Back to FJR after Harley Street glide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This would be a great time to buy a used H-D...seriously, at least in my area/region. I frequently check Craigs List - dozens of them from 1 year to a decade or more old, very low miles - 1,000 - 5,000 is common, many owners now asking 50-60 percent of retail, which is still relatively low depreciation, but not what we saw a few years ago: "You can always sell them for what you paid." Many ads will state: lots of chrome, $5,000 in extras, very loud, never ridden in the rain, and so on. Truly, many of these are clearly pristine. Most tout after-market pipes, intakes and dyno re-tuning. Some claim the be "very fast." Question is, how many of these pristine used bikes are selling, or selling near the asking price? I talked to a service manager at the local H-D boutique recently and he remarked that they are selling the hell out of brand new bikes - breaking records - despite the robust used supply, stating buyers want the Rushmore upgrades and will pay for them. Really, in my view, the most significant upgrade to the H-D line-up in about 30 years is the new "shower head" water cooling - that's actual engineering progress - the only Rushmore "upgrade" that goes much beyond cosmetics, ergonomics and electronics.
For a long time Harleys had great resale value cuz they never really improved, but they have been get'in better which makes the used ones harder to unload. Yer right, it is a good time to buy a Harley; if'n you want one.

Like most (it's statistically unavoidable), I've got H/D riding buddies. Brody rides a Switchback and rides it very well. I really like that bike and would consider it if H/D was the only bike to buy. Randy rides an Ultra Glide and again, very well. John rides a BEAUTIFUL burnt orange Street Glide (HOLY CRAP is that bike gorgeous) and like the others, knows how to lean it and is not afraid to do so. They are good experienced riders and courteous enough to let me lead, knowing that I'm a faster than they are. They are not afraid to go somewhere (they've ridden to Sturgis from south Louisiana), their exhaust is reasonably quiet, and will NOT drink and ride. Good enough for Pants. Of course they don't wear the gear, but it's not my hide, so live and let live (hopefully - fingers crossed).
The riding position on the bike is a matter of taste, but I just can't get around the lack of a counter balancer in the motor.

I really don't mind much what you ride - if you like it, and you won't try to kill me, I'll gladly ride with you anywhere, anytime.

To the OP - welcome back. We've missed you!
Your Hardley riding buddies are apparently similar to some of mine. Nice guys and no drinking and riding. My only beef with them is the smell of exhaust. Their bikes are FI and very late models but they stink like hell. For that reason and lack of speed thru the twisties I insist on taking the lead.

Hmmmmmmmm, oh, yeah: Fuck Harleys. No POS Harley will ever roll into my garage or benefit from another tire plug, a splash of gas or a phone call.
Those bone smuggling pirates have Honda outsold 12 to 1, so they should have 12x as much help showing up. Too bad only about 1% of those idiots actually knows how to do anything except start their tractor, put gas in it, and open a beer bottle.
Wow Zilla!!! Don't let them "bone smuggling pirates" get your home address!!! Sleep with one eye open!!