where the road is worn into two grooves. The first time I rode the FJR down there, I stopped in the middle, on the crown of the lane. That was a huge mistake. Now, I stop in one of the wheel wells and briefly enjoy that feeling of security in having a foot down.

Had to stop on a steeply cambered freeway ramp, in heavy traffic a while back. My right foot was flat down and my knee was well bent. Left foot was miles from the ground. Fairlaner who was in front of me was laughing, at the sight in his mirror.

I have mine lowered AND much of the foam cut out of the seat ! :lol: I'm thinking of getting a Corbin - missed a couple of great deals here lately. I tried Canucklehead's at CFR and it fits fine.
Going to have to pick up some extra shifts .....
Mine is lowered, and has a Mayer seat. Glad you tried the Corbin before signing up for the extra shifts. I'm told that although the seat is lower, it is wider. You gain in comfort but not in height.

I'm also looking at those extra shifts because I have a fancy for a Roadcrafter suit. I recently learned that they can do all kinds of custom alterations, to a point where even I might get one to fit.

Had to stop on a steeply cambered freeway ramp, in heavy traffic a while back. My right foot was flat down and my knee was well bent. Left foot was miles from the ground. Fairlaner who was in front of me was laughing, at the sight in his mirror.
OMG! :lol: I stopped for a photo op at the Mt Rushmore sign - one of those "quick, let's stop and do this". Stopped the bike in 4th (WTF?!) gear on a sloped shoulder. I immediately realized that I couldn't take my right foot off the brake to brace the bike while I shifted down a gear or two because there was too much of a slope on the right side ! My ride buddy had to shift my gears with his hand !! :lol:

I LOVE that bike and I LOVED riding alone for 3 days from Calgary - across the Rockies - and to Tofino on Vancouver Island last year. But those silly little "tight spots" deter me from riding alone as a general rule.

Starting out in 2nd and even 3rd gear is 'doable'; I should practise starting off in 4th :p

It doesn't LOOK very sloped but it doesn't have to BE very sloped for me to be in a jam ;)

578798817_soKZA-M.jpg

I LOVE that bike and I LOVED riding alone for 3 days from Calgary - across the Rockies - and to Tofino on Vancouver Island last year. But those silly little "tight spots" deter me from riding alone as a general rule.
Starting out in 2nd and even 3rd gear is 'doable'; I should practise starting off in 4th :p

It doesn't LOOK very sloped but it doesn't have to BE very sloped for me to be in a jam ;)
Same here. I'm afraid to ride alone, because of the potential tight spots. Most times, careful planning of a parking spot can ensure a safe way out but of course, with a lowered bike one must be real careful of the camber, to get enough lean for the sidestand to work. The centerstand is pretty much not an option on a lowered bike.

I will ride my bike to work, since it's all familiar territory. Still can't back the bike into the parking space though. Riding in isn't an option since the bike parking is tucked into a corner. I have to get off and heft the bike into the space. Same with getting it out of the garage at home. I love it when Andy sets the bike up for me to ride out of the garage. Just got to do the tippy toe wobble to get the bike into neutral, then hold it on the rear brake while I press the door closer. Another wobble as I change feet to get it into gear and then off we go. I've gotten REAL good at timing signals etc so that I don't have to come to a complete stop. Riding very slowly up to the light is so much easier than having to stop.

Same here. I'm afraid to ride alone, because of the potential tight spots. Most times, careful planning of a parking spot can ensure a safe way out but of course, with a lowered bike one must be real careful of the camber, to get enough lean for the sidestand to work. The centerstand is pretty much not an option on a lowered bike.

I will ride my bike to work, since it's all familiar territory. Still can't back the bike into the parking space though. Riding in isn't an option since the bike parking is tucked into a corner. I have to get off and heft the bike into the space. Same with getting it out of the garage at home. I love it when Andy sets the bike up for me to ride out of the garage. Just got to do the tippy toe wobble to get the bike into neutral, then hold it on the rear brake while I press the door closer. Another wobble as I change feet to get it into gear and then off we go. I've gotten REAL good at timing signals etc so that I don't have to come to a complete stop. Riding very slowly up to the light is so much easier than having to stop.
Trust me. I know ALL those tricks ! I'm VERY good at balancing at red lights and stop signs :D

OMG! :lol: I stopped for a photo op at the Mt Rushmore sign - one of those "quick, let's stop and do this". Stopped the bike in 4th (WTF?!) gear on a sloped shoulder. I immediately realized that I couldn't take my right foot off the brake to brace the bike while I shifted down a gear or two because there was too much of a slope on the right side ! My ride buddy had to shift my gears with his hand !! :lol:

578798817_soKZA-M.jpg
Just curious MEM, but why couldn't you use the front brake to hold the bike, place the right foot down, lean slightly on the right foot and then use the left foot to shift down. BTW, good pic of you and your FJR. There are some great roads in that region.

doctorj

Just curious MEM, but why couldn't you use the front brake to hold the bike, place the right foot down, lean slightly on the right foot and then use the left foot to shift down. BTW, good pic of you and your FJR. There are some great roads in that region.
doctorj
Because putting my right foot down would have put the bike at too much of a lean angle and it'd have gone over on me :(

Edit: thank you for the kind words :)

Last edited by a moderator: