Bad day for me...06 down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]K-2,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Also consider taking a rider education course. It sounds like (please don't be insulted) that this mishap could have been prevented if you were more aware of the conditions you discribed.[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE=12pt]Be Safe...and Ride Again Soon![/SIZE]
Not insulted in the slightest. That is excellent advice and I greatly appreciate it. I've been riding 8 years and have never had formal trainging. You are right...this one was easily avoided if I only knew. The fact that it was avoidable makes my aching body and broken FJR much worse!
Sorry about your incident....the fact that your body is intact makes your insurance deductible a cheap lesson. Count your blessings and enjoy your insurance benefits...

Ride Safe,

Ron

UPDATE...Thanks for all your help. This forum has been great!

I got the bike back after 9 weeks. It's not done yet, there are parts still on backorder, but I desperately want to ride it and had them put a few damaged parts back on while we wait for new parts. Repair bill so far is $2,600 and the reassembly is a little sloppy (I started new tread this week for this issue).

I leave thursday for an 8 state trip from Indiana to Deal's Gap, Cherohala Skywy, Blowing Rock, etc. with my dad (BMW LT rider). Can't wait!

Shu,

Would I be able to tell if something serious like my forks or frame got tweaked? Or do I just have to trust the mechanics to determine that stuff?

Thanks, all!

I can't help but wonder if the over-sensitive throttle response at low RPM's didn't play a role in your accident.
Nope. I goosed it. And I even contemplated do so as I entered the turn... :huh:

Yup, call your insurance company. Ask point blank what will happen to your premium (if you're paranoid, don't give them your name the first call). Then you can make up your mind.
use an outside line. if you distrust your carrier enough to ask ahead of time, don't give them caller ID info.

Dairyland covers a couple thousand dollars in Farkles...
+3000 as their base (without a rider) that, i think, can include riding gear.

@ Fred H. :you're consistent, for sure :p
Yea, now if only someone could come up with some kind of fix for that. :ph34r:
i suspect that throttle response is a factory defect for all those Mazarati's out there, too. :russian_roulette:

This is a bit of a side issue but what are the forum's thoughts on sliders? I see they are availablefor a lot of sport bikes and the FJR but do they really work?
Yep. https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/ea/ea.html

armor01.jpg

This is a bit of a side issue but what are the forum's thoughts on sliders? I see they are availablefor a lot of sport bikes and the FJR but do they really work?
I think YES is too simple of an answer.

For low speed drops sliders can save lots of damage.

In the right conditions they can cause the bike to flip and do more damage.

The circumstances when more damage occurs may not be what most of us buy them for but is still part of the equation.

The most common are built of hard plastic and are meant to grind away slowing the bike down.

Ones made of solid material can actually cause the bike to speed up as it slides.

I am sure you could start a thread in itself on this and one probably already exists.

Because of that I resort back to my, Yes is too simple of an answer comment.

Let the flames begin...

I have the Moko sliders and they really did the job in a zero speed downhill tip-over. The mushroom end is slightly mashed but my fairing was undamaged (just some scuffs on the saddlebag and engine cover). So yeah, they work!

This is a bit of a side issue but what are the forum's thoughts on sliders? I see they are available

for a lot of sport bikes and the FJR but do they really work?
I think YES is too simple of an answer.

For low speed drops sliders can save lots of damage.

In the right conditions they can cause the bike to flip and do more damage.

The circumstances when more damage occurs may not be what most of us buy them for but is still part of the equation.

The most common are built of hard plastic and are meant to grind away slowing the bike down.

Ones made of solid material can actually cause the bike to speed up as it slides.

I am sure you could start a thread in itself on this and one probably already exists.

Because of that I resort back to my, Yes is too simple of an answer comment.

Let the flames begin...
Thanks for the information. Yes is a little brief but it is a response :)

i suspect that throttle response is a factory defect for all those Mazarati's out there, too.
Come back and lets talk after you have ridden an 06 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
i suspect that throttle response is a factory defect for all those Mazarati's out there, too.
I spoke with quite a few... 10 or so. maybe 15 ... riders after the ride demo's at the WFO.. ( since I was right at the staging area all weekend ) ....not one complained about throttle respone at all ! :blink:

I spoke with quite a few... 10 or so. maybe 15 ... riders after the ride demo's at the WFO.. ( since I was right at the staging area all weekend ) ....not one complained about throttle respone at all ! :blink:
I've ridden 2 '06's now and they seem the same as my '04?

I've ridden 2 '06's now and they seem the same as my '04?
Then I give up. The progressive throttle pulley must have had absolutely no effect on the throttle response if that is the case. I wonder why Yamaha went to the trouble to put it on if it made no change.

It must all be in my imagination.

They did... no one complained.. ya miss that point ???? :blink:
Well, I was suggesting that YOU ride one instead of reporting what someone else said (or didn't say).

It is becoming apparent that this topic is going to be just like the heat issue on previous models where some owners said "heat? what heat? seems fine to me."

I guess there is no point in me discussing it any further.

They did... no one complained.. ya miss that point ???? :blink:
Well, I was suggesting that YOU ride one instead of reporting what someone else says.

It is becoming apparent that this topic is going to be just like the heat issue on previous models where some owners said "heat? what heat? seems fine to me."

I guess there is no point in me discussing it any further.

Wish I could have Fred! 4 weeks after back surgey I was happy to make it to WFO.. no test rides ( or any other rides ) for me.

Most opinions on the 06 were :

Longer wheelbase is more stable.

It's slower to throw it back and forth in the curves.

Less heat than my 03/ 04 / 05

AE is better than I'd thought it be.

Roll on in 5th is definately slower.

and the best of all....

" The Yamaha sweep said I left a huge darkie in the parking lot " which proves you can burn rubber on a AE !

This is directed toward Fred and all of the other 06 riders who feel there is an issue with the throttle pulley design.

There is no doubt that the pulley design was changed, I think everyone can agree on that. If those of you feel that this is a safety issue, then I encourage you to open a case with the NHTSA to start a defect investigation. Here is the link:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

This is how most recalls and TSB's get started, by consumers filing a complaint. They investigate every one of them. If they receive alot of them, they do investigate thoroughly.

Alternatively, you could start pushing the issue with Yamaha customer service, although I'm not sure how far thats going to go. Filing complaints with the NHTSA will get you a much quicker response.

As has been pointed out by members on this forum, there is a concensus that there is something wrong with the design of the throttle pulley and that it has been changed from the previous design and this design makes the motorcycle tricky, if not dangerous to drive. Someone posted in this thread, asking if the persons low side could have possibly been related to the throttle pulley design.

I personally do not feel anything is wrong with my 06, but thats just me. Maybe there was a bad batch of throttle pulleys or they were assembled incorrectly. It has happened before. There have been enough people who have tried Fred's fix and have been happy with it and have also echoed sentiments that the bike is hard to drive without the fix. I think it is those motorcyclists duty to open complaints with the NHTSA. In all sincerity, if their complaints force Yamaha to change the design and that change saves someone from serious injury or death, then it is worth all of the arguments and discussion over this particular issue. In all honesty, I don't believe Yamaha will do anything about it unless the government forces them to investigate and acknowledge there is an issue.

This is directed toward Fred and all of the other 06 riders who feel there is an issue with the throttle pulley design.
There is no doubt that the pulley design was changed, I think everyone can agree on that. If those of you feel that this is a safety issue, then I encourage you to open a case with the NHTSA to start a defect investigation. Here is the link:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

This is how most recalls and TSB's get started, by consumers filing a complaint. They investigate every one of them. If they receive alot of them, they do investigate thoroughly.

Alternatively, you could start pushing the issue with Yamaha customer service, although I'm not sure how far thats going to go. Filing complaints with the NHTSA will get you a much quicker response.

As has been pointed out by members on this forum, there is a concensus that there is something wrong with the design of the throttle pulley and that it has been changed from the previous design and this design makes the motorcycle tricky, if not dangerous to drive. Someone posted in this thread, asking if the persons low side could have possibly been related to the throttle pulley design.

I personally do not feel anything is wrong with my 06, but thats just me. Maybe there was a bad batch of throttle pulleys or they were assembled incorrectly. It has happened before. There have been enough people who have tried Fred's fix and have been happy with it and have also echoed sentiments that the bike is hard to drive without the fix. I think it is those motorcyclists duty to open complaints with the NHTSA. In all sincerity, if their complaints force Yamaha to change the design and that change saves someone from serious injury or death, then it is worth all of the arguments and discussion over this particular issue. In all honesty, I don't believe Yamaha will do anything about it unless the government forces them to investigate and acknowledge there is an issue.
Thanks for the link--I just filed a report and encourage anyone having this problem to do so.