Bad day for the FJR and me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night (saturday) around 11:00 I headed to the local gas station to get a soda for the misses. I tell you she can become down right scary if she does not get her daily dose of caffeine. So, I suited up and headed out to get her a Sunkist. Right before I turned into the gas station parking lot the red and blue lights appeared in my mirrors. No big deal, I made sure I had copies of all the required paperwork with me. So, I pulled into a parking spot, dismounted and took my helmet off. The officer and I talked a bit about the bike not having a clutch.

As some of you may remember, I finally got my bike on the 23rd. After getting the bike, I called the Nevada DMV to ask if I needed a temporary moving permit, as I did on my last bike. I was informed I would not need a moving permit since I bought the bike from a dealer, not a private party. However, I only have 30 days from the date of purchase, not from the day I took possession of the bike. It turns out the girl I talked to on the phone was incorrect. A temporary moving permit is required if a vehicle is purchased from an out of state dealer. The officer was cool about it, but I was still not sure what his plan was, I might get a ticket, or he might impound my bike. So he suggested I head in the store and get my soda while he looked over the paper work I gave him and called in the VIN to make sure the bike was not stolen.

After getting my soda and talking with the clerk about being pulled over. I headed outside and the officer I talked a bit more. He was standing on one side of the bike and I on the other. He simply walked around to the rear of the bike, pulled his gun on me, and started yelling. OH SHIT!!! So there I was standing looking away from him with my hands in the air waiting for other units to show up. It took no time at all for 5 or 6 more to show up. I could see all the cars in the glass reflection.

So, I am cuffed and put on the ground looking at the wall of the store. I am trying to figure this out. I was informed I am being arrested for possession of a stolen vehicle. Oh my goodness, this sucks. I happen to know the dealer is closed on Sunday and there is nothing I can do before Monday. The officer lets me give my S.O.'s phone number to the store clerk for him to call her. So, I gave him the number and told him ask her to call our pre-paid legal service.

Then I was put into the car. I got the pleasure of sitting in the car for 45 minutes waiting on a flat bed tow truck to show up to get my bike. The S.O. showed up more then a bit freaked and told me the pre-paid legal service was getting in touch with a lawyer in our area. While we talked a bit though the window her mobile phone rang, it was the lawyer. She asked the officer where I was being taken.

Off to the sheriff's office to be booked. Apparently, it was a slow night. It took no time at all to get me into a hot pink jump suit. About an hour after booking I was pulled out of the cell to talk with my lawyer. He had all the original paperwork on the bike, which my wife gave him, and a little bit of the paper work from sheriff's office. He did not have the final report since the officer had not completed it yet and would not until the end of his shift. However, the lawyer and I found a problem with one of the set of paperwork. The VIN numbers did not match.

My lawyer left to go talk to who ever he needed to. He returned to tell me they were sending an officer to the tow companies lot where impound vehicles are kept to verify the VIN. About 20 minutes later the officer who originally pulled me over and the watch commander came into the meeting room to apologize. Apparently, when he called in the VIN ether he or dispatch transposed the last 2 digits of the VIN from 45 to 54. I can tell you the bike which ends in 54 is a stolen FJR1300AE. I guess when dispatch confirmed the make, model, and color they did not feel the need to verify the VIN a second time just to be sure.

It took just a few minutes to get my cloths back and meet my S.O. to take me to the tow yard to get my bike. The whole thing took about 3.5 hours. So, I did not take my bike out today. I had hopes of putting another 50 or so miles on it and getting the 600-mile service complete. I guess I will need to fit this in later this week.

By the way, $26 a month for pre-paid legal is well worth it. In the last year, I got help with this problem and they got a speeding ticket thrown out in CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody hell. Can you claim for deprivation of liberty...considering it really was the Stuff Up of the law enforcement 'officer'?

Please don't get me wrong guys I'm very much pro USA but...FUCK ME! That is so fucking over the top! I know it's a bit of an occupational hazard being a Cop over there but Jesus enough with the elevated testosterone levels....I would be fucking spewing if that happened to me and not very accommodating when it came to "Oops we made a little mistake lets be friends now"....yeah right like fuck. Sue the arse off the state for all their worth. (oh and I am very pro police too I kid you not)

John T

This is the stuff "B-Movies" are made of. :blink: What a bummer!

"Gee, we're sorry" for 3,5 hours of your life and a mouthful of sidewalk dust just don't cut it.

You ought to get 6 months immunity from traffic tickets as compensation... :rolleyes: and make sure you use it all up

Stef

Deleted.

Posted before midnight....are you sure this isn't "April Fools" just before the wire?

That brings back memories for me, although I made out better than you did.

When I was 18 or 19 I bought a brand new 75 Honda 400F. I took off and started riding with no destination. (Early sport tourer?)

Since I lived in Memphis, I ended up across the river in Arkansas. While cruising through a small Arkansas town, I realized the local Sheriff was following me. Uh-Oh, rural law enforcement in the South; they make movies about these encounters.

He pulled me over, gave me the third degree about where I was from, my temporary tags, etc. He took my paperwork, and when his back-up arrived, they started looking at my VIN# and the paperwork. They took turns checking and must have looked at my VIN a dozen times.

Turns out a 400F had been stolen from a local dealer and the VIN was the same as mine except the the last number was one digit off.

They let me go, but I could see the disappointment on their faces. I unclenched my sphincter, and SLOWLY left town.

If this is not an April fool's joke, I can't believe the officer didn't get a hard copy of the hit and verify the VINs, or at least call it in for a double check after he had you cuffed and stuffed. Totally unprofessional. Believe me, this sort of thing is NOT what a cop wants to be explaining to his superiors.

Bet the cop doesn't make the same mistake twice.

B)

Wow, I guess "Reno 9-1-1" is based in fact after all. Whodda thunk?

+1 on what Thug said. You've got false imprisonment, and a possible violation of your civil liberties.

That cop acted like a total knob and needs to be taken to task. Even if you did steal the bike, he had it in posession, and how far would you have gotten on foot anyway? Unfortunately, the cop trade tends to draw more than its share of bad apples, IMHO. Was he short, or obviously too out of shape to easily run you down?

And make damn sure they didn't scratch the bike at all.

Whoa! sounds like you got"nailed" by a rookie on his first day without supervision.

The lawyer from pre-paid legal and I are supposed to talk later today about what options I have. Don’t get me wrong, I am upset about this, but I am not sure I will do anything about it. If I had spent the weekend in that hot pink jump suit it would be a different story.

The officer screwed up, I am not sure if he was new, or just plain in a hurry. However, people do make mistakes. I have even made a few of my own. There was a certain amount of satisfaction when he came to apologize. I am not sure if the watch commander had laid into him yet or was about to, but he just looked like someone had killed his dog.

Deleted.
Posted before midnight....are you sure this isn't "April Fools" just before the wire?
Nope, not a April Fools.

I waited posting this till everyone had stop posting April Fools posts.
I would say that this entitles you to at least one get out of jail free card when it comes to that particular officer. Any infractions in the future, just refer the ticketing officer to your new friend.

The lawyer from pre-paid legal and I are supposed to talk later today about what options I have. Don’t get me wrong, I am upset about this, but I am not sure I will do anything about it. If I had spent the weekend in that hot pink jump suit it would be a different story.
The officer screwed up, I am not sure if he was new, or just plain in a hurry. However, people do make mistakes. I have even made a few of my own. There was a certain amount of satisfaction when he came to apologize. I am not sure if the watch commander had laid into him yet or was about to, but he just looked like someone had killed his dog.
Agree with that 100%, you did at least get an apology and people do make mistakes.

I wouldn't be really happy about it either, and it's hard to show restraint and mercy.

Shitznit happens, no blood, no foul.

You would have thought the officer would have exhibited some common sense....do most grand theft auto felons engage in casual conversation, walk into a store, buy a soda?...doesn't exactly 'fit the profile'... uh oh, wait a minute...I read this on the internet, so it must be true.....

sunkist.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]'The preferred beverage of motorcycle-stealing felons everywhere'[/SIZE]

Yikes! :rolleyes: Having the 'Heat' unjustified draw a bead on you ought to be worth some $moola. Glad they didn't ventalate you. In WA State (under currant law) you can get caught stealing 7 cars before you get any jail time. So maybe you could have just signed your own release. TJ :rolleyes:

Common sense is not something everyone posses. Judge and executioner rolled into one is a scary proposition. Maybe he misplaced you for some dirtbag from a previous take-down? Either way it's not a good situation for you. <_<

Purchasing the soda was sure fire proof that the bike was stolen. How else was you gonna be able to outrun the cop and motorola while staying hydrated? :huh:

It's not enough to ask someone if the vehicle is stolen anymore eh, and work it out from there amicably? Standard operating procedure in the USA "guilty until proven innocent".

You would have thought the officer would have exhibited some common sense....do most grand theft auto felons engage in casual conversation, walk into a store, buy a soda?...doesn't exactly 'fit the profile'... uh oh, wait a minute...I read this on the internet, so it must be true.....
sunkist.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]'The preferred beverage of motorcycle-stealing felons everywhere'[/SIZE]
Actually, yes they do sometimes-- even some who have just killed their wives. I encountered one.

Kind of like the 5'2" redhead female I stopped in a car matching her and the car's description 10 minutes after she had pulled a bank robbery. Looked over the top with 2 guys drawing down on a little woman laying face down on the street, until I pulled the loaded .357 off the front seat where she had been sitting a minute before. Cash was there too.

And any cop who doesn't do a felony take down, "profile" or not, is just plain stupid, and probably won't live until retirement.

Damn dude! Sorry to hear your tale. What a major bummer. That cop really scewed the pooch when he didn't verify the VIN. That is standard procedure. No doubt he feels pretty bad about it and will having trouble explaining his fuck-up to his superiors.

Sounds like you have a great attitude on this. You have every right to be pissed, yet good people do make bad mistakes. Since it didn't actually happen to me, it's hard for me to actually be in your shoes, but how about this solution - Write a letter to the police agency and nicely express your displeasure over the incident. Tell them you also realize mistakes are made, but this was a doozy, and you were profoundly effected by it. To make it right, your request is simple, dinner for you and your wife at the nicest restaurant in Reno - on them.

Other than that, one thing I am sure you are discussing with your attorney, and the thing I would be most concerned about is getting the record of the arrest cleared from your record that is kept by the FBI in a national computer. From what little I know, that just won't happen automatically. If you don't make that happen, then in the future, if an LEO ever runs your criminal history or *rap sheet*, it will show an arrest for auto theft (and the date) and that's it. No other information. No info on whether convicted, or found not-guilty, and no information that it was all some big boo-boo and a police screw up.

Actually, yes they do sometimes-- even some who have just killed their wives. I encountered one.
Kind of like the 5'2" redhead female I stopped in a car matching her and the car's description 10 minutes after she had pulled a bank robbery. Looked over the top with 2 guys drawing down on a little woman laying face down on the street, until I pulled the loaded .357 off the front seat where she had been sitting a minute before. Cash was there too.

And any cop who doesn't do a felony take down, "profile" or not, is just plain stupid, and probably won't live until retirement.
+1

Folks, it's real easy to play Monday morning quarterback, but until you have done the job......................

Fact is, the officer was simply following his training. That's right, when dealing with a felon, a "felony take-down" (method of arresting a suspect with guns drawn ect.) is standard procedure. And that entails treating the suspect as life threatening until proven otherwise. Sure, under the current circumstances it sounds pretty harsh. But when it comes to dealing with people who are committing serious crimes and who are very possibly very dangerous, a police officer is trained not to take any chances. If any of you were in the cops shoes, I doubt you would have done things much differently. I really don't want to start another cop bashing thread as have occurred previously on this forum, and no doubt the cop screwed up, but not in how he dealt with who he thought was a felon.